Detroit Tigers 2008

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think it must be some consolation for this season that the Tigers can play spoiler (i.e. beat the White Sox in a few hours and knock them out of playoff contention).

Bringing back Leyland, good move! It certainly wasn't the Leyland clones (Leyland RF, Leyland CF, Leyland LF, Leyland 1B, Leyland 2B, Leyland SS, Leyland 3B, Leyland C, Leyland SP and Leyland RP) that underperformed for Detroit this year so I don't see how you can blame the manager for the performance of others.

Pitching coach Chuck Hernandez was fired yesterday. Also Leyland announces that Carlos Guillen will play LF next season, and will move Brandon Inge back to 3B. Three moves that I think should have been done mid-season. The hitting coach should also be fired, but it's not my team.

Pitching coach Chuck Hernandez was fired yesterday. Also Leyland announces that Carlos Guillen will play LF next season, and will move Brandon Inge back to 3B. Three moves that I think should have been done mid-season. The hitting coach should also be fired, but it's not my team.

Between Guillen, Inge, and Cabrera the Tigers have a lot of interchangeable parts.

Final Grades

It's time to evaluate this mess. First, let me say that this season was harder to endure then the 119 loss season of 2003. At least we knew that team was going to be bad. But this team was expected to be a contender, and failed miserably. Again injuries to the pitching staff contributed greatly, but that doesn't explain the whole story here. The pitchers that were healthy were just as responsible for this mess.

That said , let's got on with this.

PITCHERS

Justin Verlander Grade-D
Really, Justin? What the hell happened? You were supposed to be the ace of this staff. Seems like you spent most of the season blaming the umps. Truth is that you lost some velocity, and some of your control. Hitters spent all season waiting on that fastball to rise in the strike zone, and then teed you up. Get your head together this off- season, and hopefully this season was just an aberration and not a new norm.

Kenny Rogers Grade-D
Thanks for 2006 Kenny. Enjoy retirement. Your arm is spent.

Nate Robertson Grade-F
If the Tigers had other options, you would have hit the bullpen sooner, (or even AAA). Needs to rethink his conditioning during the off season. Better find your control, or you wont be a Tiger next season. Not the pitcher he was from '03 through'06

Armando Galarraga Grade-B
What a pleasant surprise this castoff from Texas turned out to be. A rookie shouldn't be the best starter in your rotation, but he was. Doesn't say much for the rest of the starters, does it? Let's see if he can do it again next season. Would have had 17 wins if we had a bullpen.

Dontrelle Willis Grade-F
A complete disaster. Better play winter ball, and find his groove again, or he could be looking for a new career. What the hell happened to this kid? Confidence is shot.

Zach Minor Grade-C
Fits in better as a starter, than in the bullpen. He really deserves a chance to be in the rotation next season.

BULLPEN

I'm just going to give the whole bullpen a "F". No point in singling out anyone, they all sucked individually and collectively. Hopefully most of them won't be back. I'm starting to become concerned about Zumaya. He sure is injury prone, and he may never be the pitcher he was in '06 again. I hope I'm wrong. If he had more pitches, I would give him a look for the rotation. Good-bye Todd "roller caster" Jones. Despite that everybody cringed every time your name was announced, you are the Tigers all-time saves leader, and I applaud what you accomplished here, no matter how exciting you made it. Never a dull moment when you pitched. All told, you only blew 16 saves in your career as a Tiger. Hard to believe. Enjoy your retirement.

INFIELD

Miguel Cabrera Grade-A
Everything he was advertised to be. Great numbers despite going 0-for-April. Would have been the league MVP if the Tigers were contenders. Starting to look comfortable at 1st base. Will only get better next season- at bat and in the field.

Placido Polanco Grade-A
No holes in his game, and along with Granderson, the only great fielders on this team. Top ten hitter, best fielding 2nd baseman in the league.

Edgar Renteria Grade-D
Can you spell "buyout'? He may be resigned at a lower amount, but only if we can't finds anybody else. No bat, and his fielding range has been severely diminished. Same thing they said about Guillen after last season. This disaster is up there with the Hindenberg. Bye-bye.

