Deron Williams to play in Turkey if there is a NBA lockout?!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
...AND the team owner want's Kobe TOO!

New Jersey Nets guard Deron Williams is planning to play in Turkey in the fall if the NBA lockout has not yet been settled.

Scott Van Pelt

ESPN's Michael Wilbon talks about the possibility of NBA players going oversees during the lockout. Plus, Wilbon says this lockout could be worse than 1999.

Williams' newly hired agent, Jeff Schwartz, on Thursday confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher a report from the Turkey-based sports outlet NTV Spor that the All-Star point guard has struck an agreement in principal to play for Besiktas, which is the club that briefly employed Allen Iverson last season.

Williams' deal will be for one year and $5 million, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Besiktas coach Ergin Ataman told the New York Times that the team also has an agreement with Atlanta Hawks center Zaza Pachulia.

Ataman told the newpaper Besiktas isn't done chasing NBA players.

"If there's a possibility, we'll talk with Kobe (Bryant) if he'd like to play in Europe with Deron and with other guys to play we can talk with him," Ataman said. "If Kobe would like to play with us, we will also contact his agent and maybe with him."

Ataman told the newspaper that Williams' deal would become official in the next 24 hours and that the club's president, Seref Yalcin, would join Williams for a news conference in the United States next week. Besiktas officials held a similar news conference in New York when they signed Iverson last October.

Sources say Williams would not be required to report to the Turkish club before the end of August or early September and that his deal with them would include an immediate out that allows him to return to the NBA as soon as the work stoppage ends.

Agent: Deron Williams of New Jersey Nets to play in Turkey if lockout continues - ESPN New York

Don't blame him for going somewhere else to play. Might as well keep in shape while they don't have an NBA season.

Don't blame him for going somewhere else to play. Might as well keep in shape while they don't have an NBA season.

He has nothing to lose. He is more than likely opting out after this coming season and he gets to improve his craft. You are not gonna see alot of the big names do this because if something happens to them, the big contract they signed is dead and done. But do not be surprised to see alot of the mid range players do the same thing. ESPECIALLY if the money is comparable to one season and IF they are to leave once the lockout is over with.

A number of NHL players did this during their lockout season in 2005. There were star-studded teams in the Russian KHL league.

Sandra

Hmmm.....

..... I am wondering just how serious they really are...

Dwight Howard strongly considering career overseas
By GEORGE HENRY, Associated Press
11 hours, 21 minutes ago

FAIRBURN, Ga. (AP)—Dwight Howard’s(notes) frustration with the NBA lockout has caused the Orlando Magic star to strongly consider playing overseas.

In an exclusive interview Sunday with The Associated Press, Howard said he would consider playing in China or Europe if the NBA lockout doesn’t end.

Howard, a five-time All-Star who led Orlando to the NBA finals in 2009, stopped short of saying he’s in contract discussions with teams overseas.

“I’m not at liberty to talk about it,” he said, “but there’s a huge possibility about me going to China or me going overseas to play basketball.”

New Jersey guard Deron Williams(notes) said recently after signing with a team in Turkey that Howard could become a worldwide star if he played in China.

Howard, who hosted a celebrity basketball game Sunday at Langston Hughes High School to raise money for his charity, didn’t disagree.

“The big thing for me is not giving too much information away, but at the same time I still need to let people know what’s going on with me,” Howard said. “I don’t want to just sit over here and forget about basketball and waste, you know, opportunities for me to get better.”

Howard wasn’t interested in discussing his potential free agency at the end of next season. Along with Williams and New Orleans guard Chris Paul(notes), Howard is a marquee name for potential free agency in 2012.

Dwight Howard strongly considering career overseas - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

He has nothing to lose. He is more than likely opting out after this coming season and he gets to improve his craft. You are not gonna see alot of the big names do this because if something happens to them, the big contract they signed is dead and done. But do not be surprised to see alot of the mid range players do the same thing. ESPECIALLY if the money is comparable to one season and IF they are to leave once the lockout is over with.

While I personally have no issue with him or other players playing overseas during the lockout, you can't ignore the risk. He DOES have something to lose. What if he get's seriously injured next year in Turkey? So bad so that it hurts his future earnings in the NBA?

While I personally have no issue with him or other players playing overseas during the lockout, you can't ignore the risk. He DOES have something to lose. What if he get's seriously injured next year in Turkey? So bad so that it hurts his future earnings in the NBA?
That's why I'm surprised that these big names are even thinking about doing this. Unless, they're trying to use this as leverage... ;)

A guy with a HUGE gauranteed contract...absolutely. Someone who does not, is taking a risk no higher than getting injured in the NBA.

i hope they do it. most of the big stars anyway. leverage is good to move the negotiations along

Insurance. He'll probably have an insurance policy to protect himself incase he does suffer a career ending injury.

It's gotta be because those big names shouldn't need the money they would make in Europe. To me, it's not worth the risk to their NBA careers. Now, for the guys making the NBA minimum, that's another story...

That is why I sorta doubt any big names will go...but I would not doubt alot of mid range guys. Hell, my buddy who is currently covering Fox Sports NY told me there is already a over/under in Vegas on it. LOL! At the current rate, he has heard the OVER is at 30.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts