D*'s Widgets---WTH???

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I feel that as soon as someone gets the channel count that D* has you will see a mass exodus away from them if they don't get the DVR problems solved.

I don't think this will happen. It's kind of like some of the E* folks saying there would be a mass exodus if they didn't get the Voom channels back but from what I've seen it's only a very small part of the base that's upset enough to leave. Yes, some folks may be having issue but not in the propotions you make it sound like, else the word would have spread by now and the press/Wall Street would be all over it and D* wouldn't keep adding subs while E* doesn't.

Heh, someone over a DBS talk started a thread with the same complaint...its already closed. The reason? Management over there feels that it is what it is, and you need to stop bitching about it because it ain't gonna change. Way to tow that company line. :(

Stick your fingers in your ears and scream like nothing's wrong and everyone's happy.

Thanks Scott for running the best damn site on the internet. :up

Yes, some folks may be having issue but not in the propotions you make it sound like,.
Most people don't know anybetter,They don't have the means to compare to something else. They just think its supposed to function this way and don't question it again. Well some of us do know better ,And Have had a year to compair it with another side by side. I guess with D* being number one satellite company ,I would expect more then whats there. The way the D* HD DVR is designed is fantastic! Its easy to use , But it trouble proned IMO. Has been since Day one. Its gotten much better ,yes I'll agree. When I first got it it was a POS! One software release fixed it to acceptable. that about it. Buts also 2 years old now, they keep adding more stuff for the receiver to do ,but yet haven't mastered the other stuff yet. Native off is better , but not by much. Then you have to go through all your formats just to get to an HD setting if Native is off. Turn Native on with HDMI and use Channel up button only and go from channel 200-300 and post back How long it takes. Wait untill I post back with my results. I'll do E* and D* in Minutes and seconds.

Most people don't know anybetter,They don't have the means to compare to something else.

So you think people are so dumb that that think the box isn't supposed to work for 5 minutes after you power it on? That's it's supposed to reboot in the middle of you watching a program. That it's not supposed to come back on afer a power failure? Sorry, don't agree with you on this.

D*It took 1 minute and 20 seconds to go from channel 200-300. Plus it take 3 seconds for tv show to appear on the channel when I stop on any channel.
Now My R16 can do the entire Choice extra pack without music channels in 35 seconds

E*It took 40 seconds to go through my entire Top 250 channel line up, Except Music channels. And 1 second for program to appear on screen. This is on my Vip 612 that E* customers claim is a POS.
My 622 can do this in 33 seconds

So you think people are so dumb that that think the box isn't supposed to work for 5 minutes after you power it on? That's it's supposed to reboot in the middle of you watching a program. That it's not supposed to come back on afer a power failure? Sorry, don't agree with you on this.
I didn't say that , Not everyone has the same problems, some people might have completely different ones then I have. But with nothing to compair the flaws with, how would they ever know? You can be stuck on denile all you want D* equipment need improvement, Just because Satellite guys and DBS talk don't think so ,doesn't mean there's not a problem. We all know DBS talk Loves D*,so I wouldn't expect them to admit D* has a flaw! Lets not turn Satellites guys into that too. When I have a problem with E* equipment ,the guys here look for the problem and help, But when you have D* equipment with some flaws and complaints, its the old . "D* doesn't have anything wrong bit" Its getting old!

IF D* receiver don't have any problem areas then why are all these being addressed in this week . Have you seen this list of problem areas? And someone is going to tell me its just my equipment! I see every single problem on my receiver on this list! Will this CE fix it ,maybe ,but My guess is thats what D* is trying to find out.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1395328-post1.html

I didn't say that , Not everyone has the same problems, some people might have completely different ones then I have. But with nothing to compair the flaws with, how would they ever know? You can be stuck on denile all you want D* equipment need improvement, Just because Satellite guys and DBS talk don't think so ,doesn't mean there's not a problem. We all know DBS talk Loves D*,so I wouldn't expect them to admit D* has a flaw! Lets not turn Satellites guys into that too. When I have a problem with E* equipment ,the guys here look for the problem and help, But when you have D* equipment with some flaws and complaints, its the old . "D* doesn't have anything wrong bit" Its getting old!

Hemi, never said that D* equipment didn't need improvement, what I have said is that your equipment is NOT the norm, if it was there would be major stories on the internet saying so, but there aren't. Scott has posted that he thought his HR20 was a POS, it ran slow, and finally got a replacement and says it's much better. OK, you did one box swap and it still sucks, keep on them.

Yes, some flaws might be subtle and if you don't have something to compare them to you might not know. But come on, you telling me that someone couldn't figure out that something wasn't right when they turned their STB on and it wouldn't do anything for 5 minutes, like you say yours does? Out of the list of things you listed about the only one that someone might not think is OK is the slow channel changing that you have.

And didn't I provide you with an e-mail address at D* to help you try to get your problem resolved? And I'm not stuck in denial, that's why I do every single CE download for every box that I have and provide feedback to D* when things are broke. Are you doing every CE and logging issues? I also vote on the new features/changes thread at DBS for things we would like to see done with the box, have you, or are just going to wait for something to magically happen?

As for DBSTalk, face it, until VERY recently they were the place to get D* info and to take part of the CE process, heck Satguys didn't even have a chat on CE nights to help with download problems. Yes, they run a tigher ship at DBS then Scott does but until recently that's the place you needed to be for D* help. Hopefully that will change now with the recent changes.

IF D* receiver don't have any problem areas then why are all these being addressed in this week . Have you seen this list of problem areas? And someone is going to tell me its just my equipment! I see every single problem on my receiver on this list! Will this CE fix it ,maybe ,but My guess is thats what D* is trying to find out.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1395328-post1.html

Yea, and that's the list of things in the CE releases, not what's in a national release. Yes, things do somethings get broken in the CE releases and then get fixed in some future release.

Want to see the list of issues in the new national release rolling out on the HR20-700:

From http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=130759

Improved
Stability
Improved Audio
Recording Robustness

But come on, you telling me that someone couldn't figure out that something wasn't right when they turned their STB on and it wouldn't do anything for 5 minutes, like you say yours does? Out of the list of things you listed about the only one that someone might not think is OK is the slow channel changing that you have. .
Yep If I turn off my HR20 for the night,and then turn it back on first thing in the morning it turns on fine, but remote does not respond to the receiver for 2-5 minutes. Is it some thing to do with Ethernet connection,maybe! Sometimes it fine ,most times its not. It works fine after that ecept for the channel changing, and sometime it subles between resolutions and then give audio problems,Untill I change to an SD channel.and then back to an HD channel. Power goes out and Ethernet plugged in ,upon reboot screen goes blank and will not start the receiver properly. All the lights in front keep going around in circles but black screen. Everytime. I unplug ethernet and Restart receiver,Then its fine! My guess most people don't have theirs hooked to the internet. Or never had an outage yet while it was hooked internet.

One thing we've been asked as part of the CE program in general is to keep the discussion limited to the CE area. I'm going to move this to the CE forum.

I know it is very unusual to move something from the warzone like that, but this thread is more CE merits releated, not a Directv vs. Dish thread.

While I may not agree with the opinions expressed in some of this thread - I will let them stay in tact. You are welcome to your opinion. I would ask everyone to consider that this feature is in a very-early development phase at this point. I think it would be fair to wait a few weeks before we make judgements as to it's value.

Please keep any discussion of CE programs, or it's merits, in the CE forum. Thanks.

Yep If I turn off my HR20 for the night,and then turn it back on first thing in the morning it turns on fine, but remote does not respond to the receiver for 2-5 minutes. Is it some thing to do with Ethernet connection,maybe! Sometimes it fine ,most times its not. It works fine after that ecept for the channel changing, and sometime it subles between resolutions and then give audio problems,Untill I change to an SD channel.and then back to an HD channel. Power goes out and Ethernet plugged in ,upon reboot screen goes blank and will not start the receiver properly. All the lights in front keep going around in circles but black screen. Everytime. I unplug ethernet and Restart receiver,Then its fine! My guess most people don't have theirs hooked to the internet. Or never had an outage yet while it was hooked internet.

Hemi, I've seen other post with issues when connected to their home network. When it first happened IIRC it was a problem with some other devices on their network (web cams were one problem) and UPnP support. You might want to try removing everything from your network except your router and internet modem and see if it hangs, if not start adding things back on until it starts to fail again.

Yea, and that's the list of things in the CE releases, not what's in a national release. Yes, things do somethings get broken in the CE releases and then get fixed in some future release.

Want to see the list of issues in the new national release rolling out on the HR20-700:

From HR20-700: 0x0235 - DBSTalk.Com

Improved
Stability
Improved Audio
Recording Robustness
So that mean there's nothing wrong! But yet the CE release states many problem areas. Isn't that what the CE is for ,to help D* figure out what fixes the problem areas and what doesn't? I didn't know the CE program was to create problems. Well I guess I'll call D* then and tell them about my equipment problem and they should send me another that does the exact same thing.

So that mean there's nothing wrong! But yet the CE release states many problem areas. Isn't that what the CE is for ,to help D* figure out what fixes the problem areas and what doesn't? I didn't know the CE program was to create problems. Well I guess I'll call D* then and tell them about my equipment problem and they should send me another that does the exact same thing.

Again, never said that nothing was wrong. I worked in IT and when making changes to something you will sometimes break something else, so then you need to go fix that and it ends up breaking something else, and so on. If the programmers always got it right on the first try then there would be only 1 release of a software product. But what you listed was the fixes that are in a CE release cycle, not what the general population may or may not have in their code. Something in the 03 release may fix a bug caused by the 01 release that doesn't exist in the GA code.

And why not call, and keep calling, until they fix it? You're paying for something and it should work correctly, don't sit back and stew about it. Maybe the next hardware replacement will fix it, if not then you still need to keep on D* since it's not right.

While I may not agree with the opinions expressed in some of this thread - I will let them stay in tact. You are welcome to your opinion. I would ask everyone to consider that this feature is in a very-early development phase at this point. I think it would be fair to wait a few weeks before we make judgements as to it's value..
I'm not bad mouthing the CE program ,I'm bad mouthing why does it take so long for D* to get this receiver to function properly. And then I'm getting mad at the fact that since someone else has no issue, that means were crazy because we do. I'll gladly join the CE program if you want. When there is a flaw in the software , You can bet your A^% I'm going to point it out and not look the other way.:D But it sounds like thats not what people want, so I'm at a loss! I guess I'm done now! Later.

I'll gladly join the CE program if you want. When there is a flaw in the software , You can bet your A^% I'm going to point it out and not look the other way.:D But it sounds like thats not what people want, so I'm at a loss! I guess I'm done now! Later.

I'm sure DirecTV would more than appreciate your feedback - as long as it is constructive and related to the CE release.

I've requested that this thread be closed because it has developed into something I did not intend it to. But, as always, management has the final say, and I am okay with that. :up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts