Deal with NPS to "save" distants on DISH!

NPS is either a bust or it's not working properly. I'm in about as "white" a "white area" in VT as one can get and it still says I don't qualify. I even typed in some alternate addresses that I KNOW qualify under Longely-Rice and it still didn't work.

All the Burlington channels just went digital last month and I can't get even a trickle of signal OTA and this site says I don't qualify?

Hope you're listening Leahy!:mad:

I got an email after I entered my information that stated it wanted my reciever and smart card number.

Doesn't matter though... being in metro LA I most certainly don't qualify since I can pick up every local under the sun via an OTA antenna. Great for getting HD... killing me for getting distant nets though.

And I was looking forward to getting to see Saturday Night Live at 830PM too.

I just checked my email and they are asking for my receiver smartcard # to further qualify my account.

It said i was not qualified on the web site.

Here is the email
Due to the overwhelming response to Distant Networks, we are experiencing significant delays with our Network Eligibility & Qualification status. To ensure we establish the proper qualification & connection requirements for you, we will also need your individual unique satellite receiver # (i.e. smart card or access card #).

Thanks for your patience & understanding. Please allow 7 to 10 days for a response.

Smart Card/Access Card # |________________________|

Email address: |__________________________| needed for us to respond back to you,

The FCC has licensed two transponders to Sky Angel. There have almost literally been acts of God in order to keep Sky Angel running those transponders. Sky Angel is supposed to put up their own uplinks and satellite at 61.5. Instead, Dish Network had to lease space from their satellite for Sky Angel to continue to run, and this had to have been approved by the FCC.

However, I am still wondering if the leasing of the DBS band to NPS would require FCC approval. Something tells me it does, but I cannot put my finger on it.

Anyway, they may be separate entities, but both will require the use of Dish Network to offer services. This in and of itself would stop either Sky Angel or NPS from using a Dish Network asset to provide distant networks, as both companies have a business arrangement with Dish Network for support. By providing bandwidth to these companies, those companies would also be constrained by the injunction.
I think you are wrong.. Sky angel has 6 transponders...4 are "leased" to e*

I suspect based on that email, NPS will only authorize 1 IRD per $9 - not all on your Dish Account - just as they do for C-Band subs.

Here is the email

Yea, I just got it too - less than 10 minutes after I didn't qualify per their site.

This doesn't make sense (at least to me:) ).

What do the smart card numbers have to do with qualification? The only reason they'd need those numbers is to actually handshake with your receiver and they wouldn't need to do that unless you're already qualified.

Something is a little screwy here.

Here's the email I got after enrolling:

"Thanks for purchasing Distant Networks from AllAmericanDirect.com. Your order total was $0.00. Please visit our main web site for other products like: High Definition Televisions, DVD players, High Speed Satellite Internet, Sirius"

Thats exactly what I got. I tried to re enter my infomationr to requal again and I got a note saying that I am already signed up.

Thanks for purchasing Distant Networks from AllAmericanDirect.com. Your order total was $0.00.

Please visit our main web site for other products like: High Definition Televisions, DVD players, High Speed Satellite Internet, Sirius Satellite Radio, and more at www.AllAmericanDirect.com.

So this process is wierd indeed. Perhaps as Dish has not disconnected me yet but so far no email asking for the smart card number

I just called NPS, and the lady there gave me a 1-800 number to call. I called the number, and it asked for my telephone number and credit card number. According to the website I do not qualify, although I am 80 miles from Birmingham, AL (My DMA) and get a grade B signal on all channels except for ABC. The recording said that it may take up to 24 hours to be activated. I guess I will see tomorrow if I get them. By the way, does anyone know the channel numbers for the NPS distants?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)