Detroit Tigers

Tigers afe floundering. This team needs Polanco, Rogers, and Zumaya back. Mosy importantly Rogers, who seemed to provide a calming influence on the pitching staff. Thank God there still is a lot of time left in the schedule to right this ship.

Tigers afe floundering. This team needs Polanco, Rogers, and Zumaya back. Mosy importantly Rogers, who seemed to provide a calming influence on the pitching staff. Thank God there still is a lot of time left in the schedule to right this ship.

Paul, the amount of games left, is dwindling, perticularly when they are not winning series against the teams that they need to.

Zumaya is back tonight, Polanco is tonight or tommorow from last I heard.
NO WORD on Rogers, has anyone heard anything about him at all ?
EDIT: Andrew Miller will be back on Friday.
Now we will see if the Tigers are the team of last and earlier this year, or if this poor play is just the way they will be remembered this year.

Leyland had a small meeting with the team today.

Jimbo

Last edited:
What a great game :):):)

I love well pitched games, both teams had No Hitters going into the 5th ...

Tigers give up 1 hit, Indians only gave up 3, two that were home runs ...

Jirrjens looked great in his second major league game, Carmona looked, well , like Carmona, he has become a VERY good pitcher now that he's a started.

btw, 2-1 Tigers, Zumaya and Rodney did thier thing and Jones closed it out.

Now, like I said last week, Can the Tigers will 2-3 games in a row anymore.

Jimbo

Rogers hopes to back soon, probabily in the next 2 weeks. You want to know what I liked best about last night's game? IT WAS ONLY 2 HOURS LONG! Jurrjens looks to be in the rotation for a while, is Robertsons spot on the line when Roger's returns? Great pitching last night. I hope this is the springboard for a winning streak. Well done guys!

That was a great game last night. It was good to see the energy that Zumaya brought to the team and the fans when he came in.

My wife and I have tickets to the game tonight. This will be the third game that we've attended this season, and it just so happens that Verlander has been starting every time! Hopefully he pitches as well as he did when we saw him against the A's a couple of weeks ago, and not like the 11-1 losing effort we saw against the Twins. Hopefully this weather clears up too!

Paul,
How long till Maybin takes over in Center for Granderson ?

Hopefully soon, and move Granderson to left when Maybin plays.
At least Granderson will be able to handle Left.

Maybin may not be playing much if he does no better in left, the double that Lofton hit, Maybin misplayed and looked like he was not hustling to get back to the ball.

I say sit him till he realizes he's got to play defense to be in the Bigs.

Jimbo

And once again, the Tigers lose when I attend. I think they're 1-6 when I'm at Comerica Park. Verlander was terrible... His fastball never got out of the low 90s and the Indians were all over him. Of course, things didn't get much better when he left the game.

And once again, the Tigers lose when I attend. I think they're 1-6 when I'm at Comerica Park. Verlander was terrible... His fastball never got out of the low 90s and the Indians were all over him. Of course, things didn't get much better when he left the game.

Today they had a fabulous pitched game until Zumaya took over in the 9th, then it all went away.

Robertson 8 2/3rd, 4 hits no runs, what will he do next time out ?

Jimbo

Today they had a fabulous pitched game until Zumaya took over in the 9th, then it all went away.

Robertson 8 2/3rd, 4 hits no runs, what will he do next time out ?

Jimbo

Next time out won't be any easier, against the Yankees.

Seriously, he just came off the DL and was a stud last season. Give the guy a chance. I know it's a really tough time to give him some rope, but he's not going to return to form if he's not in the game.

Without him isn't any better. He's the glue in the bullpen and it's showed during his absence.

Next time out won't be any easier, against the Yankees.

Seriously, he just came off the DL and was a stud last season. Give the guy a chance. I know it's a really tough time to give him some rope, but he's not going to return to form if he's not in the game.

Without him isn't any better. He's the glue in the bullpen and it's showed during his absence.

Oh I don't dispute this at all.
I was just pointing out that Zumaya had bad day and the team lost because of it.
I think he's great and one of my favorites, just didn't want people thinking I won't be objective.

Detroit 's only chance to make the playoffs is to win thier division. I think they are rounding into shape, hopefully it's not too late.
The Tigers have not had a complete line up that they were expecting all year, so it's amazing that they are doing as well as they have.

Jimbo

Great game today, I am glad I got home early to catch the end. I really believe this is going to go down to the wire, but if cleveland can sweep the royals and the tigers struggle against the yanks again, it will be hard for the tigers to catch up....but lets also face the fact that neither team is super hot right now and any litttle streak can get either team a good lead in first place.