Carlos Guillen Grade-C
Did everything that Leyland asked of him. Play first, sure. Play third, sure. Problem is that he didn't do either very well. Glove has become a liability. Now Leyland is asking him to move to LF next season. Meanwhile, his hitting slipped quite a bit this last season. Hopefully that was just a fluke, and not the sign of things to come. Major trade bait right now.

Brandon Inge Grade-D
Can't hit, and not much of a catcher either, but the boy can play the sh*t out of 3rd Base, which is where he'll be next season. His defense at third was sorely missed, and big part of the reason why the Tigers sucked this year. With all the bats we have here, surely we can afford to keep this glove in the lineup.

Ramon Santiago Grade-B
Should have been given a look at SS, especially in view of Renteria's woeful play. Great glove, but I don't think that Leyland has any faith in this kid's batting ability. Would have been nice to find out for sure. Did what was asked of him, really deserves a serious look at SS next spring. Defense does matter, Jim.

Dusty Ryan Grade-Inc.
Not enough playing time to seriously evaluate him. Could make the team as a backup catcher next season. His name sounds like a baseball player, though.

Dane Sardinha Grade-Inc.
Didn't see a lot of playing time either, but his hitting didn't warrant the playing time. Probably won't be here next season.

Part Two, tomorrow.

Last edited:
Paul said:
Edgar RenteriaGrade-D
Can you spell "buyout'? He may be resigned at a lower amount, but only if we can't finds anybody else. No bat, and his fielding range has been severely diminished. Same thing they said about Guillen after last season. This disaster is up there with the Hindenberg. Bye-bye.

If there were such a stat kept, Edgar would be the career leader in "buyouts".

Other than his World Series winning hit in 1997, has he been a good player, decent, or mediocre?

I think Edgar been a good player in his career, but his better days are well behind him.

When the Red Sox sent him to the Braves following the 2005 season, the Sox had to eat most of Edgar's contract (in fact they STILL may be paying him).

When the Red Sox ever got Andy Marte (who at the time was considered to be a top 5 basebal prospect) for Renteria, I was tickled pink.

Funny how this guy just can't seem to play in the American League. Wasn't it you that commented earlier in the year about his season in Boston? Sure was "on the money."

Paul,
I wish I could take credit for that, but it wasn't me.

In fact, I thought it was a GREAT move by the Tigers (one of many I thought would make them World Series champions this year), because I thought Edgar's one season in Boston was an aberration. In '06 and '07, while he may not have been the player he was in Florida and St. Louis, I thought Renteria was productive.

BTW Paul, I understand this season was VERY disappointing, but you're bringing back a pretty good core next year, so keep your chin up. :)

Will Bonderman be available to pitch in '09? IMO, that's a huge factor for the Tigers.

Paul,
I wish I could take credit for that, but it wasn't me.

In fact, I thought it was a GREAT move by the Tigers (one of many I thought would make them World Series champions this year), because I thought Edgar's one season in Boston was an aberration. In '06 and '07, while he may not have been the player he was in Florida and St. Louis, I thought Renteria was productive.

BTW Paul, I understand this season was VERY disappointing, but you're bringing back a pretty good core next year, so keep your chin up. :)

Will Bonderman be available to pitch in '09? IMO, that's a huge factor for the Tigers.

I'll be addressing the rest tomorrow. Outfield, management, the future, and what I would have, and would do. (Like anybody cares!) It's not all doom and gloom.

It's time to evaluate this mess. First, let me say that this season was harder to endure then the 119 loss season of 2003. At least we knew that team was going to be bad. But this team was expected to be a contender, and failed miserably. Again injuries to the pitching staff contributed greatly, but that doesn't explain the whole story here. The pitchers that were healthy were just as responsible for this mess.

PITCHERS

Justin Verlander Grade-D
Really, Justin? What the hell happened? You were supposed to be the ace of this staff. Seems like you spent most of the season blaming the umps. Truth is that you lost some velocity, and some of your control. Hitters spent all season waiting on that fastball to rise in the strike zone, and then teed you up. Get your head together this off- season, and hopefully this season was just an aberration and not a new norm.

