Deals for long term customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gregg Loewen

Founder, PVA: Professional Video Alliance
Original poster
Corporate Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
New England
Hi
Ive been a customer of DTV for more than 15 years. Are there any deals (especially with Covid) for continued service.
I called and was told they would take $30 a month off for 12 months.
They also want $99 per receiver to upgrade to 4K.
Any thoughts ?
TIA

Gregg

Hi
Ive been a customer of DTV for more than 15 years. Are there any deals (especially with Covid) for continued service.
I called and was told they would take $30 a month off for 12 months.
They also want $99 per receiver to upgrade to 4K.
Any thoughts ?
TIA

Gregg

I just called last month (discounts fell off) and today (discount fell off) and I got $12 and $7 off for a month for a year starting last month, and $45 of a month for a year starting this month.

That's on top of the $23 on going discount I get until I upgrade my equipment and free ST Max.

23+ years of service, though.

I think you can do better.

what are you discounts for ?
Forgot I am also getting a 7 / month discount for 1 free receiver.
I have the premier package and 8 receivers, my current pricing is 265.33 monthly (with tax), i have been offered 226 monthly (with the 30 monthly discount x 12 months, plus 7 for the receiver).
They also want to charge me $99 per receiver to upgrade to 4K. (which I think is ridiculous)

I have the premier package and 8 receivers, my current pricing is 265.33 monthly (with tax), i have been offered 226 monthly (with the 30 monthly discount x 12 months, plus 7 for the receiver).
They also want to charge me $99 per receiver to upgrade to 4K. (which I think is ridiculous)
Did you talk to the Service reps (CSR) or did you get ahold of the Loyalty dept or I think they call it the retention dept now ...

I went through the loyalty department and got a 12 month extension to my $60/month, 12 month discount.

called and spoke with Loyalty.
they are offering a $30 a month discount x 12 months (new cost 226.98 a month plus tax).
They also want $198 to upgrade 2 receivers to 4K.
hmm....
Time to Hulu?

Wow 265. My bill is around $70.

Here is what I have...

Advanced Receiver Service - DVR$10 off until next equipment upgrade
Advanced Receiver Service - HD$10 off until next equipment upgrade
Whole-Home DVR Service$3 off until next equipment upgrade
$45 Off for 12 Months ($540 Value) Loyalty Offer
$10 off for 12 months with qualifying AT&T bundle
$7 off for 12 months

So that's $85 a month and free ST Max.

I have the HR54 and 3 subs. I also have the protection plan and autopay.

ARGH, the frustration continues...

On Nov 17th I called in and had my plan changed around. They also added the $20.99 a month equipment coverage. I was specifically told that if i called back any time after Dec 18th i would be eligible for free equipment upgrades (specifically for 4K) because I added the 20.99 a month coverage. Today I call and the Loyalty dept transfers to me the Tech Dept, after going through the tech and then the tech's supervisor, I was told absolutely not. What a crock of sheet.

I then call back to the Loyalty Dept who then does a group call with the Tech Dept who repeats the absolutely not (and that I have to have it for 2 years before upgrading).

un frkn believable!

any thoughts ?

wow, another 55 minutes on the phone with a Loyalty supervisor....
i am being credited back the 20.99 fees and cancelled going forward.
It turns out my Genie will do 4K now (it will broadcast to my minis) but will not show 4k content.
DTV is switching out my 2 minis to 4K at no cost.
they are adding a new 4K mini beside my current Genie so i can get 4K on that TV.
I will be charged a $7 / month fee for the additional genie mini.
Okay, I guess Im satisfied, ;-?
(after 2 hours on the phone).

Gregg

Last edited:
It turns out my Genie will do 4K now (it will broadcast to my minis) but will not show 4k content.
they are adding a new 4K mini beside my current Genie so i can get 4K on that TV.

Gregg
And you just got yourself a new 2 year contract

Reactions: MitchDeerfield

Gregg
Thats how it should have been the first time you called.
Yes, when they made the Genies, they didn't make any that were capable of outputting 4K, they made it so your tied to the add on Client (C61k)
And haven't made any that do it all since.

I'm a 18 year customer, and in the past it's been fairly easy to get at least a 12 month $50 discount plus shortterm additional programming. This year has been anything but that.

I called last month and spoke to the loyalty department. The rep sounded lost from the beginning, so I should've anticipated what was coming. He agreed quickly to another $50 discount for 12 months and after fumbling around said I was all set. I got off the phone and turned on my television to see that he had promptly deleted my entire programming package (which happened to be a grandfathered package of Choice at a cheaper price plus a free season of the NFL). After another 2 1/2 hours transferring around departments, my programming was reconnected with the current Choice package (at an additional cost), no more NFL package, and I was credited $50 for 1 month and told to call the loyalty department back next month for updated incentives (something about the programming having to cycle through my account...who knows).

So, I called the loyaltly department yesterday again and the rep said I could only have a $40 discount for the next 12 months (not the $50 I was promised the previous month) and mumbled something about free Showtime for the next 4 months. I reluctantly agreed, and although I did receive the $40 discount (without wiping out my programming package), I didn't get the promised Showtime. I called today and the person I spoke to was very apologetic, but said he didn't understand why I was promised Showtime as there wasn't anything on his screen offering that. He put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back with an offer of $10 for one month and said I could call back next month (a total putoff). I explained to him what I had been through and promised the last 2 months and 4 calls. He said he was very sorry but would not offer anything to compensate me for my time. I asked him what would be my costs to cancel. He didn't want me to cancel, but would not do anything to keep me as a loyal customer, just wanted me off the phone. I hung up in the middle of his insincere sorrys.

I plan on cancelling and going to all OTA and streaming before the next billing date. I've had enough. Sad how a once good company like DirecTV has turned into total garbage as AT&T/DirecTV.

I'm a 18 year customer, and in the past it's been fairly easy to get at least a 12 month $50 discount plus shortterm additional programming. This year has been anything but that.
I've been a customer for 13 years. While I've been very successful in keeping my bill well below what it would be without discounts, some periods have been better than others. Everyone has to make their own choices, but I'd make some very careful calculations about what you watch and what it will cost to stream it. Don't forget to take into account how easy it is to just watch with DTV.

TBH, I'd probably go to a streaming option if it were just me, but my wife is a bit "technically challenged." She'd kill me.

I called last month and spoke to the loyalty department. The rep sounded lost from the beginning, so I should've anticipated what was coming. He agreed quickly to another $50 discount for 12 months and after fumbling around said I was all set. I got off the phone and turned on my television to see that he had promptly deleted my entire programming package (which happened to be a grandfathered package of Choice at a cheaper price plus a free season of the NFL). After another 2 1/2 hours transferring around departments, my programming was reconnected with the current Choice package (at an additional cost), no more NFL package, and I was credited $50 for 1 month and told to call the loyalty department back next month for updated incentives (something about the programming having to cycle through my account...who knows).

So, I called the loyaltly department yesterday again and the rep said I could only have a $40 discount for the next 12 months (not the $50 I was promised the previous month) and mumbled something about free Showtime for the next 4 months. I reluctantly agreed, and although I did receive the $40 discount (without wiping out my programming package), I didn't get the promised Showtime. I called today and the person I spoke to was very apologetic, but said he didn't understand why I was promised Showtime as there wasn't anything on his screen offering that. He put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back with an offer of $10 for one month and said I could call back next month (a total putoff). I explained to him what I had been through and promised the last 2 months and 4 calls. He said he was very sorry but would not offer anything to compensate me for my time. I asked him what would be my costs to cancel. He didn't want me to cancel, but would not do anything to keep me as a loyal customer, just wanted me off the phone. I hung up in the middle of his insincere sorrys.

I plan on cancelling and going to all OTA and streaming before the next billing date. I've had enough. Sad how a once good company like DirecTV has turned into total garbage as AT&T/DirecTV.
At some point it is best for both the company and customer to say goodbye. After two months you can sign up as a new customer, that seems to be the deal that you are trying to get.

Reactions: mccoyrj
I've been a customer for 13 years. While I've been very successful in keeping my bill well below what it would be without discounts, some periods have been better than others. Everyone has to make their own choices, but I'd make some very careful calculations about what you watch and what it will cost to stream it. Don't forget to take into account how easy it is to just watch with DTV.

TBH, I'd probably go to a streaming option if it were just me, but my wife is a bit "technically challenged." She'd kill me.
You said your wife was technically challenged. What's so hard about getting YouTube TV or Hulu TV. It's the same as the dish except it's coming from a broadband or DSL stream. Plus you don't have to worry about snow or rain interrupting your program.

You said your wife was technically challenged. What's so hard about getting YouTube TV or Hulu TV. It's the same as the dish except it's coming from a broadband or DSL stream. Plus you don't have to worry about snow or rain interrupting your program.
Make sure you check your internet bill at that point .... also check to see what it cost if you go over your data limit, or how much more it cost to get unlimited ... (mine would cost me an addl. $30 pm for unlimited) its already high enough as far as I'm concerned.

Make sure you check your internet bill at that point .... also check to see what it cost if you go over your data limit, or how much more it cost to get unlimited ... (mine would cost me an addl. $30 pm for unlimited) its already high enough as far as I'm concerned.
$30 + $65 ( YTTV) is still cheaper then the average Dish/DirecTV bill, specially when you add in box charges, DVR fee, locals, etc.

And not everyone has to pay extra for no data caps, I have Charter so no

$30 + $65 ( YTTV) is still cheaper then the average Dish/DirecTV bill, specially when you add in box charges, DVR fee, locals, etc.

And not everyone has to pay extra for no data caps, I have Charter so no
What does your internet cost ?

I have no chance of getting Charter here.
Currently my DVR and locals are part of my package price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)