D* picture to dark?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

acpmadness

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Got the H10, switch from Voom and I was wondering does anyone else seem like the picture on D* is a lot darker than Voom? I don't think the PQ is any worse than Voom, cause Voom was really pixelated. But D* just seems to have a darker picture to me.

Black Crush

AS PER AV SCIENCE Compare HDMDVI to component to see if it's the black crush bug.

darker picture

I just got my d* hd service also, It does seem to have a quite bit darker picture than voom. I'm getting the few second black out one or twice a hour too . I'm using the hdmi connection.

Steve

Yeah everyone gets the HDMI 2 second back out, I don't get why they won't fix it.

Ex-voomer here. Just got the Directv H-10 going. Yes, it's definitely darker. I was hoping it would be brighter when I went got my HDMI/DVI adaptor. I'll hope no longer. Oh, and I can look forward to drop outs too? Quality product and concern for the customer... not a strong point for Directv I guess. :( That's why they make you commit to a year or more. :mad: They know you'll bolt if there is a better product. Of course the competition isn't that great. And now there's one less company. :(

drop-outs and dark pic

I thought my eyes were going, but the pic is definately darker.....the drop-outs are annoying....called "tech support" and was told there was a known issue with the HDMI connection, but that they were working on a fix for it. The CSR advised me to use the component connection, which I am not willing to do. I'm still within the 30 day period in which I can cancel, and I'm seriously thinking of going with E........not at all impressed with D so far...

polargrowler said:
I thought my eyes were going, but the pic is definately darker.....the drop-outs are annoying....called "tech support" and was told there was a known issue with the HDMI connection, but that they were working on a fix for it. The CSR advised me to use the component connection, which I am not willing to do. I'm still within the 30 day period in which I can cancel, and I'm seriously thinking of going with E........not at all impressed with D so far...
There are many posts of people using component output with very little to NO difference in PQ. Why not give it a view? As you point out, you have 30 days to evaluate. If the PQ is acceptable, great and you still switch back when a fix is available. Just my 2 cents.

Drm

The Reason you use HDMI is DTV DOOOOWN rezzing, when it happens, its a no win mess

bi0drain said:
The Reason you use HDMI is DTV DOOOOWN rezzing, when it happens, its a no win mess

I won't even try to figure out how you correlate using HDMI with D*'s downrezzing.

I'm saying with D*, their going to get better and have more HD than E*. Just give them time...

There are many posts of people using component output with very little to NO difference in PQ. Why not give it a view? As you point out, you have 30 days to evaluate. If the PQ is acceptable, great and you still switch back when a fix is available. Just my 2 cents.

My components are beening use via Xbox and PS2, plus I didn't spend $125 dallors on HDMI cables just to downgrade.

Maybe you should try upgrading your STB by switching to a non-DirecTV branded box like the LG LSS-3200a, Sony SAT-HD300, RCA DTC-210, or the previous season's Zenith HD-SAT520? I have 2 of these listed boxes; one connected via HDMI to my FPTV, and the other is component to my UltraVision RPTV and NEITHER have micro black-outs or dark PQ.

acpmadness said:
My components are beening use via Xbox and PS2, plus I didn't spend $125 dallors on HDMI cables just to downgrade.

well I understand that your component inputs are being used by other devices, but you might want to temporaily disconnect one of them to see if the signal is better. I also own a PS2 and I don't believe that it can produce a progressive output signal (480P) so you could switch it out to a S-video, or composite connection for a little while. just a thought.

Regarding HDMI cables...
where the heck are you finding HDMI cables for $125 bucks?
Heres a link to amazon.com that has some for as low as $23.00.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=electronics&field-keywords=HDMI%252520cable&field-browse=172282&search-type=ss&bq=1&store-name=electronics/ref=xs_ap_sai1_xgl23/104-8409482-0119954

I just did a froogle on HDMI cables and found places selling them for as low as 10 bucks.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=HDMI+cable&scoring=p

Also With HDMI and DVI there is no need to go with Monster or other higher end cables. These connections are pure digital and won't degrade like a analog connection can. Therefore a DVI or HDMI cable costing 10 bucks and one costing 100 bucks will deliver the same signal with the same data integrity.

acpmadness said:
*sigh* RIP Voom.

I feel the same. I have to say I'm getting a big kick out of all the E* converts. Dish offers 10 VOOM channels and you'd think by some of the comments here that Charlie Ergen will be the new savior of HD. And he might be.. VOOM hasn't been gone a month yet and I'm not near ready to parade anyone at E* or D* as the new king of all things television.

As much as I love my D* HD-DVR....I'd take a full service VOOM back in a heartbeat.

riggscm said:
I also own a PS2 and I don't believe that it can produce a progressive output signal (480P) so you could switch it out to a S-video, or composite connection for a little while. just a thought.

Do yourself a favor and buy ATV offroad fury II, one of the ESPN NFL games, etc etc etc.

In short, yes, a PS2 *can* do 480p, but only on a few games.

riggscm said:
Regarding HDMI cables...
Also With HDMI and DVI there is no need to go with Monster or other higher end cables. These connections are pure digital and won't degrade like a analog connection can. Therefore a DVI or HDMI cable costing 10 bucks and one costing 100 bucks will deliver the same signal with the same data integrity.

Sounds like he bought a Monster from BestBuy or someplace like that without researching first. Its tough to make good accessory decisions when you are making a big TV purchase and you want to be able to use it as soon as you get it home (or delivered) and don't want to wait for a package to be delivered from some internet vendor. Happens every day. That's where the true profits are at AV stores.

As far as the quality of the cable being irrelavent, that's not really true. Just because a cable transfers a digital signal doesn't mean that the quality can't suffer if the cable is poor quality. There is absolutly no error correction on DVI or HDMI and the data stream can loose 'bits' of information if the cable or connectors are poorly made. It shows up as static or sparkles in the image. DVI is much more susceptable to poor quality cables, especially on a long run.

That being said, the quality of the inexpensive DVI/HDMI cables is usually more than sufficient. The ones from Monster and other expensive manufacturers are overkill.

riggscm said:
I also own a PS2 and I don't believe that it can produce a progressive output signal (480P) so you could switch it out to a S-video, or composite connection for a little while. just a thought.

OMG dude, your crazy. GT4 outputs a 1080i signal and it looks great, no way in hell am I dropping the component cables for XBox and PS2.... I'll downgrade the H10 to s-video before my PS2 and Xbox. Or get ride of HD programming all together and go back to analog SD.

riggscm said:
Regarding HDMI cables...

Radio Shack. Monster Cables 400 HDMI to DVI 24k gold plated, the best. You can buy cheap cables if you want I'm getting the good stuff.

acpmadness said:
Radio Shack. Monster Cables 400 HDMI to DVI 24k gold plated, the best. You can buy cheap cables if you want I'm getting the good stuff.

I guess you like pissin' money away.;)

Hey if you can afford it then go for it, but like MANY other members on this site have stated, its not worth it.

no worries... if thats your thing run with it.

acpmadness said:

Certainly not "the best", but definetly the most over priced. I believe Better Cables and Tributaries make better stuff at more reasonable prices.

Is there a 'fix' for this dark PQ issue... mine is HORRIBLE, just awful, on my 46" DLP from Sammy. I usually ahve to run at or under 70% brightness but here I have it at almost 95% (and then it starts' to wash even though it doesn't get brighter) with my contrast at 100% just to see it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts