Deactivating a used directv hd receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coast

Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
socal
Greetings. I recently purchased a used directv hd receiver (H20) online, but when I tried to install it, directv told me that it has to be deactivated before I can use it. They told me that they cannot deactivate it unless he calls them and tells them that he wants to deactivate it. Unfortunately I no longer have contact with this person so I cannot ask him to do this for me. Am I completely screwed? :confused: Is there anything I can do? :confused:

Are you able to watch whatever channels the original owner subscribes to? If so then I'm sure he'll cancel it when he realizes he's still paying for it. If you don't see any channels it probably means he has an outstanding balance with directv and you might be screwd :eek:

Yeah, DTV would not give me the owner's information. :(

I have no way of contacting this person anymore, but I do know for a fact that the receiver is NOT leased, and is available for me to use it, other than the fact that it's still activated on the other dudes account. :/

...and I have no idea what 'get creative' means. ;):confused::) I know next to nothing about this stuff. :angel:

Yeah, DTV would not give me the owner's information. :(

I have no way of contacting this person anymore, but I do know for a fact that the receiver is NOT leased, and is available for me to use it, other than the fact that it's still activated on the other dudes account. :/

...and I have no idea what 'get creative' means. ;):confused::) I know next to nothing about this stuff. :angel:

Kevin Mitnic(sp?) is a very creative guy . I am limited in what I can say as I work for the company . If you call in from a phone not tied to your account I would not know you from the owner who sold you the box.

Hmm I tried calling and cutting them off by saying 'i just want to deactivate a box,' but they would not let me do it without providing account info. :/

I cant spell it out for you unfortunately I wish some one else would . You might even have to play csr roulette. Normally a customer calls in we ask for there account number or phone number. if they dont have that infomation which some of them dont we try other methods to pull up there account.

Maybe an email to Ellen could help. DirecTV needs to have a department that can intervene for someone in the position of the OP and contact the owner

However, this brings up the fact that if you plan to buy a receiver online, you need to contact DirecTV to determine the status of the receiver.

Maybe an email to Ellen could help. DirecTV needs to have a department that can intervene for someone in the position of the OP and contact the owner

However, this brings up the fact that if you plan to buy a receiver online, you need to contact DirecTV to determine the status of the receiver.

She will not be able to help as of fears of stolen property.

Thanks for the info guys. I was able to get the information, deactivate the box, and reactive it under my name. Now I'm just waiting for the new access card in the mail.

Final question: would it be possible for me to install the box by myself? If I set up a professional installer, theyre going to charge me $50. I live in an apartment complex where there is one large satellite that feeds the entire complex, so I don't know if this makes things easier or more difficult.

Thanks again!

Just out of curiosity, why didnt you just sign up for a new customer deal and get a free receiver, free installation and discounted programming?

Just out of curiosity, why didnt you just sign up for a new customer deal and get a free receiver, free installation and discounted programming?
Chances are excellent that the OP is an existing customer. Those promotional items aren't available to existing customers.

Maybe he doesn't want to have or extend a commitment.

Chances are excellent that the OP is an existing customer. Those promotional items aren't available to existing customers.

Doesnt seem to be, since he's asking if he can install it himself to the apartment buildings dish and doesnt seem sure of how to go about it.

If he was trying to avoid a commitment or extension, buying a used receiver unless its a truly owned receiver wont help. Activating any receiver thats not owned creates a commitment or extension. I didnt think any/many H20's were put out as 'owned' units, were there? I thought the only owned HD receivers in any sort of volume were the HR21pro's.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that 99.2% of the people who buy used receivers are trying to duck the commitment and that doesnt necessarily work. And half the time they end up 'buying' a leased box.

Doesnt seem to be, since he's asking if he can install it himself to the apartment buildings dish and doesnt seem sure of how to go about it.

If he was trying to avoid a commitment or extension, buying a used receiver unless its a truly owned receiver wont help. Activating any receiver thats not owned creates a commitment or extension. I didnt think any/many H20's were put out as 'owned' units, were there? I thought the only owned HD receivers in any sort of volume were the HR21pro's.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that 99.2% of the people who buy used receivers are trying to duck the commitment and that doesnt necessarily work. And half the time they end up 'buying' a leased box.

IIRC, the H20 is the only Directv branded hd receiver that could be owned under normal circumstances. By the time the H21 came out, the leasing program was in effect.

I am an existing customer, so I would've had to pay $100 just to LEASE the receiver from directv, in addition to the monthly lease fee. :(

I currently have three regular DTV receivers, they HD receiver will be replacing the receiver in the living room. I'm sure it's not as simple as disconnecting one and connecting the other, right? There are settings that need to be adjusted?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)