D* uses every trick in the book...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
D* (and E*) typically consider the break-even point to be somewhere around the 20th month for new customers. That's generally for installation, dish and 2.6 (IIRC) receivers. The commitment is part of the give and take - and D* has determined that if you will not remain a customer for 12 additional months, there's no reason to make an additional investment that they will not recoup.

It is $150 and it is pro-rated, if you leave after only 8 months, you'll pay $50. If you want D* to hire an installer and pay for the work, it seems pretty reasonable. You always have the option of paying a contractor to do any work you don't want to do yourself.

rkr0923 said:
I've been with D* for 5 years, bought all my equipment and installed myself. I just bought the HDDVR a few months back (not from D*) and they want a 2 year commitment, this I don't understand.

Well first I agree with DirecTV wanting a commitment from new customers and people using the mover's connection and when you get freebies from DirecTV. But this situation from rkr0923 sounds wrong. If you buy a new receiver on your own and just want to activate it, there should be no commitment. If that’s really DirecTV’s policy, they need to rethink it. It’s not costing DirecTV anything in that situation and will probably drive some existing customers away.

-JustBob

If you buy the equipment used, there should be no commitment (doesn't mean they don't try) - if they add a commitment, I'd call and get them to remove it.

If you buy the equipment from a retailer, it is likely still subsidized by D* and they will add a commitment to recover that cost. But there are definitely some inequities in the 1 year (and now 2 year) commitments - looking at what you are actually getting for that commitment. I always make sure I get the most bang for the buck before pulling the trigger. I paid $99 each for 2 SD DVRs with a one year commitment about 4 or 5 months ago - probably not a great deal (in hindsight). Luckily, that didn't preclude me from participating in the $99 HD-Tivo deal.

When they stop offering any deals while you're under an existing commitment (or make them consecutive), that's when it will become a much bigger deal IMO.

still say it's hogwash...........can understand if you GET something in return. like my cell phone, had to commit for 1 year but they GAVE me 2 phones "free". with D* I got NOTHING!
and I paid full price not the $99 deal

If you ran all the wiring already....then climb up and take down the dish that YOU paid for and install it your self............no 1 yr or $99

rkr0923 said:
still say it's hogwash...........can understand if you GET something in return. like my cell phone, had to commit for 1 year but they GAVE me 2 phones "free". with D* I got NOTHING!
and I paid full price not the $99 deal

D* will claim that unless you paid $999 for the HD-Tivo, it was subsidized. I had a 1 year commitment for my first HD-Tivo @ $999, but they removed it from my account when I called and complained.

WOW! What a reaction. This is excatly my point. As long as you all continue to agree with D* and their 1 YR agreement policy (and soon 2 yr) then they will continue to pin it on you. Every time you upgrade your receiver, service, move, etc, you are going to have to commit to us longer. It doesn't matter that you have committed to us already for 5, 10, 12 yrs. We want to control you.

All of you wise crackers telling me to climb up and get my own dish are still missing the point I am trying to make.

Forget it, can't teach an old dog new tricks.
:no

kevstok said:
All of you wise crackers telling me to climb up and get my own dish are still missing the point I am trying to make.

Just what is the point you are trying to make? It sounds like you're wanting DirecTV to provide you with a product (new dish) or service (installing new dish at your new house) for free. Well they're going to want something in return. The responses have been trying to give you alternatives, not provide wise cracks. Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't understand what you're looking for here. It sounds like you have three options: 1) Have DirecTV provide a new dish and have a 1 year commitment, 2) Move your existing dish yourself for no fee or commitment, 3) Hire someone else to move your dish for a fee and no commitment.

If you don't agree or have another point to make, we'd all be glad to listen. A little less bitter tone might be nice too.

-JustBob

I bought a new and when I tried to activate the thing, they wanted an commitment, although I'm still have 3 months left of my original one. After haggling with them, they wouldn't budge so I returned the box.

CPanther95 said:
If you buy the equipment used, there should be no commitment (doesn't mean they don't try) - if they add a commitment, I'd call and get them to remove it.

If you buy the equipment from a retailer, it is likely still subsidized by D* and they will add a commitment to recover that cost. But there are definitely some inequities in the 1 year (and now 2 year) commitments - looking at what you are actually getting for that commitment. I always make sure I get the most bang for the buck before pulling the trigger. I paid $99 each for 2 SD DVRs with a one year commitment about 4 or 5 months ago - probably not a great deal (in hindsight). Luckily, that didn't preclude me from participating in the $99 HD-Tivo deal.

When they stop offering any deals while you're under an existing commitment (or make them consecutive), that's when it will become a much bigger deal IMO.

This is excatly my point. As long as you all continue to agree with D* and their 1 YR agreement policy (and soon 2 yr) then they will continue to pin it on you. Every time you upgrade your receiver, service, move, etc, you are going to have to commit to us longer. It doesn't matter that you have committed to us already for 5, 10, 12 yrs. We want to control you.
I don’t even have DirecTV…I have had Dish Network for 5 years..the last 4 with no commitment and I’ve moved 3 times. The first time I did the Dish mover program, which at the time was free (no commit no nothing). The last two moves I took the Dish with me. And yes, I have purchased EVERY receiver I’ve owned (which is lets see 4 301’s, a 508, 3000, 4000 and 5000..most have been sold or junked)

What is the point? You feel just because you move, Direct should give you a Dish, wiring, switch (if needed) and install it for free so in a couple weeks you could disconnect? Sorry…no sympathy in my book. Why is it everyone wants something for free?

To me this is the same exact thinking as: "Hey Directv, why don't you pay me to keep your service?"

kevstok said:
WOW! What a reaction. This is excatly my point. As long as you all continue to agree with D* and their 1 YR agreement policy (and soon 2 yr) then they will continue to pin it on you. Every time you upgrade your receiver, service, move, etc, you are going to have to commit to us longer. It doesn't matter that you have committed to us already for 5, 10, 12 yrs. We want to control you.

Forget it, can't teach an old dog new tricks.
:no
Cancel your D* account. Just call them up today and tell them you don't want their service ("we don't need no stinking Directv"). Tell them that you are on to their game and you know they are just trying get you on the hook for another year of their crappy service. Let them know you are not about to stand still and be treated in such a unprofessional manner. When you have had enough of the CSR's laughter, hang up and call your local cable stealer and have them rush right out and hook you up.
I say that you should do this because in 6-12 months I have no doubt that a D* installer will be called out to put in a nice new system for you (probably ordered under the wifey's name so you can take advantage of a "new" customer deal).
I love the customers who every couple of years feel that D* is somehow or another doing them wrong. I love it even more when they realize that D* wasn't so bad afterall and they come back. It's customers like that and generally fickle people (tons of those around) that keep us installers employed and in demand.

D* as a business has the right to charge anything they want for their services, or to require any commitment they want.. You as a consumer have the right to not buy it. If enough people agree with you D* will no longer be a business..

Neutron said:
To me this is the same exact thinking as: "Hey Directv, why don't you pay me to keep your service?"

That is the wrong analogy... IMHO who is supposed to be taking the risk... the company or the customer? IMHO it is the company that should be taking all of the risk, not the customer. If they want to keep me then they have to offer a service that I want... not force me into a commitment... especially when I am forced to spend money upfront to get D*. Now if I was leasing the equipment like an apartment that would be different.

Jerry

Yup Kev, I'm just rolling in the dough with all of my D* stock. Maybe I better sell though cause it looks like your leaving and I don't know if D* can take that kind of hit.
I know I shouldn't have buzzed in with this but I hated this topic from the first time it was posted. I just can't believe that you have looked at this from every angle and still feel that you have been hosed somehow.

FlyingJ said:
Yup Kev, I'm just rolling in the dough with all of my D* stock. Maybe I better sell though cause it looks like your leaving and I don't know if D* can take that kind of hit.
I know I shouldn't have buzzed in with this but I hated this topic from the first time it was posted. I just can't believe that you have looked at this from every angle and still feel that you have been hosed somehow.

You are rolling in the dough in DTV stock?

big.chart

You must be shorting it...

Jerry

D* makes it really easy to get out of the committment: Prorated $150, or return the equipment.

The latter being JUST LIKE CABLE.

Man, ARgghhh, Rats,

I was bamboozled, hoodwinked, tricked. They FORCED me into a prolonged commitment. I had no choice. They are so crafty. They pulled every trick in the book and I was helpless to their voodoo. How do they do it? They are wizards. I need to start coming here before I make these decisions so I can be aware of their spells.

I'm mixing up an aligator tail, the eye of newt, and grape kool aid. I'm stirring it and chanting something that begins with Hocus Pocus and I think my commitment will be gone, oh the book says wait 12 months to see results. I'll let you know if it worked.

;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts