Denon 3313CI incoming

I'm heading into unknown area's, first ever experience with a stand alone amp. Should be interesting. Not sure if Ill notice a big difference with XT32 vs XT, Im not that picky an audio guy, but I know itll help when I can add another sub. Will take the voodoo out of it for me.

Got a nice cozy spot for the amp made. Spent 4 hours on the stand, pulling it out and all the, re-routing the wires and drilling holes for the shelf movement.

IMG_20130919_190055_621_zps5761281f.jpg

Fast, left TN last night and arrived at 9:30 this morning.

Comes in baggy like Oppo
100_0231_zps95689cf1.jpg

Manual, power cord, spare fuses and 12v trigger cable (I bought a mono one from RS because that is what Denon recommends)
100_0230_zps286efe85.jpg

3 6ft interconnects
100_0228_zpsd26b64e9.jpg

Bottom
100_0232_zps6cd54ccb.jpg

Front (silver trim will be going)
100_0233_zpsc9d6ce98.jpg

Top (much of the weight is the transformer; four 10,000uf caps)
100_0234_zps9772382e.jpg

Back
100_0235_zps3287a962.jpg

Have fun. I just might head into the old shop tomorrow. Should be a nice temp processor and then move nicely into the family room.

S~

IMG_20130920_182833_181_zps92887d4f.jpg

Ignore all the wife frilly nilly stuff...

Opinion: Since looking at amps, Ive heard a lot of input from both sides of the fence on brands, and the worthiness of separates in general. It's a pretty passionate subject (seems about as bad as Onkyo vs Denon :) ), and while I don't attempt to be an audiophile (lord knows I'm anal about video), I am still able to note differences. Since buying the Klipsch towers, Ive always loved the horns, but they were harsh to me in the beginning. As I grew accustomed to them I enjoyed the level of detail, and how they could be played loud, but still felt in scenes with a lot going (treble) some of the sounds felt especially squished together.

Tonight we watched Jack the Giant Slayer in 3D, and I had her cranked, about as much as I could stand. I noticed a change in general in how my setup usually sounds in the loud scenes. IMO, the center has more presence, and the fronts were more clean in scenes with a lot going on. What I mean is, they were still the Klipsch horn sound, and maybe a tad harsh, but all the detail was there and I didn't feel it was being squished. When those action scenes would take off from 0-100, it was loud, all the minor sounds and details amongst the more loud action seemed to still be there and defined. I can't really find the words to describe it, I'll just say that in loud action scenes, the lighter detail sounds (like armor clanking) seem to be well defined, and not lost in the other sound.

Of course this will take a lot more evaluation, but my initial impression is that when pushing the system, this amp is an improvement over the Denon 3312ci.

Fact: After the 2 hour movie, the Denon X4000 which was being used as a pre pro, is more hot than the UPA-500 :)

I was going to post that you would probably notice quite a difference, but I didn't want to bias your opinion.

S~

It's a pretty heated topic. Some say "those 125w denons have the same power as the UPA", then other's say with an separate power isnt everything. Some kept referring to "it will open things up a bit" and maybe thats what I mean, its hard to put into words, but I do think it was a noticeable improvement in the overall SQ. Will be looking forward to pushing it on more movies over the next couple of weeks.

I dont know enough about it, but my thinking was that even with the same power, double the cap size should leave more power stored for those demanding scenes, at least more than the denon would.

All of the gobbledy gook aside, if it sounds good to you and you are happy, that's what really matters the most. Well, and the WF, of course.

I agree, but I like to try and give folks as accurate an description as I can of my experience. Many times you go into these purchases not knowing what your getting, or assuming something thats not true because of "reviews". I take no issue with returning or selling something I dont think performs as advertised!

IMG_20130920_182833_181_zps92887d4f.jpg

Ignore all the wife frilly nilly stuff...

Opinion: Since looking at amps, Ive heard a lot of input from both sides of the fence on brands, and the worthiness of separates in general. It's a pretty passionate subject (seems about as bad as Onkyo vs Denon :) ), and while I don't attempt to be an audiophile (lord knows I'm anal about video), I am still able to note differences. Since buying the Klipsch towers, Ive always loved the horns, but they were harsh to me in the beginning. As I grew accustomed to them I enjoyed the level of detail, and how they could be played loud, but still felt in scenes with a lot going (treble) some of the sounds felt especially squished together.

Tonight we watched Jack the Giant Slayer in 3D, and I had her cranked, about as much as I could stand. I noticed a change in general in how my setup usually sounds in the loud scenes. IMO, the center has more presence, and the fronts were more clean in scenes with a lot going on. What I mean is, they were still the Klipsch horn sound, and maybe a tad harsh, but all the detail was there and I didn't feel it was being squished. When those action scenes would take off from 0-100, it was loud, all the minor sounds and details amongst the more loud action seemed to still be there and defined. I can't really find the words to describe it, I'll just say that in loud action scenes, the lighter detail sounds (like armor clanking) seem to be well defined, and not lost in the other sound.

Of course this will take a lot more evaluation, but my initial impression is that when pushing the system, this amp is an improvement over the Denon 3312ci.

Fact: After the 2 hour movie, the Denon X4000 which was being used as a pre pro, is more hot than the UPA-500 :)

Ok, I've only started getting into home theater audio over the last couple years and my setup is very simple. I only have an Onkyo 609 and a 5.1 speaker setup I bought with some help from AVS forum. I think I understand the point of the emotiva device you just purchased but not totally. What is the thing between the Oppo and Hopper though?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028RCZSS/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apc G5Blk 9-Outlet G-Type Rack-Mountable Power Conditioner

1000x1000_APNG5BLK.jpg

I like APC stuff, it tells me when protection has failed, this one wont trim high voltage but it will shut itself off if voltage drops too low. It has a fuse and overload protection, two high current plugs for a sub/AVR, and when there is a power outage and it comes back it, it turns each outlet on one at time in a staggered start.

I have this:
Products889872-1200x1200-1662426.jpg

And it arguably better because it has a huge transformer which actually takes over if voltage gets too high or drops to much, and either trims it or steps it up. I just cant fit it anymore, so I put in my closet of lost things :)

Ill use it one day if I can build a dedicted HT.

As far as the amp goes, depending on your situation and gear, adding an external power amp can increase the performance and SQ of your audio gear. Basically you run 1 RCA interconnect out of you AVR (if it has the ability to be a preamp) for each channel, into your amp. You then connect the speakers to the amp. Same difference as a sub which gets the one preout from you AVR simply for the signal, because it has its own onboard amp.

Now Im being told that since the Emo is slightly less power than the 3312ci was, me saying there is something different and better about the sound means Im just trying to justify my purchase.

Sigh...

On another note, ive already figured out how I could fit a XPA-3 at 200w per channel LOL.

These are the things I'm better off not knowing. My untrained ears are happy with the speakers connected directly to the Onkyo 609 and everything plugged in to a standard home theater surge protector. I knew things could get better with a more expensive AVR and better speakers but a separate amp and power conditioner didn't even cross my mind as items to throw money at. Spending too much time in technology forums is dangerous for my wallet.

Anyways, my modest setup (I only spent about $1000 total between the AVR, sub, and 5 speakers) still sounds great to my untrained ears. When I say modest I am comparing my setup to what some of you guys have. No one I know in the real world has a system even comparable to mine. I think I'm better off keeping my head in the sand with this kind of stuff so I don't catch the upgrade bug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now Im being told that since the Emo is slightly less power than the 3312ci was, me saying there is something different and better about the sound means Im just trying to justify my purchase.

Sigh...

On another note, ive already figured out how I could fit a XPA-3 at 200w per channel LOL.
A whole lot more than just the wattage.

S~

Thats my understanding, but people wont accept that. The guy basically told me he has owned nothing but seperates since the 70's, but doesnt buy that the amp sounded differently from an AVR. Funny to me, since Ive owned nothing but AVR's and just bought an amp. Maybe he should eval some AVR's then form an opinion.

I caught myself playing around on Audiogon today, notice a 100w per channel Adcom amp for $250 + shipping. Man o man...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)