Detroit Tigers 2008

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Final Grades -Part 2

For those of you who care, Part 1 was posted yesterday.

OUTFIELD

Marcus Thames Grade-B

Like Jimbo said, streaky hitter. Unbelievable 1st half, completely asleep for most of the second half. Major power, still strikes out too much. Needs to make contact more often with men on base. Average glove. Possible trade bait. I would like to see him back as DH/LF. Not an everyday outfielder.

Curtis Granderson Grade-A

Excuse me while I gush awhile. I still say day in-day out, that he is the finest CF in the game. 5 tool player, who improved again this season. I know he had a GREAT season last year, but this year he proved he can hit left handers, also. Missed 16 games in April, and still put up numbers comparable to last season. Also has cut his strike-outs remarkably from 2 seasons ago. Best glove in CF I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot over my 50 years. Should be a #3 hitter, but we don't have anyone this good to lead off. The straw that stirs the drink. Absolutely un-tradeable. He will be a Tiger for as long as he wants to be.

Magglio Ordonez Grade-A-

Another great season, but I gave him the A- because his power numbers were a little down from his career averages. The steadiest and most reliable hitter on this club. Don't look for him to be traded, his salary and age will scare everyone away. That's fine, because I believe trading him would be a serious mistake. Next years line-up looks to be a little less scary on paper, than this season's looked before we actually started playing games, and taking Magg's bat out of the line-up just leaves a major hole that no one on this roster can fill. Would have been an All Star if it weren't for a mid-season injury.

Matt Joyce Grade-B

This kid came on like gang-busters in July and then tailed off. But he is a left handed bat with power, who will eventually inhabit either LF or RF as a starter. Good bat, with power. Understands how to play the game. Clutch hitter. I like this kid a lot.

Ryan RaburnGrade-C

Capable of playing outfield (where he is an outstanding glove), and infield (where he is not as good). Trade bait also, but I'd like to see him stay. This kind of versatility is hard to come by. Could start for another team.

Gary Sheffield] Grade-D
Supposedly limited by a shoulder injury, not sure if I'm buying all of that. I think his problem is that he can't make contact as he once did. Better in the second half than in the first by a long shot, but .220 for $14M is not going to cut it with me. Double plays galore when we needed just a base hit. Spent the last month swinging for his 500th, typical of his selfishness,(or so I'm told).
Now here's the rub; should have been benched, but wasn't for reasons I'll explain in Leyland's grading. He will probably be back next season, because his contract has one year (actually two) too many in it. ($14M next season). That, combined with his age, make him virtually untradeable. Illitch will not be eating this contract either, so we're stuck with him. Personally, I think he's done, but since he will be back, I'm hoping I'm wrong about him. I will add, that in '06 I thought he was the MVP of the Tigers. If he could return to that form, the Tiger's line-up would be a pitchers nightmare. I just can't see that happening though.

MANAGEMENT

Jim Leyland Grade-D

This grade may shock some of you. Let me explain this for you.
Leyland was a little too bullheaded and loyal this year. Too loyal to players he likes. Renteria and Sheffield should have spent most of the season on the bench when it became their abilities had left them. But Leyland's loyalty to his former Marlins wouldn't let him. Chuck Fernandez and the bulllpen coach wouldn't have been fired, if it weren't for Dombrowski's insistence. I don't believe for a minute that this a "mutual decision". Leyland is loyal to his coaches to the point of blindness. A good pitching coach should have, and would have straightened out some of the pitching problems. I also want to fault his handling of the pitching this year. he knew the bullpen sucked eggs, yet he routinely pulled starters at 100 pitches. (Jim, a couple of decades ago there was this thing called "complete games.") Nobodys arm is going to fall off from pitching another inning or two, especially with the way the bullpen was giving away wins. I'm also going to fault him for letting this season get away. He should have been a little more proactive in this regard. This team just looked like they came to accept losing in the last 2 months. He needs to light a fire under their asses next season. That said, I still think he is the guy to do just that.

Jim Dombrowski Grade-C

Dombrowski will be the first to admit he screwed up, and he did. I'm giving him an average grade because I thought on paper that his off season moves looked great. It was not his fault these players didn't deliver. The Renteria trade was a waste of two fine prospects, especially in light of out pitching woes. Jurrjens would have been a lot of help. Dontrelle may or may not be a bust, we'll know next season. On the other hand MIGUEL CABRERA is a Tiger! Jacque Jones was a bust, and I'm sure he would like another take on Robertson's signing. I understand the Rodriguez trade, we needed bullpen help and Pudge was phoning it in anyhow. But it didn't work out, and he made the trade. Not one of his better moves. Despite all that, he has a big job in front of him this winter, and I can't think of a better guy for the job.

