"D" Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
I've been reading Sat Guys for many years. Long enough to remember when Directv and Dish were referred to as "D" and "E". I have subscribed to both and am thinking about coming back to "D". A few questions please. I should know this one but when I first go to the FORUM section I see numbers for both "D" and "E". For "E" they are 73,200/1,048,137 and for "D" they are 32,766/38,422. I would expect "D" to have the higher number since they have more subscribers. It also seems to me that the "E" Forum is more informative in general. They have a Hopper Section yet "D" has no Genie section. In the past I have seen a Hopper review from Scott but don't recall seeing one from Scott on the Genie. I am also surprised to see the release of the Hopper 3 but no news on a upgrade to the Genie unless it's the HR54. Is something else coming? I do like the Auto Hop on the Hopper and wondered if it is a proprietary feature with "E". The last Genie I looked at used a guide that went out only 90 minutes compared to "E"s three hours. Three hours seems more logical since it encompasses all of the Prime Time coverage thus making recording selections easier. It probably sounds like I prefer the Hopper and I suppose I do but I'm going to switch because of PQ and cost, like many people are going. FYI, PTAT is also an awesome feature which I would love to see "D" adopt.

Prime time any time is pointless. I would like to tell my DVR what to record not have it be full of The Voice or Dancing with semi Stars... Also, they were (and still are) referred to as D* and E*...

the HR54 is the lastest and greatest DVR from D*, but the only advantage it has over the HR44 right now is the ability to hand off 4k to the C61K client. there is no "answer" to the H3 from D*. PTAT isnt going to happen. im sure there is a software patent on it *sigh*. guide is only 1.5 hours still. the D* remote has a 30s skip (or slip) but does not have the auto hop. the HD PQ is better on D*.

how many rooms do you have, and are any 4k?

Zashel, I only have one TV so the Genie alone will be all I need. I do have a Sony 75X850C 4K TV though so 4K content is important, especially a couple of years down the road.. ejb1980, I can't recall the last time I've seen Dish referred to here as "E", but I know it used to be years ago. Most people here probably aren't old enough to remember the Echo Star connection. Your opinion on PTAT is cool and shared by more than a few. I quickly grew to love it, but to each his own .For those that do not already know this, PTAT records every show on ABC,CBS,NBC, and FOX between 7pm (Phoenix) and 10PM while utilizing only one tuner. Of course the original Hopper only has three tuners while the Genie has 5. You can turn PTAT on or off for any day if you want. I have it off on Saturday night. It's not too difficult to delete the next day what you don't want to keep. I would love to see Auto Hop and PTAT on the Genie. Add a three hour guide to the Genie and it would be perfect, at least for me. I have always felt that having "D" and "E" out there bumping heads is good for all of us. I think that "D" provides a better overall picture and for those with a large screen like my 75 inch PQ is very high on my want list. I will miss the PAC 12 Network but hopefully not for too much longer. Good to know about the HR44 vs HR54 Zashel. Thanks.

D* deal right now i believe is 2 receivers included in the price lock. if you're going to get the 4k programming you MUST have ultimate or premium package (one of the top two). so you'll have the geine AND the C61K on the same TV. if you think you're going to have another location set up in the future you can see if the installer will just run the 2nd tv line anyway.

Zashel, I only have one TV so the Genie alone will be all I need. I do have a Sony 75X850C 4K TV though so 4K content is important, especially a couple of years down the road.. ejb1980, I can't recall the last time I've seen Dish referred to here as "E", but I know it used to be years ago. Most people here probably aren't old enough to remember the Echo Star connection. Your opinion on PTAT is cool and shared by more than a few. I quickly grew to love it, but to each his own .For those that do not already know this, PTAT records every show on ABC,CBS,NBC, and FOX between 7pm (Phoenix) and 10PM while utilizing only one tuner. Of course the original Hopper only has three tuners while the Genie has 5. You can turn PTAT on or off for any day if you want. I have it off on Saturday night. It's not too difficult to delete the next day what you don't want to keep. I would love to see Auto Hop and PTAT on the Genie. Add a three hour guide to the Genie and it would be perfect, at least for me. I have always felt that having "D" and "E" out there bumping heads is good for all of us. I think that "D" provides a better overall picture and for those with a large screen like my 75 inch PQ is very high on my want list. I will miss the PAC 12 Network but hopefully not for too much longer. Good to know about the HR44 vs HR54 Zashel. Thanks.

It's not "E" and "D" it's E* as in Echo Star and D* for Directv, and it was always P* for Primestar.. Pac12 and Epix are the only advantages of Dish aka E*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)