Denver OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does anybody know when D* will announce their plans for the conversion of the Denver local stations to mpeg4/HD??

I’ve heard late January is when they plan to start this conversion, which would make it nearly impossible to see the Super Bowl in HD on a D* system if you live in the Denver metro area

KMGH again said they will have the Superbowl from Republic Plaza.

(reference: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6861504&&#post6861504 ).

There are still a few doubters given the history of KMGH shoveling ferilizer in the past.
---

It is the voters of JeffCo that controls the zoning and the tower's future. Not all of Denver.

---

If that fails, The City of Golden is trying to condemn the land the tower is to be built on to keep it is Open Space.

Last edited:
I have heard Spring ( give or take a few months ) for Denver to get mpeg4 started. Yea channel 7 is still saying they will be ready by superbowl. Hope they allow time to fine tune their new antenna. Keep our fingers crossed or call comcast.

I have tried a basic $ 20 Radio shack antennae with no success on getting a good HD picture for the Denver locals, so my only hope is D* having a special HD broadcast for the Super bowl.

All that money spent for HD products and I can’t even watch the super bowl in HD-- and I will NOT go to Comcast.

I live in Westminster, so I must have tree/elevation problems on the line of sight into downtown.

Thomas P. said:
I have tried a basic $ 20 Radio shack antennae with no success on getting a good HD picture for the Denver locals, so my only hope is D* having a special HD broadcast for the Super bowl.
All that money spent for HD products and I can’t even watch the super bowl in HD-- and I will NOT go to Comcast.
I live in Westminster, so I must have tree/elevation problems on the line of sight into downtown.

not true. i am in westminster too and bought a $200 antenna ... professionally mounted ... nothing in the line ... and i can't get a HD signal ... can BARELY get an analog signal from ABC. fox, wb, cbs, and nbc all come in clear as day. (and i have the cbs and fox feeds from LA as well as i got waivers from them)

I have a Channel Master medium range UHF/VHF FM antenna that I got for $35.00 at Ace Hardware mounted in my attic and I can get everyone but KMGH just fine. I tried the expensive antennas, and they're just a joke. For aiming, I just called my wife on the cell phone while I was in the attic and she read me the signal strength. I can get 9, 4, and 2 between 77 and 86%, 6 is at 66-78%, and 31 is at 100%. In Westy, you should be able to get something!

Funny that you can't get NTSC 7. It's broadcast from the same area all the other NTSC stations are.

ATSC KDVR & KWGN are at 1/3 to 1/2 full power on Lookout- so if you can't get those you are unlikely to pick up all the other stations when the move to Lookout (in 2/2009).

I am just so reluctant to switch... and it may be for a stupid reason, but I absolutely hate Comcast's EPG. Just call me an old softie. :)

I'm running an H-10 near Green Valley Ranch.

2-1 = 69-77
4-1 = 77
6-1 = 69-77
7-1(2) = 79.86
9-1(2) = 93
12-1(2,3) = 69-77
20-1 = Nothing... not even listed as an option at 19-1.
31-1 = 93
53 = 30-45 and won't lock.

I really don't think I'm missing anything not being able to pull in 14 and 50 though.

No pixelization on any of the channels that I am pulling in, so 69% must be farely adequate.

All I know is that I'm HAPPY!

Greetings to all on this forum, this is my first post having come here seeking answers to the very subject this thread is dedicated to. I probably sound like a broken record, but like others here I just recently invested heavily in HD equipment (Pannasonic TH-50PHD8UK Plasma TV & HR10-250 DVR, from Newegg*com) hoping to host a Super Bowl party. I came here from the Tivo Community forums so if you want all the gory details you can read the thread I posted regarding this there:

w-w-w.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=284163

Long story short, I live in the mountains 40 mi. west of Denver (Gilpin Co.) and never have, and never will have OTA reception. I've been with DTV since the beginning in 1994, and have had SD East-West coast waivers for many years. So imagine my disappointment when I learned that the HD waivers are a whole different animal. I've put in a request with DTV's HD-DNS eligibility division for HD waivers but they said it could take as long as 45 days to process and I would most likely be turned down. I've since learned that some have had success by contacting the local Denver stations directly, but from reading this thread it would appear that the management at KMGH-TV 7 could care less about this situation.

So my questions are:

1] Do you think I stand a snowball's chance in hell asking for a waiver considering the fact I'll NEVER have OTA reception combined with the fact that the satellite feed for local stations won't go HD until May at the earliest?

2] Do any of you know of any mountain residents in my situation who have had any luck with HD waivers?

3] How about the other 3 network stations in Denver (NBC, CBS & FOX), are they more receptive to a request for HD waivers than KMGH-TV 7?

4] Lastly, does anyone have a list of the best contacts (names, phone #'s, addresses) at the Denver stations to begin negotiations for a waiver?