Kenny Rogers Grade-D

Nate Robertson Grade-F
If the Tigers had other options, you would have hit the bullpen sooner, (or even AAA). Needs to rethink his conditioning during the off season. Better find your control, or you wont be a Tiger next season. Not the pitcher he was from '03 through'06

What a pleasant surprise this castoff from Texas turned out to be. A rookie shouldn't be the best starter in your rotation, but he was. Doesn't say much for the rest of the starters, does it? Let's see if he can do it again next season. Would have had 17 wins if we had a bullpen.

Dontrelle Willis Grade-F
A complete disaster. Better play winter ball, and find his groove again, or he could be looking for a new career. What the hell happened to this kid? Confidence is shot.

Zach Minor Grade-C
Fits in better as a starter, than in the bullpen. He really deserves a chance to be in the rotation next season.

BULLPEN

I'm just going to give the whole bullpen a "F". No point in singling out anyone, they all sucked individually and collectively. Hopefully most of them won't be back. I'm starting to become concerned about Zumaya. He sure is injury prone, and he may never be the pitcher he was in '06 again. I hope I'm wrong. If he had more pitches, I would give him a look for the rotation. Good-bye Todd "roller caster" Jones. Despite that everybody cringed every time your name was announced, you are the Tigers all-time saves leader, and I applaud what you accomplished here, no matter how exciting you made it. Never a dull moment when you pitched. All told, you only blew 16 saves in your career as a Tiger. Hard to believe. Enjoy your retirement.

INFIELD

Miguel Cabrera Grade-A
Everything he was advertised to be. Great numbers despite going 0-for-April. Would have been the league MVP if the Tigers were contenders. Starting to look comfortable at 1st base. Will only get better next season- at bat and in the field.

Placido Polanco Grade-A
No holes in his game, and along with Granderson, the only great fielders on this team. Top ten hitter, best fielding 2nd baseman in the league.

Edgar Renteria Grade-D

Carlos Guillen Grade-C
Did everything that Leyland asked of him. Play first, sure. Play third, sure. Problem is that he didn't do either very well. Glove has become a liability. Now Leyland is asking him to move to LF next season. Meanwhile, his hitting slipped quite a bit this last season. Hopefully that was just a fluke, and not the sign of things to come. Major trade bait right now.

Brandon Inge Grade-D
Can't hit, and not much of a catcher either, but the boy can play the sh*t out of 3rd Base, which is where he'll be next season. His defense at third was sorely missed, and big part of the reason why the Tigers sucked this year. With all the bats we have here, surely we can afford to keep this glove in the lineup.

Ramon Santiago Grade-B
Should have been given a look at SS, especially in view of Renteria's woeful play. Great glove, but I don't think that Leyland has any faith in this kid's batting ability. Would have been nice to find out for sure. Did what was asked of him, really deserves a serious look at SS next spring. Defense does matter, Jim.

Dusty Ryan Grade-Inc.
Not enough playing time to seriously evaluate him. Could make the team as a backup catcher next season. His name sounds like a baseball player, though.

Dane Sardinha Grade-Inc.
Didn't see a lot of playing time either, but his hitting didn't warrant the playing time. Probably won't be here next season.

Part Two, tomorrow.

I take it, Sheff will be part of "Part 2"?

Good analysis btw Paul. :up

I'm saving the best for last. Trust me, Leyland's and Sheff's grades are not nice.

I got a kick out of one of Leylands statements regarding the coaches that got fired. Something to the effect of, if we are in this boat next year....It will be me. Should be a bit of an intresting off season.

I think it must be some consolation for this season that the Tigers can play spoiler (i.e. beat the White Sox in a few hours and knock them out of playoff contention).

Bringing back Leyland, good move! It certainly wasn't the Leyland clones (Leyland RF, Leyland CF, Leyland LF, Leyland 1B, Leyland 2B, Leyland SS, Leyland 3B, Leyland C, Leyland SP and Leyland RP) that underperformed for Detroit this year so I don't see how you can blame the manager for the performance of others.

Skysurfer,
1B was one of the bright spots for the Tigers with Migel Cabrera playing well once he got comfortable at 1B.
2B also is in good hands with Palonco, as is RF with Ordonez and CF with Granderson. I think thats about all I would keep as far as every day players.

Jimbo

Guillen to LF, thats interesting, can he play regularly on his bad knees in the outfield ?

Jimbo

PITCHERS

Justin Verlander Grade-D

Kenny Rogers Grade-D

Nate Robertson Grade-F

Dontrelle Willis Grade-F

Zach Minor Grade-C

BULLPEN

INFIELD

Miguel Cabrera Grade-A

Placido Polanco Grade-A

Edgar Renteria Grade-D

Carlos Guillen Grade-C

Brandon Inge Grade-D

Ramon Santiago Grade-B

Dusty Ryan Grade-Inc.

Dane Sardinha Grade-Inc.

Part Two, tomorrow.

Ok, Paul, If I can figure out how to do this, I'm gonna add my comment to your assesments, if thats OK with you...
To late, here we go.

Verlander - Agree with your assesment, Verlander is not yet into his prime, many good to great years ahead for him. He's only 25.
Keep the faith Paul.

Rogers - Should be retired, hopefully will be by spring training, I think he would be an excellent Pitching Coach.

Robertson - Agree with your assesment, if we can get someone better, trade him or move him to AAA.

Galarraga, I would even go to an A.
As for your comment about a rookie being the best pitcher in the rotation...
I believe Verlander was in the same situation a few short years ago.

Dontrelle Willis, incomplete
He was not here long enough to get a grade, he was horrible when he was here, been working on changing pitching motion for most of the summer (from what I read). I will give him next year to see if he can find his game next year, at least the first few months.

Zack Minor, C
Lacks consistancy, he;s good for 2-3 weeks at a time and then he's bad again, maybe bouncing from the rotation to bullpen hasn't helped... IF he starts and pitches well , he'll stay there.

BullPen ...... :down:down:down:down:down

In '06, there was no better .....
Rodney can be traded, Zumaya needs to prove he can get it done over the long haul. There was talk at the some point in the year that the Tigers were talking about making him back into a Starter next year, He was quite a good Starter in Toledo with Verlander ..... Yes we had BOTH of them throwing smoke down in Toledo.... Tigers had a good enough Rotation at the time Zumaya came up so they put him in the bullpen, I would like to see him close games IF he can get the mentality to do it.
Bobby Seau has been OK, the rest can go or find work else where.

Position players:
Infield:

1B Migel Cabrera A+
He is what we thought he would be. :)
Once he found a home at 1B started to get comfortable and has not looked back, took about a month or so to get rolling, hopefully a better start next year.
Definatly MVP material.

2B Palonco B
Very good all around player, excellent defensivley , very good contact hitter, will hit for avg. reliable , need a bunt or a hit in run, he's your guy.

3B Not sure who's there.
Guillen, good stick, I think his glove is better than Paul gives him credit for, bad knees moved him from SS where he was excellent in his time, moved to 1B, unsuccessful, moved to 3B, I thought he did above avg. except he's compared to a guy with a better glove..... Moving again, to LF, if the knees hold out, it will be an improvement.

Brandon Inge will be back at 3B , all Glove, Gold Glove at that, but NO stick.

SS Renteria, wants to come back, Tigers said today they will NOT be bringing him back.
Got a SS, we need one ... personally I don't think Santiago is the long term answer, another good glove , less stick, we already have one in the line up.
Wasn't Santiago the same SS that was playing there when Tram was here ?

Outfield:
RF Magglio Ordonez
Tigers are set in RF, Ordonez came back from a MVP type year and a batting Champ to follow it up with a very solid + .320 + ba and 100 RBI, plays a solid RF and has a good arm.

LF Marcus Thames
avg to below avg LF'er, very streaky hitter, can carry a team for a week, or look pathetic as well, outside of Cabrara, the teams best HR threat
If Guillen plays LF next year it will be an all around improvement, but I hope Thames plays DH

CF Curtis Granderson
Tigers are set for years ...
Plays ALL STAR CF.
Need to be more consistant at the plate.
When he gets it going, theres no one more exciting. Grady Sizemore and Curtis are the beast CF'ers in the Majors.

DH. Tigers are FULL of them
I think Sheffield is back, if the Tigers can't get rid of him in the offseason. Shef was very good when healthy, but he hasn't been healthy since the WS year.

Matt Joyce should be the platoon RF'er (when Maglio needs a day off) and DH.

Thats the majority of the main guys.

Theres my opinion on many of them, hopefully we have a short winter.

jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)