Deactivating a used directv hd receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Had friend with the same problem, After all the BS he got them to activate the receiver by buying another access card!
After you got the card it had a 800 number to call and he activated it over the phone, His receiver works like a champ!
Now before EVERYBODY says it can't be done it can be done, whats the saying oh yea If yer going to talk the talk you
got to walk the walk or something like that.

Had friend with the same problem, After all the BS he got them to activate the receiver by buying another access card!
After you got the card it had a 800 number to call and he activated it over the phone, His receiver works like a champ!
Now before EVERYBODY says it can't be done it can be done, whats the saying oh yea If yer going to talk the talk you
got to walk the walk or something like that.

I have also done what you are talking about; BUT I think the difference in what we did and the OP's situation is that the receiver he has, is that it is not yet DEACTIVATED.

The receiver might have been used on a active account for a while. Then it was deactivated and used with a hacked card. The card had a ecm by Directv. After the ecm, the thief tried to rehack the card but couldn't because it was an older card that was phased out. With a phased out card and a nonactive account, the previous owner "donated" the receiver to Goodwill to get rid of evidence.

Also a possibility!

The box may have been stolen and then "anonymously donated" to Goodwill when that person found out they couldn't activate it. After reading all the points I am still not too sure why you are so upset at DirecTV other than you basically got jobbed out of a few bucks by trying to score a great deal on a used, not too sure where it came from, DirecTV unit. Chalk it up to never buying stuff like this in the manner in which you did and go get another receiver.

I mean really, what do you expect them to do? In this day and age with ID thieves, crooks and lawsuits waiting to happen with privacy concerns and darn near every other reason these days; they really can't go down this avenue. Just donate the receiver back to Goodwill and get something more legit from a reputable seller or reseller of such items or from someone you may know personally and can trust or contact at a later time if need be.

How's the AZ weather? Lived in Gilbert for about 12 years before being transferred about 3 years ago and wish I was still there.

The receiver has been active since 2008 and I purchased it in September. It also shows as the only recever on their account.

Here are 2 reasons I am upset the DirecTV:
1. I was told by DirecTV I could activate the receiver before I purchase it in September.
2. The Tech. Support Manager was way out of line (Rude, Raising her voice, belittling, Hanging up on me and most of all not answering any of my simple questions)

Today was a high of 73. Simply Beautiful...

Thank you all for your input,

Robert

wouldn't you think that D* would WANT to contact this person that the recvr was owned by ?
If the recvr is still active, the owner would still be paying on it.

The recvr is a H21 ?
99% of them were LEASED not owned.

D* you would think would contact the owner and say Hey, WE own this recvr, return it if your not using it and see what they say ...

These recvrs were released probably in '07-'08 ?
Definatly a LEASED era.

If you turn in the receiver, will they give you a discount for a clean receiver?
Doubtful, never heard of this happening. They do give a discount on receivers for some accounts based on account history, so that could be an option for them to offer.

wouldn't you think that D* would WANT to contact this person that the recvr was owned by ?
If the recvr is still active, the owner would still be paying on it.

The recvr is a H21 ?
99% of them were LEASED not owned.

D* you would think would contact the owner and say Hey, WE own this recvr, return it if your not using it and see what they say ...

These recvrs were released probably in '07-'08 ?
Definatly a LEASED era.

Exactly, I would want DirecTV to inform me that somebody is in possession on my property and they are trying to activate it.

The receiver was manufactured in 02/15/08 and is owned.

Maybe the previous owner died. The account was on auto bill or eft. When the owners proerty was taken care of, who ever got the receiver thought the account had been canceled and donated the receiver. That person(s) never called Directv to notify them and to cancel the account.

Tech support the wrong department, if your going to yell, yell at acdt ( access card distrubution team )
I called them (ACDT) gave them the RID# and his exact words were " Oh My, ... please hold... (2 minutes later) Well that receiver is currently active on another account. I apologize. You will not be able to activate it today. He did however answer my earlier question that the Tech Manager would not: If my receiver is stolen and the thief tries to activate it will you notify me or the authorities? Answer: NO!!!

On a side note, I was not yelling at anyone the Tech Manager was yelling at me.

I appreciate all the input. Thank you!

Robert (detox)

Maybe the previous owner died. The account was on auto bill or eft. When the owners proerty was taken care of, who ever got the receiver thought the account had been canceled and donated the receiver. That person(s) never called Directv to notify them and to cancel the account.
I was thinking the same thing but, what do I know.

Robert (detox)

I understand the frustration, but it isnt DirecTV's fault, or yours, it is honestly the one you got it from, they should of deactivated it.

I understand DirecTV because they dont know if it has been stolen, and since you arent the previous owner, and the potential of bill on the receiver, makes it not your or there fault.

OP, Whats the big deal here.
What did you pay for the recvr ?
Not much I would guess.
Why not call D* and get a NEW recvr, it would be much simplier.

OP, Whats the big deal here.
What did you pay for the recvr ?
Not much I would guess.
Why not call D* and get a NEW recvr, it would be much simplier.
The problem is that I was told I could activate the receiver before I purchased it. I still find it odd that DirecTV is not willing to contact the person who's account this stills shows active on.

I paid $69.99 for the receiver.

I do not like contracts. I have been a DirecTV customer for over ten years now I think only 3 of those year were contract years. Whether it is DirecTV, Verizon or a Prenuptial I want the freedom the move on without major consequences if my needs are not meet.

Thanks for you input,

detox

The problem is that I was told I could activate the receiver before I purchased it. I still find it odd that DirecTV is not willing to contact the person who's account this stills shows active on.

I paid $69.99 for the receiver.

I do not like contracts. I have been a DirecTV customer for over ten years now I think only 3 of those year were contract years. Whether it is DirecTV, Verizon or a Prenuptial I want the freedom the move on without major consequences if my needs are not meet.

Thanks for you input,

detox

I understand your position, but if you have been with Directv for 10+ years, you are most likely going to be here for another 2 anyway, yes?

$70 for a used unit at goodwill? Ouch! I really think just activating it would maybe still have added 1 year, but I digress. After being a long standing user out of a contract; I would (and have done this) just called up and asked about picking up a NEW receiver from DirecTV; I have done this for free. Not worried about added years as I am not going elsewhere.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)