Any information, suggestions, etc. is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

--
Wirelezz

If you want it for the Superbowl, 'move' your service address to something like the LA DMA.

KMGH does not do waivers. Starting sometime later you can demand a digital signal test, but DTV and E* should be offering locals by then.

Fox and CBS are O&O so you should get waivers, unless you are covered by COS or CYS grade B signals (most of metro Denver is covered by one or the other), then you may need waivers from them too. Cheyenne is pretty good on waivers if you call them.

Thanks for your response Adent. "Moving" my service address is not an option as I'm sure by doing so I would lose the East-West SD waivers I currently have. They're grandfathered in and once they're gone there's no getting them back. Hypothetically, wouldn't the D* CSR flinch if I requested a "move" to a S. CA service address while keeping my billing in CO? (my D* bill is auto drafted from my bank account). It may be inappropriate to ask here, but what does one do, just grab an address at random from the phone book? :>)

ADent said:
Starting sometime later you can demand a digital signal test

. I'm new to this so could you eleaborate somwhat on this? What exactly is the digital signal test?

ADent said:
unless you are covered by COS or CYS grade B signals (most of metro Denver is covered by one or the other), then you may need waivers from them too.

What are COS or CYS grade B signals? Not in the SatGuys glossery...

ADent said:
Cheyenne is pretty good on waivers if you call them.

Can you tell me what stations are in Cheyenne (station identifiers, CH #'s etc.). Would I have to "move" my service address to WY to get waivers from Cheyenne?

Last edited:
CBS in denver will grant waivers with no questions asked (at least they did in my case). i just called directTV and they took care of the requests for me ... next thing i know, i got a letter saying "you have been granted access to receive channel 81" or something like that.

not sure about fox as i could pull that in in HD OTA without even using rabbit ears!!

i heard a rumor once that if you can't even pull in analog signals... they have to grant you a waiver. can you get the analog signal? I hear they can come out and test -- but it costs you $200 or so if you're wrong. this entire statement could be false though, it's just what i heard once.

Success... It's a done deal!!

Hi All, just a quick update here:

I set up my HR10-250 yesterday (Mon., 1/30), and when I called D* to activate, to my TOTAL SURPRISE the CSR told me that the HD West coast waivers I had requested last Fri. were approved and in place!!! This after being told the process would take up to 45 days and most likely I would still be turned down. And I was all ready to go to war with the local Denver stations... boy am I relieved, I can put the "guns & ammo" away!:D

Looks like the Super Bowl in Hi Def... YES!! :up :up

Wirelezz said:
Thanks for your response Adent. "Moving" my service address is not an option as I'm sure by doing so I would lose the East-West SD waivers I currently have. They're grandfathered in and once they're gone there's no getting them back. Hypothetically, wouldn't the D* CSR flinch if I requested a "move" to a S. CA service address while keeping my billing in CO? (my D* bill is auto drafted from my bank account). It may be inappropriate to ask here, but what does one do, just grab an address at random from the phone book? :>)
If you take your dish on vacation (say your vacation house has a dish pre-set up, just plug it in to dish and power) you are technically supposed to call DTV and tell them your new service address. RV's and CDL holders are treated differently if you send it the proper paperwork.
I'm new to this so could you eleaborate somwhat on this? What exactly is the digital signal test?
From FCC Summary Document: (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/shvera.doc )
A third alternative, created by the 2004 SHVERA statute, will allow for signal testing at your household to determine if you are “served” by a digital signal over-the-air. In some cases, if you are shown to be “unserved,” you would be eligible for distant digital signals, provided you subscribe to local-into-local analog service if it is offered. However, this digital testing option is not available until April 30, 2006 (in the top 100 television markets) and July 15, 2007 (in all other television markets). In certain situations, a station may qualify for a waiver of this testing requirement for a limited period of time. In addition, your satellite carrier may refuse to arrange for the digital signal test, and in that case, you may arrange and pay for a test yourself, under the supervision of the satellite carrier. Your satellite carrier can tell you whether you are in a top 100 market and whether it will help you to arrange for a digital signal test once the testing provisions take effect in 2006 or 2007.

What are COS or CYS grade B signals? Not in the SatGuys glossery...
COS = Colorado Springs. CYS = Cheyenne, Wyoming
Grade B is FCC definition of acceptable signal 50% of the time. (Typ unwatchable by most people's standards). Grade A is better and usually watchable by humans.

Can you tell me what stations are in Cheyenne (station identifiers, CH #'s etc.). Would I have to "move" my service address to WY to get waivers from Cheyenne?
No. Any station that thinks you are in their predicted Grade B contour may require a waiver. So if I live in Castle Rock I would most likely technically need a waiver from the Denver CBS station AND a waiver from the COS CBS station to get the national feed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)