Dear Dish: Please add AJE

LINK TV now carrying Al Jazeera English live throughout most of the day.

Link TV ( Directv channel 375 / Dish Network channel 9410 ) programming will be interrupted by a LIVE broadcast of Al Jazeera English during these times:

11pm ET - 4am ET
5am ET - 9am ET
10am ET - 11am ET
12pm ET - 2pm ET

check www.linktv.org for the latest updates.

http://twitter.com/linktv

Last edited:
For those interested in just the channels on 97W (Galaxy19) the easiest way by far is a do it yourself Glorystar system.

Add me to the list who've been wanting more international English on dish, specifically BBC World and AJE. Not all US citizens are obsessed with celebrity "news" and fluff.

This programming announcement warrants its own title and thread. The other thread was about requesting carriage.

I've been watching and it's wonderful not to have to listen to people trying to figure out how to fit the Egyptian uprising into American left vs. right politics. Hopefully we get AJE on a dedicated channel soon.

ALERT: 2/1/11 - Programming will be interrupted by a LIVE broadcast of Al Jazeera English during these times:
•3:00pm - 4:30pm ET
•5:00pm - 6:00pm ET
•7:00pm - 7:30pm ET
DISH Ch. 9410 & DirecTV Ch. 375

More times announced later, check www.linktv.org for the latest updates.
http://twitter.com/linktv

Last edited:
There have been numerous news articles written over the past few days about the unavailability of Al Jazeera in the USA. Here is one summary:

Will U.S. cable providers carry Al Jazeera English? - Yahoo! News

Apparently Dish Network said this to the NY Times.
Dish Network: “We don’t carry Al Jazeera English. We do carry Al Jazeera Arabic and Al Jazeera Sport in our Arabic packages. We have no announcements about carrying any new Al Jazeera channels at this time. We always evaluate how we can enhance our line-up.”

Last edited:
r10fret said:
This programming announcement warrants its own title and thread. The other thread was about requesting carriage.

Yeah, but what does this have to do with dish network? Isn't there a separate forum here for tv channels and shows?

Well I, for one, am glad to see this posted here. I'm just about to set a timer for this. While we do have programming forums, I think this is timely, pertinent, of interest to a number of people, and being a much requested channel, it does relate to dish.

thanks r10fret for the alert - I'll give it a try tonight, I read many good reviews about Al Jazeera English coverage of the events and I'm curious to see it for myself.

they have already announced 6:00pm - 7:30pm PT tonight, too, which translates to 9-10:30ET. Great, I know what I'll watch tonight at 9 - who cares for yet another local news talking about upcoming winter storm....

Dish does not have the will to carry AJE, God forbid they upset any one with a closed mind. Luckily LINKTV realizes the value of carrying their programs and there is nothing dish can do about that.

There is a definite level of intolerance directed at international subscribers that permeates these forums! Why else are threads being deleted?

Last edited:
I'd like to see Al-Jazeera English and BBC World News as well as EuroNews - but I'm in California, and they are apparently are not on any of the three satellites listed in my system (119, 110 and 129). Can Dish put them on one of these? I asked for Al-Jazeera English a long time ago, but it's still not there (although Link TV has been broadcasting it all day). I saw an offer to upgrade someone to receive Al-Jazeera, but I have no idea if there's anyone in my area who can do this. Sorry I'm so ignorant about how this works...
Shneor

I think Dish Network should reconsider carrying this channel. I've been watching live coverage of the revolution taking place in Egypt on Al Jazeera and I've been blown away at the level of journalism and depth of coverage on what is going on. It reminds me of what CNN used to be like in the early 1990s. Unfortunately I have to watch it on the internet as it doesn't seem to be available on the more than $100/month subscription I'm paying for Dish service.

topcat 5, at the moment Link TV (9410) is showing a lot of Al Jazeera's live reporting on the Egyptian crisis and in normal times they have daily Al Jazeera news broadcasts.

Live Coverage from Al Jazeera English continues on LinkTV overnight:

DISH Ch. 9410 & DirecTV Ch. 375

2/1
9:00pm - 10:30pm ET
11:00pm - 11:30pm ET

2/2
1:30am - 4:00am ET
5:00am - 6:00am PT
8:00am - 9:00am PT

For more schedule updates visit:
www.linktv.org

Last edited:
Thank you for this thread. I'm watching right now and this is NEWS... Not some documentary on a prison or debating the affects on the left or right. This needs to be an a la carte option for sure.

A $60 investment in a Roku box and $0 a month (no money) can get you Al Jazeera in English on the Roku newscaster (16x9 SD quality)

There is also a private channel (see thread in IPTV forum) that will get you the following for FREEEEEE (Varying PQ about the same as Dish's International feeds or better)

Al Arabiya (Arabic)

Al Jaseera (Arabic)
Al Jazeera (English)
BBC News
BBC Parliament

Democratic Voice of Burma (Burmese)

Euronews (English)

Euronews (German)
Euronews (Spanish)
Euronews (French)
Euronews (Italian)
Euronews (Portuguese)
Euronews (Turkish)
Euronews (Russian)
Euronews (Arabic)

France 24 (English)
France 24 (French)

France 24 (Arabic)

Frontline Club (Offline when I tried it)

Intelligence (offline when I tried it)

NASA TV (already available in other places on Roku including Newscaster)

Nour TV (Farsi)

Press TV (Teheran)

RT (dubbed from Russian to English)
UNHCR (offline when I tried it)