D* Satellite Launch Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The press release says fall because it will be fall. Most of this summer will be used to upgrade customers dishes and hardware so all customers in the top 12 markets will be ready to receive HD locals for this football season even if they don't have NFL Sunday Ticket. Some customers will have the upgrade and the channels before fall but their press release is telling that the official launch of services on these satellites will occur this fall.

But either way all customers in the top 12 markets will have HD locals before football season. Also national HD channels will be added after the top 12 markets HD locals are added but before Christmas. Now we all will have to wait and find out how customers outside of the top 12 markets will be upgraded to receive these new national HD offerings.

Expect to have much more information about new local market HD rollouts, national HD rollout plans and channel offerings along with more updated information about the upcoming HD multiroom DVR with maybe a release date and pricing for purchase and rental options.

Pricing

Has there been any info released/posted about pricing? Where will these HD LIL channels be positioned? In the HD pak? In with your locals and your TC package? Separate package offering? :confused:

hdtvtechno said:
Locals Hd will be included with your locals Sd package. for no cost

Thankx. I have to admit, that really surprises me!! D* must feel this will increase the local sub count significantly to help offset costs.

Thankx for the link. That answered some questions. I'm wondering now about the equipment upgrades. Will you need to be a sub of the HD pak or your locals to get the upgraded HD STB and Dish? I have a HD STB but don't sub to either. Will the fact that I have one be enuff for the exchange? My OTA is fine and the HD Pak isn't worth the $ with the line-up now. I'm hanging on to it hoping for some new channels to be added but right now I'm not paying extra for the 2 or 3 that interest me.

Rhodemaster said:
Thankx for the link. That answered some questions. I'm wondering now about the equipment upgrades. Will you need to be a sub of the HD pak or your locals to get the upgraded HD STB and Dish? I have a HD STB but don't sub to either. Will the fact that I have one be enuff for the exchange? My OTA is fine and the HD Pak isn't worth the $ with the line-up now. I'm hanging on to it hoping for some new channels to be added but right now I'm not paying extra for the 2 or 3 that interest me.

wait and see. answer :)

Gang, I'm so excited about this....can't wait to hear any news from folks in the 1st group...........watched the launch (taped) and it was like like watching the Shuttle taking off....I was just saying go baby, go baby....
D* should soon start updating...don't the dealers out there have any hint on the new DISH's, 5LNB assemblys, STB's...I'm sure they are already maufactured & stocked....no way they would now start producing the equipment now........beta testers.....
Football season isn't that far off.........

Barney

The first group of markets to receive local HD channels via Spaceway F1 includes New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa. These markets represent nearly 36 million homes or 32.8 percent of all U.S. TV households.

I don't know what they are talking about, I live in the New York market area and I already get 2,4,5,&7 in HD Via D* unless they are talking about also adding super station's

Ya... but they're not MPEG4, they're the national DNS feeds that you and the other markets will no longer be eligible for when the HD via Spaceway locals become available.

Russia prepares to launch U.S. satellite

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050427-102156-8078r.htm

Moscow, Russia, Apr. 27 (UPI) -- Russia is preparing to launch a U.S. communications satellite into orbit on May 21, the Russian space agency Roskosmos has announced.

A Briz-M booster is being prepared at the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan for the launch of the DirecTV 8, a U.S. telecommunications satellite, the Russian news agency Interfax reported Wednesday.

"The booster unit was brought to Baikonur on April 25 and has been moved to site 921-50, where assembly and test operations will be conducted," Roskosmos announced.

The Russian space agency's technical control department said checks would be made on the booster's electrical and docking systems, Interfax reported.

A Proton-M carrier rocket intended to carry the U.S. satellite is also being prepared for the launch. Khrunichev space corporation experts are assembling the first and second stages of the carrier rocket, while U.S. experts are conducting independent control checks on the satellite.

I've seen a lot about "upgrading current customers" to MPEG-4, but I haven't seen anything about getting new customers onto that standard (I probably just missed it...).

Has anyone heard anything about when/if new customers will be able to get the same equipment? I'm current a E* customer, and if D* will offer all of my locals in HD for a simliar price that I currently pay--ie, not the $30 more it would cost me for comparable cable programming--I'm more than willing to switch :)

TheWarden said:
I've seen a lot about "upgrading current customers" to MPEG-4, but I haven't seen anything about getting new customers onto that standard (I probably just missed it...).

Has anyone heard anything about when/if new customers will be able to get the same equipment? I'm current a E* customer, and if D* will offer all of my locals in HD for a simliar price that I currently pay--ie, not the $30 more it would cost me for comparable cable programming--I'm more than willing to switch :)

Once current HD customers start getting upgrades all new customers in all the US will be getting the new dish and hardware.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts