D11 outage 2/27/2024 (Resolved on 2/28)

I sure hope it is fixable, there is no way to replace those spot beam transponders with any satellite in orbit, except possibly D10, but they quit using it for spot beams years ago after some sort of "anomaly" occurred. D12 picked up D11's spot beam duties then, leaving no other satellite with KaLo spot beams. D11 was transmitting on 102 spot beam transponders, with 6 to 8 local channels on each transponder.

Maybe they'll start to use all those reverse band transponders if the sat is gone for good. I just hope they don't do like when HD first came out on D* and go to HD lite to fit all the missing channels in the bandwidth remaining.

Maybe they'll start to use all those reverse band transponders if the sat is gone for good. I just hope they don't do like when HD first came out on D* and go to HD lite to fit all the missing channels in the bandwidth remaining.
I knew Dish did that, never knew DirecTV did, actually had them during that time.

Update, it's a "satellite positioning issue":

View: https://twitter.com/DIRECTVhelp/status/1762563127797850117
Update: Some satellite customers are temporarily unable to watch HD channels because of a satellite positioning issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate our customers’ patience while we work to bring the satellite back online. In the meantime, satellite customers can watch their programming through the DIRECTV app on mobile devices and connected TVs, or by activating SignalSaver via an internet connection on a capable set-top box.

Pardon my ignorance, what is a "reverse band transponder?"
DirecTV has satellites at 99 and 103 with National coverage transponders on board that transmit on frequencies used for uplinks to the normal Ku band transponders. The reverse band transponders use Ka band uplinks. They used the ones at 99W for a while while transitioning off the Spaceways satellite at 103. If D11 were to die, there is bandwidth for the National channels. Because all normal Ku band uplinks on both Dish and DirecTV use large directional Antennas for the Ku uplinks there is inconsequential interference when reusing those frequencies for downlinks. There is nothing in orbit that could cover the lost spotbeams.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
DirecTV has satellites at 99 and 103 with National coverage transponders on board that transmit on frequencies used for uplinks to the normal Ku band transponders. The reverse band transponders use Ka band uplinks. They used the ones at 99W for a while while transitioning off the Spaceways satellite at 103. If D11 were to die, there is bandwidth for the National channels. Because all normal Ku band uplinks on both Dish and DirecTV use large directional Antennas for the Ku uplinks there is inconsequential interference when reusing those frequencies for downlinks. There is nothing in orbit that could cover the lost spotbeams.

So they could easily uplink all the missing CONUS feeds, but not the spot beams?

"Some" customers? It's national stations, so it's not some customers, it's all customers.

Hopefully they can reposition it as they don't plan for a lot of movements post positioning
Only "Some" customers noticed. The Signal Saver switch to streaming wouldn't even be notice by lots of customers. And if the National channels you watch aren't on 99cb, then you wouldn't notice. Local channel loss is much more noticable. My local ION station is gone, but I wouldn't notice because I never watch it.

Reactions: prushing
For those who don't check the transponder maps, these are the national channels affected:
77 METV (HD only)
82 Bounce (HD only)
142 CINEHD (Sports Alt)
143 CINEHD (Sports Alt)
144 CINEHD (Sports Alt)
146 CINEHD (Sports Alt)
212 NFLHD
235 TASTE (App)
238 REELZHD
246 truTVHD
251 OXGNHD
258 FXMHD
259 FXXHD
260 WeHD
271 VICEHD
273 POPHD
283 NGWHD
287 AHCHD
294 DFCHD
295 UKIDSH
304 TVLDHD
307 NwsNnHD
326 GFAMHD
328 TV1HD (HD only)
333 IFCHD
342 GRIOTV (HD only)
343 i24NEWS (App)
349 NEWSMXH
354 CHDR (App)
359 FBNHD
369 DSTRHD (HD only)
381 ASPHD (HD only)
386 FM HD (HD only)
390 CBSeHD (and WCBS/2 NYC)
391 CBSwHD (and KCBS/2 LA)
392 NBCeHD (and WNBC/4 NYC)
393 NBCwHD (and KNBC/4 LA)
396 ABCeHD (and WABC/7 NYC)
397 ABCwHD (and KABC/7 LA)
398 FOXeHD (and WNYW/5 NYC)
399 FOXwHD (and KTTV/11 LA)
402 UNIeHD
464 TUDNHD
529 STZEHD (Starz Edge HD)
546 ParSHOhw
553 TMCeHD
555 TMCXHD (HD only)
557 AMCPLS (HD only)
558 MGM (HD only)
559 MGMHT (HD only)
560 MGMMAR (HD only)
566 HDNM (HD only)
602 FDTVHD (HD only)
606 OUTHD
612 ACCNHD
623 NXT-HD (HD only)
625 WILLOW (HD only)
635 MSGSNHD
646 BSSOHD
659 SNPTHD
662 BSGLHD
664 MARQHD
671 BSMWHD
690 SNLAHD
698 NSCAHD
720-1 DTV (Extra Innings Ordering Channel)
750 NBAHD (League Pass Mix)
750-1 DTV (League Pass Ordering Channel)
769-1 DTV (Center Ice Ordering Channel)
799 IHT (App)
800 MCTV (App)
2080 SBSHD
9150 *DTV (Sports Alt)
9151 *DTV (Sports Alt)
9152 *DTV (Sports Alt)
9153 *DTV (Sports Alt)
9154 *DTV (Sports Alt)

For Spotbeam LILs:
Denver, Colorado Springs, Nashville, Jackson TN, Cincinnati, Columbus OH, Mankato, Rochester MN, Dayton, Ft Smith, Kansas City, Joplin, Alexandria, Springfield MO, La Crosse, Madison, Wausau, Indianapolis, Sacramento, San Francisco, Las Vegas, El Paso, Palm Springs, Yuma, Bakersfield, Boston, NYC, Savannah, West Palm Beach, Greenville NC, Norfolk, Richmond, Portland ME, Providence, Miami, Greensboro, Charleston SC, Sprigfield MA, Harlingen, Laredo, Charlotte, Spokane, Seattle, Yakima, Minot, Missoula, Des Moines, Great Falls, Monterey, Chico, Duluth, Butte, Fairbanks, Juneau, Eureka, Little Rock, Baton Rouge, Honolulu, Lafayette LA, Abilene, Lubbock, Odessa, Biloxi, Corpus Christi, Austin, Tulsa, Washington DC, Ft. Wayne, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Rochester NY, Youngstown, Grand Rapids, South Bend, Burlington, Syracuse, Richmond, Mobile, Minneapolis, Traverse City, Green Bay, Birmingham and Montgomery are affected

Only "Some" customers noticed. The Signal Saver switch to streaming wouldn't even be notices by lots of customers. And if the National channels you watch aren't on 99cb, then you wouldn't notice. Local channel loss is much more noticable. My local ION station is gone, but I wouldn't notice because I never watch it.
I can't stand the PR messaging. I guess they went with we don't have an issue if you don't notice it.

Reactions: syphix
So they could easily uplink all the missing CONUS feeds, but not the spot beams?
Easily is a relative term. Yes, there would be a lot of scrambling by engineers and technicians to do that, and it wouldn't happen real quick, but it can be done. technically, without launching another satellite.

The hard part would be coordinating and scheduling the truck rolls as until recently, the reverse band capable LNBs were only installed if it was a 4K installation or part of the migration of the 95 World Direct and 119 Spanish/Cantonese packages.

But based on the latest statement, it looks like the plan is to bring D11 back online.

The hard part would be coordinating and scheduling the truck rolls as until recently, the reverse band capable LNBs were only installed if it was a 4K installation or part of the migration of the 95 World Direct and 119 Spanish/Cantonese packages.

But based on the latest statement, it looks like the plan is to bring D11 back online.
Any LNB replacement or new installation in the past few years were reverse band capable. But that doesn't get everyone.

The local stations out of Madison, WI., have to go to streaming service. It would be nice if they came back after 6pm cst, as my wife depends on recording her shows every evening. The Wisconsin Badgers basketball is on Peacock this evening, so that is not an issue.......lol Such is life. We have several apps on our TCL Roko Tv's, which we subscribe to annually.