Please reply by conversation.

ratio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
near Hamilton, Ontario
Hey Guys,

What are the symptoms of a dead lnb?

I was watching tv last night and something was acting up. The picture would just disappear and I would hard reset the receiver and it came back OK. After doing that a couple of times, it seemed OK and I was able to move to other sats with no problem.

Had it on create tv this morning, did a scan of the sat and found BBC world news there (I was surprised) and then preceeded to scan Gal 18 and pickup Daystar and was watching it OK. While I was tweaking the motor (step size) to try and get the best quality, the signal and quality both went to 0.

Now they're just always 0 and I cannot get the dish to move at all when I try to change sats. Is my LNB dead? :(

I have a second Ku LNBF on tuner 2. I dont use it but whenever I switch to it, even though its not connected to any birds, I get a Signal but with my Invacom there is nothing just 0's.

I have...
Invacom Quad Polar LNB
Stab Motor DiseqC 1.2
KU LNBF
Sonic View Elite

Last edited:
I would check your cable or connectors first, the fact that the motor won't move is an indication of more than an LNB problem.

Dead LNB Symptoms? well the usual .... touch it by the side of the neck if no pulse . then it is dead! , lol.

you will get signal strength if the LNB connection is ok , as comfrey said check conectors, cables and possibly bypass the motor just in case. try using another long temporary cable and see what happens.

If most people are like me (I hope not) at some point in time they convince themselves that they have a dead LNB and purchase a new one only to find out that it was a cable or connector - so might as well get it over with and purchase a (soon to be spare) LNB ;)

If you have or can borrow one, use a voltmeter & a paperclip in the center of the LNB port of the receiver with the coax disconnected to see if any voltage is present on either H or V polarities.

After turning off from the back switch, disconnect the power first before removing the coax line connection. This will prevent damaging any LNBFs or diseqc switches you have in line.

With the receiver powered up again there should be ~18 volts on H & ~13 volts on V polarities. If there is no voltage at all I would suspect the power supply.

No juice - no LNBF output. No juice - no motor movement.

a simple way to tell is to bring the LNB inside to where your receiver is....connect it to your receiver with a short piece of coax that you know is good....if your signal shows anything above zero then your lnb is fine....

i would bet on a bad cable end/connection or your switch before the LNB....

if your signal shows anything above zero then your lnb is fine....
there are receivers that show a number regardless if there is a LNB hooked up. Pansats will show between 20-25 signal if nothing hooked up

there are receivers that show a number regardless if there is a LNB hooked up. Pansats will show between 20-25 signal if nothing hooked up

yes i realize that but he is using an elite....the elite shows zero without an lnb hooked up....

Status
Please reply by conversation.