D* DVR reliability vs E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well you know you're asking a loaded question, of course...but while E*'s latest DVR's may have better functionality, overall D* DVR's seem to be more reliable.

Agree, Seems like max life for a VIP is about 2-3 years before Hard drives crap out

HR's Seem to have software buggs, But rare for a major failure.

There is also a limit of one stream per Server to consider. You could not remotely view more than one show from a single DVR (Server) to another H series, DVR or PC (or Clients). Increasing DVRs increases the number of possible streams but again the same limitation exits; one stream per Server.

Just clarifying since I'm set up for an install in 2 weeks w/ 1HD DVR and 1 HD. Obviously if I'm recording on both tuners at the same time on the DVR, I can only watch a previously recorded show in room 1.

Can the 2nd room w/ the HD watch a previously recorded show also or since there are 2 recordings active already is that stream considered busy?

Just clarifying since I'm set up for an install in 2 weeks w/ 1HD DVR and 1 HD. Obviously if I'm recording on both tuners at the same time on the DVR, I can only watch a previously recorded show in room 1.

Can the 2nd room w/ the HD watch a previously recorded show also or since there are 2 recordings active already is that stream considered busy?

Yes; your HD can still be a Client; in that case, the stream would not be considered busy. It's also still possible to start a VOD download and start viewing it as well and still be capable of a single MRV stream to the HD. IOW, you could be recording two shows on the DVR, start a VOD d/l and start watching shortly afterwards. If the the VOD was being viewed on the DVR, the DVR could also still Serve any single MRV stream to a compatible device including a PC. It could be anything on the DVR, even the recordings in-progress or the VOD d/l and it doesn't matter if the DVR that's d/l is viewing it or not, you can view it in another room as long as single stream from Server is adhered to. I'm using the PC to test the stream from.

In my case, the other two DVRs in the home could still stream simultaneously to/from each while all this was going on but my third DVR is no longer connected to the DECA network to protect the shows I want to share with my wife's DVR. But you can see that multiple DVRs increase the likelihood of recording multiple shows while still being able to watch recorded programming or VOD d/l in-progress.

It's a good test for your DECA connection to demonstrate what it can do. All of those could be HD as well but the VOD d/l speed would depend on the speed of your INTERNET connection.

I'm doing it right now to test and I found an old 1080P Charles Bronson flick "10 to Midnight" to d/l for free. My HR22-100 is handling that load, ATM. The HR24-500 is recording while this is going on; it's in the b/r with the wife and she's asleep. The best thing about the HR24 is that it's very quiet. I cannot hear it at all unless it's rebooting. Directv does not force a daily reboot like Dish did when I was with them as a subscriber.

Last edited:
for whatever it's worth I'm on my 4th 622 from E* in the past 9 months, and it's out in the open in my basement... First two had "power failures" and would just enter a continual reboot cycle, the last one had a HD failure... my D* install is tomorrow... here's to hoping the new equip lasts a bit longer.

the HD fan on the 622 is loud, I can hear it across the room compared to my projector which is sitting right above my head and I can't hear a thing from it (over the 622 at least).

for whatever it's worth I'm on my 4th 622 from E* in the past 9 months, and it's out in the open in my basement... First two had "power failures" and would just enter a continual reboot cycle, the last one had a HD failure... my D* install is tomorrow... here's to hoping the new equip lasts a bit longer.

the HD fan on the 622 is loud, I can hear it across the room compared to my projector which is sitting right above my head and I can't hear a thing from it (over the 622 at least).

Welcome to D* and if you get the HR24's you'll find that they are very quiet.
I have yet to have a Hard Drive go bad on any of my DVR's in the last 6 years

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts