Did I get hosed? Suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheBigTony

Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Houston, TX
Installer came today and set-up the satelite and reciever. Everything works great!

However after the install was complete, the installer informed me the charge was $50. I asked why and he responded by saying the it was for "everything extra". The install appears to be within the definition of a standard installation. Slimline3 satelite mounted on a pole on the balcony. 2 cables run under the window to the reciever less than 10 feet total distance.

What was the $50 charge for? And did I make a mistake paying it?

Attempted to contact D* twice. Each time the CSR tried to explain that the charge was for a custom install. However, we went through a checklist and each time the install met the qualifications of a standard install.

Thank you for any input...

Installer came today and set-up the satelite and reciever. Everything works great!

However after the install was complete, the installer informed me the charge was $50. I asked why and he responded by saying the it was for "everything extra". The install appears to be within the definition of a standard installation. Slimline3 satelite mounted on a pole on the balcony. 2 cables run under the window to the reciever less than 10 feet total distance.

What was the $50 charge for? And did I make a mistake paying it?

Attempted to contact D* twice. Each time the CSR tried to explain that the charge was for a custom install. However, we went through a checklist and each time the install met the qualifications of a standard install.

Thank you for any input...

You mentioned a Pole mount, on a Balcony ?

Many charge for a pole mount, but not sure what the situation is in your case.

Last edited:
Pole mounts can be considered extra, especially on a balcony, I don't think DirecTV considers any install on a balcony a standard install.

Now that said, if he didn't explain the extra charge before he started then I'd tell him to pound sand. You can't do the work then expect extra pay. If he said there would be extra costs and approximated it for you, then pay up.

I knew the balcony install would likely be more. When the installer first arrived he said it should be around $30 (bc it was on a balcony and required a pole mount). I agreed and I have no problem paying the installer (or anyone) who does extra work. I don't think anyone should be expected to work for free.

I just feel like I got burned with the extra charges. Seemed shady to me

So he estimated $30 before he started, then told you $50 when he was done. It's a bit extra, but I don't think it's out of line. Maybe he could/should have said something during the install, but apparently he didn't.

I do not think you got hosed since he did mention that you would have to pay extra. Granted he was off somewhat in his estimate, but not enough that I would worry about.

Hope you enjoy your service, and welcome to the forum.

Why the charge for a pole mount? That's supposed to be standard with slimline dishes, especially if you can't get mount a dish to a roof. It does seem shady.

Depends on the install. Not sure why it is in some cases and not in others.

Personally, I have never been charged for a pole mount with Directv or Dish. I know many that have.

Same here, regardless of mount used I've never been charged for anything. That's why they get the good tips! :) They've always let me keep the old mounts too; after my chimney mount with support arms I think I have every mount available sitting in my garage.

The way it's supposed to work is that a pole mount is free only if there are no other options for mounting the dish. If there is another way, then the pole is considered custom.

Why the charge for a pole mount? That's supposed to be standard with slimline dishes, especially if you can't get mount a dish to a roof. It does seem shady.

Sometimes pole mounts are free, other times not ....

Not sure what makes the determination about it though.

Sometimes pole mounts are free, other times not ....

Not sure what makes the determination about it though.

If a roof mount location is available - then the pole mount is chargeable.

Dish can only be mounted on a stick built shingle roof.

No Mobile Home roofs
No roof if not asphalt shingled.

Have I seen them on these roofs - Yes. Have I put them there - No. Do I relocate them if I'm on a service call - Normally. and I've never charged for a pole mount, regardless of the available roof option.

If a roof mount location is available - then the pole mount is chargeable.

I've never charged for a pole mount, regardless of the available roof option.

?????

You just said:
If roof mount is available you charge for a pole mount .... then
I've never charged for a pole mount, regardless of the available roof option.

Which is it ?

Jimbo, I think he's saying the pole would be chargeable if the tech chooses to follow the policy to the letter. Technically it is a custom choice if there is another option. That doesn't mean all installers will charge it as custom. Just like some will run an xtra line, etc.

Jimbo, I think he's saying the pole would be chargeable if the tech chooses to follow the policy to the letter. Technically it is a custom choice if there is another option. That doesn't mean all installers will charge it as custom. Just like some will run an xtra line, etc.

Wouldn't his company charge him for the pole he used if it wasn't necessary?

Probably. But I would guess it's logged as los needed or something.

Could be, but don't they do qc checks on the installs? He'd be in deep doo doo if I was his supervisor and he was giving them away for free when they should be charged.

However after the install was complete, the installer informed me the charge was $50. I asked why and he responded by saying the it was for "everything extra".

The way I see it, an estimate is really just an educated guess. If I get an estimate on something, I always figure it will be a little more. When I do get an estimate, I tell them to let me know if it looks like it's going over by 15% or more.

In your case, the installer estimated $30 and charged you $50. Not a huge amount, but still over 60% higher. If it had been me, I would have told him that I wanted a full explanation of what "everything extra" was before I would sign off on the installation. At least then I'd know what I was paying for.

Still, if you're not pleased, it wouldn't hurt to call DirecTV. Even if the charge was legit, they may offer you something, just to keep a new customer happy.

this is why even with the info on what a "free" install gives a customer; the customer should ALWAYS talk to the installer up front to find out what is going to happen, how, when and where; and to also discuss if everything is covered under the free install offer or not.

there is a lot of customer self-responsibility that tends to get ignored; its the American way. don't read, don't care and gripe later with claims of being a victim. God I love today's advances, technology and near close to equal rights, but oh how I wish would could go back to the earlier years of hard work, self-control and personal accountability. (please note this was not directed at anyone specifically)

However after the install was complete, the installer informed me the charge was $50. I asked why and he responded by saying the it was for "everything extra".

Most people just need a satellite dish. The $50 charge must have been for installing an actual satellite on your deck. Seems pretty reasonable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)