THIS WINTER

We need help at SS and catching. Nobody we have right now appears to be the answer. Obviously we need a stopper and middle relief help. Our salary numbers will prevent them from going after K-Rod, so he will look elsewhere. Rodney will go back to being a set-up guy. A role he's more suited for. Now for the if's.
IF, the pitching staff recovers form, (it can happen, this years AL Cy Young winner was in AAA last season, and the White Sox are winning with pretty much the same staff from their championship team), we could have a pretty decent rotation. Freddy Garcia and Jeremy Bonderman have to overcome arm surgery. IF Dontrelle Willis finds home plate again (he is a former Cy Young winner). IF Verlander returns to form. Now throw in Galarraga, and this isn't a bad list too pick from. And then there still is Robertson, Zumaya and Miner. And lets not forget about Porticello. I know, lots of IF"s, but that is what pitching is, a bunch of IF's. The thing is, that all of these guys have displayed major league talent for some stretch of their careers. In 2006, it all came together. It could happen again. Everybody in out division has struggled with pitching the same way we have over the last few seasons.
As for the bullpen, well there will be some new arms there. Guaranteed. They need somebody who can lefthanded hitting out. Seay was more effective against righties than lefties. Rodney and Zumaya (if he's not moved to the starting rotation), need to be 100% healthy, and that would solve a big percentage of the problem. Dombrowski will be in the market for a new stopper. I also won't be surprised to see a everyday starter traded to fill this need.

THE BOTTOM LINE

This season was a disaster, sh*t happens. Injuries and below average performances from the pitching staff doomed this season. The core is still pretty good, and that gives hope for a rebound. There will be some changes, maybe even one or two that will surprise us.

I'd hate to be in Dombrowski's shoes right now. He's got his work cut out for him.

Paul,
first of all, GREAT job on the season recap! :up

There's a rumor floating around here that the Red Sox and Tigers might be interested in swapping high salary busts, Julio Lugo for Dontrelle Willis. Have you heard anything about this in Motown?

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

Paul,

What an exhaustive, heartfelt end of season report card on your beloved Tigers! I am humbled and impressed by your lifetime passion. :wave:bow

P.S. I agree, if Granderson were on my team I'd be giddy with delight for years to come. He is not only one special player but one very special young man.

Paul,
first of all, GREAT job on the season recap! :up

There's a rumor floating around here that the Red Sox and Tigers might be interested in swapping high salary busts, Julio Lugo for Dontrelle Willis. Have you heard anything about this in Motown?

Jimbo brought this to my attention also. I scoured the local papers , but nobody has said anything yet. Might not be a bad idea, all though I don't know much about Lugo. Maybe you can fill me in on this guy. I say it might not be a bad idea because, sometimes a change of teams helps a player "find himself". Personally I think Willis's problems come from the weight of the contract that Dombrowski prematurely bestowed on him. I really believe he just lost his confidence. His arm seems to be fine, he just can't find the plate anymore.

Thank you everybody who took the time to read my report. Feel free to disagree or agree in print here. I'm open to discussion about my opinions.

Part Three - Addendum

DEFENSE

Something I skipped over earlier.
One of the big reasons, (after pitching), that we were so successful in '06 was defense. This past season was an example of giving away 4 outs an inning. The left side of the infield was terrible. Renteria showed just a little more range than Guillen did the season past. And lets face it, Guillen isn't anywhere as good as Brandon Inge was at third. He was good, but not great. Given Renteria's shortcomings in the field and more importantly at bat, (He only had 5 extra-base hits through June!), I was wondering why Leyland just didn't move Guillen back to SS. Renteria was not that much better. We also went through some growing pains at first base with Cabrera, all though I thought by the end of the season he was showing signs of getting the handle there. (How come nobody thought of moving him to first earlier in his career?)
I thought the outfield was fine defensively. there is no better in CF, than Granderson. That kid covers a lot of ground, making up for any shortcomings in range that we have in RF. Maggs is a better fielder than he gets credit for, he just can't cover as much ground as he used to. Left field will be in fine hands with Joyce. Thames is average at best. Rayburn is an outstanding glove with an equally impressive arm, which makes him a candidate to replace Maggs someday, providing he shows the hitting ability he showed in '06, again.
That leaves catching. We got problems there. Inge is definitely not the answer there. Dusty Ryan (great baseball name!) has shown some pop in his bat, but needs some experience defensively. I'll be curious to see if he remains with the club next year, or if they send him back to AAA to get more playing time. I say give the kid a shot up here. The pitchers like him, because he presents a big target behind the plate with his glove. Dombrowski will be looking to make a trade for some help, because the time frame to win with this core is now, and not 2010.
The bottom line is that defense is just as important as pitching and hitting, and we went from 3rd in the league in '06 to the bottom tier this season. (14th, I believe).