Great game today, I am glad I got home early to catch the end. I really believe this is going to go down to the wire, but if cleveland can sweep the royals and the tigers struggle against the yanks again, it will be hard for the tigers to catch up....but lets also face the fact that neither team is super hot right now and any litttle streak can get either team a good lead in first place.

Soon Detroit has to snap out of this funk they are in, so I am expecting them to start playing well down the stretch and the pitching to start to gell, now that they are all back (with the exception to Kenny Rogers).
I do not expect Cleveland to keep up the pitching like they have of late.

Jimbo

Last edited:
The game on Thursday was lost thru Detroit Tigers' offense leaving double players on base by comparison to Cleveland Indians - all the way thru nine innings. In extra innings, and without either team's starters, someone was going to lose.

Issue with Tigers is that they've lost ten consecutive series since the All-Star Game with exception of even-numbered series that resulted in splits. They've been playing like garbage against inferior-ranked organizations, such as Kansas City Royals, Chicago White Sox, and Oakland Athletics. It's reached a point in which any other AL team should want to play Tigers.

This season isn't over yet; but it's so discouraging it seems Detroit is deflated.

There's so much to say. But I think it doesn't matter now if Tigers lose the AL Central division - and miss the playoff berth along with it. (More and more I'm thinking Seattle Mariners, in the AL West, win that AL Wild Card. If Tigers overtake Indians for the division, they're liable to get swept by - and I'm estimating here - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Note: Boston Red Sox would host Mariners; I won't predict who'd come out on top in that showdown.) You gotta play with brains above brawn, and the organization will have to regroup and strategize to come back big in 2008. The team has been rebuilt, and now it's a matter of a savvy and tough approach.

The game on Thursday was lost thru Detroit Tigers' offense leaving double players on base by comparison to Cleveland Indians - all the way thru nine innings. In extra innings, and without either team's starters, someone was going to lose.

Issue with Tigers is that they've lost ten consecutive series since the All-Star Game with exception of even-numbered series that resulted in splits. They've been playing like garbage against inferior-ranked organizations, such as Kansas City Royals, Chicago White Sox, and Oakland Athletics. It's reached a point in which any other AL team should want to play Tigers.

This season isn't over yet; but it's so discouraging it seems Detroit is deflated.

There's so much to say. But I think it doesn't matter now if Tigers lose the AL Central division - and miss the playoff berth along with it. (More and more I'm thinking Seattle Mariners, in the AL West, win that AL Wild Card. If Tigers overtake Indians for the division, they're liable to get swept by - and I'm estimating here - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Note: Boston Red Sox would host Mariners; I won't predict who'd come out on top in that showdown.) You gotta play with brains above brawn, and the organization will have to regroup and strategize to come back big in 2008. The team has been rebuilt, and now it's a matter of a savvy and tough approach.

I agree with the assesment of yesterdays game, the Tigers had plenty of chances to win, once again could not get the clutch hit.

Still not giving up, If Sheff's not out for tooooo long, they may be ok.
This is the first time all year that they are only a few players short of full strength.
Sheff was the main off season move they made.
The pitching is starting to come around ....
I am not counting any one out yet, even the Cards are back in thier respective race after doing nothing all year, these teams all swing on momentum, it's time for the Mo to swing towards Detroits way it's been the other way for 2 months now. :up

btw, What is the Red Sox record since the All Star break (slightly above .500 ? )

They are not a lock to blow anyone away come playoff time either.

The teams right now that I would be worried about if theplayoffs were to start today would be Anehiem and Seattle

Jimbo

Last edited:
Detroit 's only chance to make the playoffs is to win thier division. I think they are rounding into shape, hopefully it's not too late.
The Tigers have not had a complete line up that they were expecting all year, so it's amazing that they are doing as well as they have.

Jimbo

And it just got a whole lot tougher, losing Sheff indefinitely.... at probably the worst time of year.

And it just got a whole lot tougher, losing Sheff indefinitely.... at probably the worst time of year.

This team will either make it to the playoffs or not with thier pitching, either it will come around now that they are just about back to full strength or the will continue to struggle and Not make the playoffs.

That said, Sheffs' bat would help the overall scheme of things.
Remember, the Tigers played pretty well in the beginning of the season and Sheff was pretty much non existant, struggling thru the first few months getting use to his new situation, but one he started hitting, he stung everything.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)