Diamond 9000HD PVR Review

All outputs are live at all times. I have the HDMI to TV, but if the wife is watching the Sub, I connect the Portable DVD to the Composite Video to "check" things.

As far as I know, you can not "backup" to start a recording.
You can "Time Shift" (default 30 min, adjustable) ,Pause or Record.

EPG - simple "No" to all.

You set recordings by timer(once, daily, weekly) Easy, but not as easy as using an EPG

Only Sub-Channel is recorded.

Did you update the Firmware? Ver 1.04 is latest from Factory.

also, here is a sort of "trick" for adding DVB-S2 TPs via Remote
=============
Create two satellites via channel editor. The satellites need to be next to each other. Add only two transponders to each of them. Make each transponder a 8psk pilot on tp, they can be fake numbers... Upload the channel list. Go menu --> channel search --> move over to a one of the 8psk satellites that you added --> manual scan --> then change the satellite to the other 8psk satellite you created and you should be in manual scan mode and see all the good stuff. You can now go to any satellite and edit the dvb-s2 tps. Stay in manual or pid mode, if you go to auto you will have to repeat the trick.

It says pilot is on for qspk tps, and the code rate might be incorrect for some, but if you change the code rate via remote or turn pilot on / off it will react to it. You can also add a dvb-s2 tp but only to satellite that have transponders, otherwise it will default to qspk. It still has no way to specify a "dvb-s2 qspk" from "dvb-s2 8psk".
============

I have yet to try.

I was wondering, have you or anyone else gotten this trick to work, because I have yet to have success with it. I've tried following them step for step, and no matter what I do I can't get any additional settings to appear on the Channel Search screen. All I see is options 1 through 7,

I've tried with defining two transponders per satellite, and with only one per satellite. I've even reset to factory defaults and tried again with a new channel file.

I hate to ask, but can someone give me step by step instructions for this trick?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This does work, but it is easier to just use NDFEdit, unless the FEC is unknown.

Update Firmware to 1.04 (latest Factory)

Then, if you want, save your existing Channels List from the STB to a PC
(Straight Thru Cable not Null, can't save channel list to USB using Factory Firmware)

Using NDFEdit:
1. Re-name 2 un-used Sats DVBS21 and DVBS22 (you can name them whatever, but they must be "next" to each other) set LNB options for C Band(not required, I haven't seen a Ku DVB-S2 yet)
2. Delete all existing Channels and TPs
3. Add a "dummy" DVB-S2 TP to each on the New Sats (does not have to be a Live TP)
Example: Freq:3700, Pol: Horz SRate: 30000 , Type: DVB-S2 8PSK, Pilot: On(selected)
4. Save Channel List
5. Upload Channel List to STB
6. Position Dish to Sat needed
7. Go to the Channel Scan menu
8. Change to New Sat DVBS21
9. Change Scan Option to Manual
10. "Arrow Up" to Sats then "Arrow Left" to change to New Sat DVBS22, you should now see the "Extra" options.

The Extra options do not change, when you change from one TP to another. Enter what info you know to be true, Freq. Pol, Scan Rate, FEC, Pilot (there will be no option for QPSK / 8PSK that follows the "dummy" TP you entered in NDFEdit.

Use the G14 DVB-S2s for practice.

Thanks much for the response.

Something's brain dead - either the receiver or me. I followed your instructions to the letter (I'd already updated to the 1.04 factory firmware), and the extras still won't appear.

So I decided to try just using the channel editor, using the info for the 4060 G14 feeds on Lyngsat. I tried using the manual scan option after entering this data, and nothing was found (even though the signal level was at 94%). Next, I tried the PID scan, after entering the specific data for the first lyngsat entry. Still no dice.

I then verified that the receiver was working at all (terrestrial is fine), and tried scanning regular DVB-S HD feeds and SD feeds. I successfully scanned two muxes off of Galaxy 15.

I updated the firmware with a USB stick, as I didn't have a serial cable at the time (I do now). Could this be an issue? The system information screen says 1.04, as does the STBtool program.

Any other ideas?

You're looking for Quality not not Signal. You may have to "Bump" the dish Left / Right.
Lyngsat's FEC is wrong, use 30000
When using NDFEdit, did you select "DVB-S2 8PSK" for the 2 Dummy TPs?

Lak7--

I never did see the quality bar move on G14. I peaked the dish position and skew prior to this. On some of my old receivers, after entering correct freq, pol, and SR, I'd see the quality meter register. I didn't on the Diamond. Should I see that if the parameters are correct?

Yes, I double checked the transmission selection and it was DVB-S2 8PSK. During my initial attempts, I defined new satellites below the Echo 1/2 entry. After reading your initial reply, I instead modified the Telstar 12 and NSS7 (?) entries at the top of the list after deleting all transponders on those satellites.

Okay, I only tried the SR of 29270 and FEC of 3/4. Is the FEC listed there correct?

Sorry, meant to sat SR is wrong.

4060 V 30000, FEC 3/4, Mod DVB-S2 8PSK
4080 H 30000, FEC 3/4, Mod DVB-S2 8PSK
FYI: lyngsat has the wrong SR, the correct SR is 30000

Thanks, I'll try this again when I get home.

Does the quality bar show up after entering correct parameters but before a scan?

Thanks for that info. I'll try then to see if I can use the quality indicator to further tweek dish position and skew.

I have a Diamond 9000, I recently updated to 1.04 firmware. This NDFEdit, is this a file that can go into the receiver also? And the over the air guide does not give me any information on the local channels. I have a separate receiver that does give me the information. What would cause the diamond receiver to not give me the channel information?
Thanks,
Cathyig

I have a Diamond 9000, I recently updated to 1.04 firmware. This NDFEdit, is this a file that can go into the receiver also? And the over the air guide does not give me any information on the local channels. I have a separate receiver that does give me the information. What would cause the diamond receiver to not give me the channel information?
Thanks,
Cathyig

The NDFEdit is the channel editor. It doesn't go in the receiver! If you have it on your computer, you can upload the channel file from the receiver, (add TP's, channels, etc..) then download it back to the receiver. As far as the OTA guide, i have my antenna hooked to the tv and not to any of my receivers. I can't say if it works on OTA or not, but i don't know of any receiver (none that i have) that will get EPG.
Hope this helps.

UPDATE: The DVB-S2 TP "Trick" can only be used with older "Alt" Firmware vs. Factory(my bad), which also allows you to save your Channel List to a USB drive. Which is why I had it loaded in the first place.
I have since found it easier to use NDFEdit and a cable(which I rewired a Null to a Straight). However, in the spirit of FTA, I tried the latest firmware, doesn't work the same for adding a DVB-S2 TP, but it does "show" the extra info. Maybe somebody is listening to all my emails.

This does work, but it is easier to just use NDFEdit, unless the FEC is unknown.

Update Firmware to an older Alt version, as in Orig. review.

Then, if you want, save your existing Channels List from the STB to a PC
(Straight Thru Cable not Null, can't save channel list to USB using Factory Firmware)

Using NDFEdit:
1. Re-name 2 un-used Sats DVBS21 and DVBS22 (you can name them whatever, but they must be "next" to each other) set LNB options for C Band(not required, I haven't seen a Ku DVB-S2 yet)
2. Delete all existing Channels and TPs
3. Add a "dummy" DVB-S2 TP to each on the New Sats (does not have to be a Live TP)
Example: Freq:3700, Pol: Horz SRate: 30000 , Type: DVB-S2 8PSK, Pilot: On(selected)
4. Save Channel List
5. Upload Channel List to STB
6. Position Dish to Sat needed
7. Go to the Channel Scan menu
8. Change to New Sat DVBS21
9. Change Scan Option to Manual
10. "Arrow Up" to Sats then "Arrow Left" to change to New Sat DVBS22, you should now see the "Extra" options.

The Extra options do not change, when you change from one TP to another. Enter what info you know to be true, Freq. Pol, Scan Rate, FEC, Pilot (there will be no option for QPSK / 8PSK that follows the "dummy" TP you entered in NDFEdit.

Use the G14 DVB-S2s for practice.

Last edited:
Lak7--

Thanks for that last bit of info and all of your help through this. Since I'm using factory 1.04 firmware, I guess the trick won't work for me. I'm fine with that, as I can just use the channel editor to input the info directly.

As to my inability to get the S2 feeds on G14 to come in: I found a bad switch in my system that was robbing signal. Once I connected the c-band LNB cable directly to the 9000, I got the signals to pop right in.

I do regret my error, should have been more careful. Hopefully it didn't cause too many headaches.
The "Alt" firmware does cause a bit of "flicker" too. So as I said, it is easier to just use NDFEdit and a Cable. Isn't it a nice picture!

I just ordered a 9000HD off Ebay. I have a Fortec Lifetime Ultra now, and am really looking forward to getting some HD to watch. I have read this thread and found some good info, probably will have some questions when I get the unit in.

Diamond 9000HD-PVR File Format?

Does anyone know if the HD files (PBS HD) recorded via a Diamond 9000HD-PVR are playable via a MDP-120 or MDP-130?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)