D* vs. V*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

melloyello75

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 31, 2004
Hey guys I am switching from HD/DVR cable to an HD Sat provider and was originally planning on going w/ D* STB $300 but after I heard about the switch to MPEG4 and the new birds going up this summer and the need for new equipment. I dont want to shelll out money for a receiver and then not know if I have to purchase another receiver for the new birds. Plus it kinda sux that D* is broadcasting HD Lite. Should I just go ahead and take advantage of the $1 special w/ V* (6 mo. commtment) until everything settles out w/ D* and then make the switch? I need HD and saving $300 seems good to me. Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

bshef

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 25, 2005
I've been with D* for 2 years and love the service! When I purchased my HDTV......I called to see what it was going to cost for their HD service and politely hung up after they told me $300+.
I looked around at all the options (Voom, Cable, Dish) and after much consideration......I choose to call D* one more time. Frankly, I like their product.....NFL Sunday Ticket, Locals without OTA (coming this summer in my area), and great experience with installs and pay per view.
The Mpeg 2 to 4 will not happen instantly........It will be gradual and my understanding is.....D* will be footing the bill to upgrade their subs that already own HD Tivos.

I explained to the CSR that I had just spent a "ton" of $$ on my HDTV and I would love to actually be able to"watch" HD..... but not at the prices I'd been quoted by D* to upgrade when I've got 3 other cheaper options. She mentioned that my "file" showed I had been offered $100 off the $399 upgrade during another call.........I politely explained to her there was nooooo way my wife was going to allow me to spend a bunch more $$ .......I also told her how much we really enjoyed D* and didn't want to have to go elsewhere.

After it was all said and done.......I got....
-Free new Dish and Install
-6 mo Free HD
-6 mo Free Showtime
-6 mo HBO for $2/month
-6 mo of $5 off my total Choice plus package
-$250 off a new HD Tivo

bshef

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 25, 2005
omg........
sigh....
Do your parents know your on-line?

just kidding......

-take a look up and read what section you happen to be in!

melloyello75

Aug 31, 2004
Great advice...I wonder if they are offering any other incentives that aren't listed so I can choose D* over V*. Its just that I am moving into a brand new house and saving $300 on the HD STB would be huge for me. I have always liked D* over the others but to get into HD equipment w D* is alot more than the buck it will cost me to get HD STB's from V*.

Does anyone here work for D* and if you do what other promos are available to new subs besides the ones listed ex. $300 HD and 2 mo's HD Pack.

Uplink

Satellite Guy
Supporting Founder
Nov 3, 2004
D* is DirecTV. DirecTV would be way better than Voom for programming and signal.

DirecTV will take care of you. Any upgrades will be coming out of THEIR pockets, not yours.

bshef

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 25, 2005
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=216440
Mello.....much about how to go about this process is alreay written down.

- Call Customer Retention Directly at 1-800-600-8977
It would be better if your done with your 1 yr commitment but not necessary....
The main thing you need to remember is.....
- BE POLITE, be sensible and if you don't get what you want.....call back until you do!
They will make notes in your file if your rude and then you'll never get anywhere!

good luck!

Randy....if your HD quality is poor.....it could be many different issues....my 1st thought would be cables.

melloyello75

Aug 31, 2004
bshef thanks for all the input, but actually I would be a new sub. I currently have Dig cable and I am interested in HD Sat and not HD Tivo.

Do you know if they offer incentives above the promos listed for new subs?

rkr0923

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 26, 2004
South
If Voom was the only Sat provider................I'd watch OTA only.
their STB is junk, same programming over and over and over...................my advice, forget you ever heard the word Doom, I mean Voom

jeslevine

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 12, 2005
I went Voom when their free hardware and installation deal came, and couldn't be happier. I had dish, and downgraded that service. The quality and content of Voom's HD is better than anyone elses, and on March 1st they are going to be adding more HD content.

The HD promise from Dish and DTV are just that promises. I will look at it when it comes, but right now if you want HD content and quality go with Voom, the next best one would be Comcast believe it or not.

What do you have to lose? Free hardware and installation, and a six month contract. If you don't like it, you can cancel in six months.

EEJay

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 8, 2005
Even as a loyal D* customer, I have to agree with jes. D* is more likely to give away equipment and programming to keep a customer rather than get a new one. If your goal is to get things for free (or $1), go with V* for now. It will be at least six months before the MPEG4 switch-out starts.

D*'s HD PQ has sucked lately, but if you don't like V*, you only lost $1 anyway. As far as repetitive programming, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and Discovery HD can be repetitive also, just maybe not as repetitive as V*'s own channels from what I hear.

jeslevine

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 12, 2005
EEJay said:
Even as a loyal D* customer, I have to agree with jes. D* is more likely to give away equipment and programming to keep a customer rather than get a new one. If your goal is to get things for free (or $1), go with V* for now. It will be at least six months before the MPEG4 switch-out starts.

D*'s HD PQ has sucked lately, but if you don't like V*, you only lost $1 anyway. As far as repetitive programming, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and Discovery HD can be repetitive also, just maybe not as repetitive as V*'s own channels from what I hear.

What I find interesting is people seem to have a loyalty to their current satellite or cable provider, and are reluctant to try something new.

I keep my mind open, and who every has the best deal and quality in my view will get my business

I have dish, but their promise for HD is smoke and mirrors, and their HD hardware generally sucks, so when the voom deal came out it wasn't much for me to take advantage of it. I drastically downgraded my dish service, and subscribed to Voom to avoid duplication. The reason I kept barebones dish service was just in case Voom was not going to make it. It now looks as though they will be around for a while.

It will be interesting to see how the DTV HD promise pans out. This is the year they promised it. Dish is more interested in international channels than HD content, so I would not be surprised if I will continue with Dish beyond this year.

Cable actually might be the surprise of the year

tdti1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal, QC
melloyello75 said:
Hey guys I am switching from HD/DVR cable to an HD Sat provider and was originally planning on going w/ D* STB $300 but after I heard about the switch to MPEG4 and the new birds going up this summer and the need for new equipment. I dont want to shelll out money for a receiver and then not know if I have to purchase another receiver for the new birds. Plus it kinda sux that D* is broadcasting HD Lite. Should I just go ahead and take advantage of the $1 special w/ V* (6 mo. commtment) until everything settles out w/ D* and then make the switch? I need HD and saving $300 seems good to me. Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Voom would be a good chioce for HD.

uboatcmdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 4, 2005
Alabama
Eventhough I am a D* installer, I didn't want to py the $$$ for their HD, so I took V* up on their $1 offer. The PQ is great, better than D*'s HDlite in my opinion, but getting the install done can be a real pain. V*'s install operation leaves a lot to be desired. They have a history of no shows and re-schedules and problems installing the proper OTA antenna. My suggestion if you go with V*, is to do as much of the install yourself (i.e., pre-wiring the house & installing your own OTA antenna), before the scheduled install date and be prepared to have to take more than one day off from work to get the install to actually done.
But once installed I sure you'd be happy with V*, I have been.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I must preface all statements I'll make by saying I am a D* loyalist and have been called a troll by Voomers for not supporting their product and/or openly bashing it.

jeslevine said:
What I find interesting is people seem to have a loyalty to their current satellite or cable provider, and are reluctant to try something new.

I keep my mind open, and who every has the best deal and quality in my view will get my business.
Me too, this is the only way to know what you want. In the last 4 years I have used D*, E*, V* and cable. I took D* because their hardware is the best and no one else holds a candle to this level of quality. Programming is same on 3, however, with Voom you have to give up many popular “cable” networks that are currently carried by D* & E*. I have a 55” 16:9 TV so signal quality is very important to me, I was not able to stand the “mosquito noise” that is inherent in the Voom signal across many stations.

jeslevine said:
It will be interesting to see how the DTV HD promise pans out. This is the year they promised it. Dish is more interested in international channels than HD content, so I would not be surprised if I will continue with Dish beyond this year.

Cable actually might be the surprise of the year
The D* commitment to HD is real, this will all be very plain to see in July. However, unless they stop downrezzing all the HD channels and move back to 1920x1280 ... they will not be delivering “HDTV.” Currently my OTA picture quality far surpasses anything from D*& E* ... HD cable is not available in my area, however, as jes stated ... it could be the year for cable. I have seen the Comcast offering and it is clean; just no assurance for growth.

lee espinoza

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 18, 2004
I am a die hard D* loyalist but if I were you and wanted HD and a lot of it I would go with Voom for now.

I can't believe I just said that!!!

uboatcmdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 4, 2005
Alabama
Well, I'll never give up my D*, but I like V* also. If D* greatly lowers the price of the HD receivers, while greatly increasing HD content and PQ (gets rid of the HDlite and gives the customers real HD) then I would go back to using them exclusively. I love my SD Tivo and couldn't live without it, but the one HD set I have needs to be fed real HD, and for now that is coming from V*.

EricTheRed

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 29, 2004
NW Oregon
I have been with D* for a number of years, ever since the UTV came out. I was a BUD 4DTV prior to that. I really wanted to try V* but because I am on the West coast and their bird is at 61.5 degrees, It is unavailable to me. I have no OTA signals, nor will I ever be able to receive any due to my geo location. However the V* $1 is almost too good not to try and I would if I could. Just my thoughts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)