Pudge Rodriguez Grade-B

First I would like to say that enjoyed watching Pudge the last few seasons, and I believe he ranks among the very best to ever play the game. His coming here opened the gate for all that followed. I would like to say it took some guts to come to a team that just lost 119 games, but the $12M per year probably was the biggest reason. (I'm sure it was at least $4M more a season than anybody else was offering).
In my opinion, my grade is a little generous, but given the lack of talent at this position in MLB, he still stands in the upper tier. BUT, he is nowhere near the catcher he was just a couple of seasons ago. He was not getting to balls in the dirt like he was. His arm though is still respected across the league. Word is that he has changed the way he called games, though. I wouldn't have payed this much mind, but i heard the same thing coming from the Yankee's also. He's calling for more fastballs than usual, because he can't get in front of bad breaking balls like he used to. This would correspond with my impressions.
Just the same, thank you Pudge for your seasons here, it was my pleasure to watch you.

Part Three - Addendum

Pudge Rodriguez Grade-B

First I would like to say that enjoyed watching Pudge the last few seasons, and I believe he ranks among the very best to ever play the game. His coming here opened the gate for all that followed. I would like to say it took some guts to come to a team that just lost 119 games, but the $12M per year probably was the biggest reason. (I'm sure it was at least $4M more a season than anybody else was offering).
In my opinion, my grade is a little generous, but given the lack of talent at this position in MLB, he still stands in the upper tier. BUT, he is nowhere near the catcher he was just a couple of seasons ago. He was not getting to balls in the dirt like he was. His arm though is still respected across the league. Word is that he has changed the way he called games, though. I wouldn't have payed this much mind, but i heard the same thing coming from the Yankee's also. He's calling for more fastballs than usual, because he can't get in front of bad breaking balls like he used to. This would correspond with my impressions.
Just the same, thank you Pudge for your seasons here, it was my pleasure to watch you.

I'm not so sure that it was all about the money, I think that he talked long with Mr. Illitch and Dombrowski before signing and verifying that the Tigers would continue to pursue other high quality FA's.

Jimbo

Paul, who's that in your avatar?

That is my youngest son, Chester Edward Wozniak, (named after his grandfathers), I believe he was 2yrs. old when I took that pic. He's 3 1/2 now, and almost 4' tall. I was actually looking for a pic of myself, and trying to figure out how to load it into my avatar, when I somehow got this pic up. Still don't know how I did it. I'm computer illiterate. If I ever figure out what I did I'll change the pics, I have a beautiful, soon- to- be 1 yr. old daughter also. If I can find a pic of me sober (why are there always so many cameras around in the rare moments, when I'm faced?) I'll post it as my avatar. I'm looking for a MICHIGAN emblem, can anybody help me?

A lot of "quiet"monaing (if there is such a thing) coming from Leyland about his contract not getting extended.

A bit disapointed in what I am hearing from him, I guess we will see the "tough" leyland next year???

A lot of "quiet"monaing (if there is such a thing) coming from Leyland about his contract not getting extended.

A bit disapointed in what I am hearing from him, I guess we will see the "tough" leyland next year???

That's what I was talking about. How did this guy let this get away from him last season? We know who's feeling he's talking about: Sheffield, Renteria, and Verlander, for sure. As for his contract, if they come out of the gate looking like a contender, he'll get his extension. If they come out like last season, look for a termination. There is only so much patience involved in a $138M payroll.

Paul,

What an exhaustive, heartfelt end of season report card on your beloved Tigers! I am humbled and impressed by your lifetime passion. :wave:bow

P.S. I agree, if Granderson were on my team I'd be giddy with delight for years to come. He is not only one special player but one very special young man.

The keyword here is "Exhaustive". Sorry for such a wordy essay, believe or not, I actually edited it down from the first draft. Glad you enjoyed it.

11. This was worse than the Lions. At least I expected them to be bad, (come to think of it, the Lions even exceeded my low expectations, in a negative way.) A perfectly good summer down the crapper. It's so much more fun in Detroit when the Tigers are winning. There is a whole different vibe in Detroit, when that happens. '06 was a great summer, and with the off-season acquisitions everybody was looking forward to another great summer. When things are as bad as they are around here, a winning Tigers team takes some of the gloom off of everybody's mind. 1968 rallied a city that was torn apart and burned the summer before. I hate to think what this city would be like if it weren't for the '68 championship.

Please, no jokes about us "burning" the city in 1984. Awh, go ahead, I could use some sh*t's and giggles.

1968 rallied a city that was torn apart and burned the summer before. I hate to think what this city would be like if it weren't for the '68 championship.

Detroit actually came very close to winning a pennant in 1967, the year the city burned.

They could have reasonably won a title the year before.

The '67 riot disrupted the Tigers right in the middle of the season, costing them the one game (actually more) that would have made the difference. They lost the pennant on the last game of the season. A couple of wins in July could have changed everything. Still the most special team in my lifetime, those "Boys of '68".

Rick Knapp hired from the Minnesota Twins to be the new pitching coach of the Tigers. Knapp was a career minor league man, in charge of the minor league pitching development.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts