D* Tivo On It's Last Leg ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmil

Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Have a Hughes HDVR2 that started having heavy pixelation and brief signal losses on tuner 2 on some channels (mostly the 200's and locals). Since the dish was so old I replaced it as I thought the lnb was probably going bad. That didn't help and switching around cables convinced me it's the receiver.

Does this make sense since tuner 2 doesn't have any problems on some channels??

I'd hate to loose the TIVO DVR but at least my account page on Directv shows I can get a replacement SD Dvr for free...

It has been reported that the HDVR2 has tuner 2 problems when you use the s-video output. Try the composite to see what happens.

Have the exact same issue. Swapped the cables problem still exists with tuner 2. Looking at the transponder singnal strength tuner 2 is lower on most missing on others. That doesn't sound like a problem with the out putside. I'll try it but Im open to suggestions.

If you want to stay with TiVo start shopping on eBay. I would suggest HR10-250 as a replacement. It won't be free but it will do a good job on SD and not too expensive.

Hah. I still have three directivo's in the closet. I see them selling for $12-30 on ebay. So you ought to be able to replace it with something similar if it dies and you dont want a directv model SD dvr.

They are Junk.
Hardrive and Power Supply replacement is way Too common on these Tivos.
Software wise they are great, but reliability is poor on the Hardware.
Weaknees.com is your best option for replacement parts.

Same problems I had with an old tivo that used the same PS as this hughes unit. The caps on the PS get weak and usually start to bulge, or even leak. One of the power regulators goes to tuner one, the other goes to tuner two and the s-video processing card. Since the tuner two/s-video demand is higher than the tuner one demand, that cap usually fails first. The composite port doesnt share with tuner 2, so once you unplug the s-video, tuner 2 gets all the juice and it starts working again. Give it another year or two and it'll get bad enough that even using the composite wont help.

Good news is the power supplies are something like $12-15. I bought several years ago from a wholesale supplier for $3 each. Its a minor aggravation to change it out if you're comfortable doing little things like disk drive and power supply swaps in a PC. Some torx screws and a bunch of bendy tabs. Just make sure the old supply is fully discharged before you touch it, or you'll get a hell of a zap.

Lots of stuff seems like BS until you actually know something about it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)