Detroit Tigers 2008

Impressive stretch of pitching. We wouldn't know anything about that in Detroit. OK, I know that Robertson and Verlander have turned in consecutive good performances, but we still lost both games. Verlander now has lost more games this season, than last year. PATHETIC.

To expand the above list, Sabathia pitched last night to the tune of 9IP, 5H, 0ER and 11K.

This now makes 43.1 consecutive innings that our starters haven't surrendered a single run and thru 48.1 innings, they've only given up 1 run!! This has to be approaching some sort of record! :eek:

Fri (9h): Sabathia- 7IP, 1ER
Sat(10th): Lafey- 7IP, 0ER
Mon (Day-12th): Carmona- 9IP, 0ER
Mon (Night-12th): Lee- 9IP, 0ER
Tue (13th): Byrd- 7.1IP, 0ER
Wed (14th): Sabathia- 9IP, 0ER

Fri (9h): Sabathia- 7IP, 1ER
Sat(10th): Lafey- 7IP, 0ER
Mon (Day-12th): Carmona- 9IP, 0ER
Mon (Night-12th): Lee- 9IP, 0ER
Tue (13th): Byrd- 7.1IP, 0ER
Wed (14th): Sabathia- 9IP, 0ER
*Thur (15th): Laffey- 7IP, 0ER (*The streak actually ended yesterday during this outing due to an unearned run allowed.)

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Indians' starters ran out of zeros.

The starting rotation's consecutive scoreless streak ended at 44 1-3 innings on a throwing error Thursday.

Left-hander Aaron Laffey charged Rob Bowen's weak grounder in the second inning and threw it out of first baseman Ryan Garko's reach and into right field, allowing Bobby Crosby to score from second.

The streak started May 9 and was the club's longest since starters Bob Lemon, Gene Bearden, Sam Zoldak and Satchel Paige tossed 47 scoreless innings in August 1948 — all threw complete game shutouts.

It was the longest by a major league team in one season since a 54-inning streak by Baltimore's starters from Sept. 1-7, 1974, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

BTW, Cleveland (22-19) now has sole possession of 1st place in the AL Central and is 6 games ahead of Detroit. (16-25).

Who would've thought that 40 games (25%) through the '08 season, both the Tigers and the Yankees would be in last place in their respective divisions?!

BTW, Cleveland (22-19) now has sole possession of 1st place in the AL Central and is 6 games ahead of Detroit. (16-25).

Who would've thought that 40 games (25%) through the '08 season, both the Tigers and the Yankees would be in last place in their respective divisions?!

But they are still in it, only 5-6 games back, amazing, they would look REALLY sorry if ANY other team in the division has decided to play in April and May.

btw, It's NO LONGER EARLY :eek:

Jimbo

Galarraga was impressive yesterday (one hit pitching, again). I still think it would be a mistake taking him out of the starting rotation at this point. (He has been the best starter this season). Willis had a good game down in Toledo, and may be ready for a return. With the exception of Rogers, the starter had a good week, but we only have one win to show for it. Verlander, Roberstson, Bonderman, all pitched well, but we lost, (2 of the games due to defensive lapses). This has got to turn around soon, or it will be a long summer.

Interesting Tiger stat.....

Yesterday's 3-2 win over Arizona was the FIRST game this year that the Tiger's have won a game without scoring at least 5 runs or more!

Interesting Tiger stat.....

Yesterday's 3-2 win over Arizona was the FIRST game this year that the Tiger's have won a game without scoring at least 5 runs or more!

I thought I had heard that it was 4 Runs or more, but none the less, it shows how poor the pitching has been over the long haul.

Jimbo

6 games isn't insurmountable, but I definetly would rather be 6 games ahead.

I thought I had heard that it was 4 Runs or more, but none the less, it shows how poor the pitching has been over the long haul.

Jimbo

Nope, it's 5 runs or more. Check their schedule and game results so far this season.

Personally, I found that stat mind boggling. If the Tiger's do have postseason hopes, how can they expect to win a game with that horrid staff?

Verlander may be finding his form. Even in victory this team looks crappy. Can you believe Jones actually got a save last night? 12 - 4 lead evaporated with the bullpen. They just can't seem to get everything working together even for one game.

We shall see with Verlander, he had a good game awhile back and then went back to struggling, I'm hoping he can put several like last night together and get on a roll, he looked like the Verlander of old last night.

Tigers win 2 in a row for what, the 2nd time this year ?

Unfortunatly the top team in the division, at the moment Chicago is winning also, so the Tigers are not picking up and ground.

Paul,
fwiw, the new John Smoltz looked pretty good again tonight.
Jir Jurjinns went 7 innings , 5 hits and gave up 1 run and won big, he's 5-3 now.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Tigers sweep the Mariners ....

Three in a row for the Tigers, WOW .....

Lets see what happens when they play Minnesota this weekend.
IF the pitching continues to improve, as it has in the last week, maybe they can hang in there.
Problem is, the teams above them have been winning or swapping spots in the standings day to day, so the Tigers have not gained any ground.

IF they get this figured out, it will still be a long climb back to the top ...

Jimbo

I know this has been a predominately Tigers/Indians thread, but as a White Sox fan, I would like to jump in. Although we just swept the Indians and are on an 8 game winning streak at the moment, I still don't feel anyone is really getting a firm grasp on the division. The Indians pitching looks very good, and the Tigers might be showing signs of life.

Who ever would have thought Carlos Quentin would be doing the things he has done this far. White Sox fans all over were puzzled, if not pissed, that Kenny Williams went after this guy instead of guys like Rowand, A. Jones, and Hunter. Right now, he is probably doing better than all three combined.

Well the Tigers but up some runs against the seattle.....Lets see what they can do against the twins!!!

DanLee;1375915[B said:
]I know this has been a predominately Tigers/Indians thread, but as a White Sox fan,[/B] I would like to jump in. Although we just swept the Indians and are on an 8 game winning streak at the moment, I still don't feel anyone is really getting a firm grasp on the division. The Indians pitching looks very good, and the Tigers might be showing signs of life.

Who ever would have thought Carlos Quentin would be doing the things he has done this far. White Sox fans all over were puzzled, if not pissed, that Kenny Williams went after this guy instead of guys like Rowand, A. Jones, and Hunter. Right now, he is probably doing better than all three combined.

Only because we're the only ones writing. Check the post #1, I invited the whole division. Have fun here, all are welcome. Strange division this year, every 3 games, hte order changes. Detroit and Cleveland are not playing up to expectations, that's for sure.

Well the Tigers but up some runs against the seattle.....Lets see what they can do against the twins!!!

Didn't we see this a month ago against Texas, the Tigers exploded all over them too, and then went back to sleep. This weekend series will tell us if they're back on track, or not. In the meantime I'm not getting too excited.

Behold, the Worst Sportscaster Ever!

Patriots/Colts- One Year Later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts