D*TV HD DVR Receiver: 3 Simple Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chasfh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I am thinking of buying one from BB to replace the old Samsung HD receiver I have. My three questions are:

1. Besides what I would have to pay for the equipment at BB, does anyone know whether I will have to pay any fees to D*TV in order to activate the new box?

2. Will it be possible for me to record from a VCR/DVD combo player onto the DVR disk in the D*TV receiver, perhaps from an RCA out in the VCR/DVD unit to the RCA in on the D*TV receiver?

3. Also, will it be possible for me to record from the D*TV DVR onto a DVD-R (it would be the same unit as the VHS-DVD player)?

Thanks for your help!

Chuck

1) There is no "activation" fee. Unless you already have a DVR on the account, then you would have to pay the $5.99 monthly DVR fee

2) No. None of the DirecTV DVRs (including the HR20) have an analog encoder.

3) Yes.. It will be 480i output, and that output is also enabled at the same time as you are outputing a different resolution to your TV

2) No. None of the DirecTV DVRs (including the HR20) have an analog encoder.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just want to follow up on #2.

I think you're also telling me that there's no hack available to enable D*TV DVR receivers to record analogically. How about Tivo? Do you happen to know whether they can record analogically, or whether there's some kind of hack to allow you to do so?

Thanks very much!

Chuck

I think you're also telling me that there's no hack available to enable D*TV DVR receivers to record analogically. How about Tivo? Do you happen to know whether they can record analogically, or whether there's some kind of hack to allow you to do so?

Thanks very much!

Chuck

Stand Alone Tivo's yes.
DirecTivo's, including the HR10 no. It's digital OTA only.

Thanks very much!

Chuck

To add to bonscott's reply...

There is no hack either, as the physical hardware is not there to do the encoding.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts