Did ATT Just Throw Dish A (small)Lifeline?

Even 25mb internet, while considered high speed, I would not trust for reliable delivery of multiple streams of HD video, along with other regular use. It'll be more than just niche.

Uverse provides 6 streams of HD video over an 18Mbps connection, best case scenario.

My take away from the article is that Direct tv is getting out of the satellite tv business leaving that field only open to Dish.
I also see data caps coming from the cable companies-unless you of course subscribe to their tv packages.For example Spectrum heavily promotes their unlimited internet but they had to do that to get the merger approved.That promise runs out in a few years.

Not much new there.

And there may be some backtracking down the road, if they can’t get current sat custies to switch over.

I suspect a large percentage of DTV custies simply can’t, or won’t, hook up a box to broadband. ATT may have to offer an extra cost tech installation.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just did a move for a DirecTV customer last Saturday; she's single early 20's. Certainly not the sort of customer you'd imagine using satellite TV, but in my small town that's all that is available.

PS- in case you're wondering, I don't work for ATT all of a sudden. I'm familiar with the D2Lite setup in my 4-plex. We got lucky. The last tenant had a Genie in the living room with one additional outlet in the bedroom, so all we had to do was plug-and-play. I had some coax runs and HDMI cables I donated, and she brought the receivers and power inserter.

FWIW, Directv wanted to charge her $200 for the move, which I told her was downright extortion. In exchange for my work, my landlord knocked some $$$ off my rent.

Needless to say, this experience reinforced my loyalty to Dish. There's no reason to charge somebody $200 to move.

Even 25mb internet, while considered high speed, I would not trust for reliable delivery of multiple streams of HD video, along with other regular use. It'll be more than just niche.
The best I can get from ATT is 18mb. I don't have multiple devices on at once so I can barely limp along.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Why is this ATT new thing any different than Dish's Sling?
'full-service premium package that we would normally deliver off satellite"
Sling/DTV Now use an app on multiple user-owned platforms with a smaller channel lineup (and a pathetic cloud DVR). This is a dedicated box that may or may not have more features, DVR capability, and better trick-play.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)