Diamond 9000 PVR strangeness

Status
Please reply by conversation.

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
While waiting (probably forever) for Diamond to come out with new firmware that fixes the damage done by the 131p pirate firmware, I've pretty much delegated my 9000 to being a nice PVR for OTA ATSC stuff (plus channel surfing on sat).

I used the 9000 to record the Superbowl, and since I'm originally from Pgh, I was intending to archive this recording. Well, since the SB, I recorded several short programs (most by accident), and yesterday, I deleted a bunch of unwanted recordings. When I got down to just the last couple recordings, I finally realized that none of these seemed to be the SuperBowl. The recording that I THOUGHT was the SB now had the wrong date, and it was listed as being only 22 min long, and when I started playing it, it started out with replays of the SB, ie after it was over, and the date was a week after the game.

Anyway, I was NOT HAPPY, and didn't get much sleep, trying to remember tricks I used to use 15 years ago to recover deleted files from damaged DOS disks (these tricks probably wouldn't work with 27 GB worth of files).

Anyway, this morning, I put the hard drive on my laptop, and found out that the superbowl had NOT been erased, it was all still there. Apparently what had happened was that in the process of deleting a half dozen other recordings, that apparently the index file for the SB recording got corrupted, so that the Diamond 9000 got confused, and thought that the recording wasn't there. I'm now in the process of making an archival copy of the game. :)

Anyway, just a warning to any Diamond users, if you record anything that you really don't want to lose, I recommend moving it to another hard drive on another computer, because there are apparently some bugs in the Diamond firmware that put the recorded files at risk. I'm pretty sure that if I had started recording any new program OR deleted the bogus 22 minute recording, that it may have really wiped out my SB recording.

I don't recommend anyone record anything with the Diamond. Its just too flaky...its just a receiver, and not a very good one at that, but its about the best we have right now for HD/S2 out of the box...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)