Did I just "brick" a Sonicview 360 Premium??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
So I get my hands on a Sonicview 360 premium...and proceed to I think "brick" it. Hope someone can help

OK..it had hackerware in it. No biggie I find the cleaner file and the latest factory. Load the cleaner via USB and power cycle (switch off on)..then I load the factory software. All OK so far

Then I see they list every sat out there...dont want all 200 of those. So I take my "master" list from Channelmaster that has the KU sats and new names and export it to a SV setup. Load that via USB and all looks good. Start to set up sats and realize my list has most satellites with no TP listed. Well since the blind scan sucks (very very slow) and manually loading them will take too long. So I dump my CS5000 list into Channelmaster and export as SV. Saved it as "master" (like the previous one). Load it in and unit reboots like its suppose to.

and now its bricked....it shows "Main" for like 5 seconds (nothing on TV) then it says "n" (from the word main) and reboots....and continues to do that. Remote wont work. I tried to load it via the computer and that wont work

Did I end up bricking this unit?

You should be able to recover this receiver. It is similar to the 360 Elite and there is a solution for it when this happens.
I think you need to reload a sat file, but let me check my old notes on this. GregH

nothing works..

I hooked up my old null modem cable to the old computer. Followed the directions and tried to load a channel list...nothing. Just does the "main" then "n" then continuous reboot
Tried the software and same thing :( (factory software from sonicview site and also tried the cleaner)

I think all you did was pollute the sat file.

If it shows "Boot" and then "Main", you should be able to recover it.

Just to review:
It sounds like the receiver and computer are not communicating. I am sure you know Sonicvivew requires you to turn the power off on the receiver, start the loader program and then turn the receiver power on. The loader program should take over before the receiver gets to Main IF the receiver and computer are communicating.
Could the Computer's com port not be set to the same value as the loader's com port???

Seems I remember another way to recover this thing. I will look for it. The premium is a little bit different than the Elite.'

BTW, I do not think the cleaner file cleans anything. This was something that was released to erase any evidence of hackerware. But it really did not erase what it claimed too.

Some receivers use a straight through serial port cable instead of a null modem/crossover cable for loading files from a computer.

greg
when it boots up it shows 88:88 then "Main" for about 5 seconds then it shows "n" and reboots

There is only one RS232 port on the computer so its set to COM1. I'll try tomorrow to run a different receiver through it (by using channelmaster) to upload a file. I tried both the null modem and the straight through and it wont communicate with it. Tried both the generic channel list and the newest factory file.

Did you check the loader's com port? I think it defaults to com 4.
The SV 360P uses a null cable.

yep null modem
the loader only gave me COM1 as an option

I'm going to try it this morning to verify the cable is good. I noticed on channelmaster it can read/write to the SV directly. I might try and force a channel download that way

the com port works fine as I was able to upload a channel list from the old Pansat just fine. Just tried it this morning

Tried to do that with the SV and it gave me an error as soon as the unit rebooted. Still can't get the SV to accept a download from either the USB port or the RS232 null modem cable :(
cant force a list through CM as the only receiver options are the 4000 and the 1000

Force loading

Iceberg, dug this up for force loading the stb.

From what I've read sometimes it takes power cycling the rear switch a few times to get it to go.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Force Loading SV Elite.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 327
If the force loading does not work. Not sure but i would think you could jtag it.

I guess someone was card sharing on it?

The force load wont work. Although the directions are very well put and I could get into that screen after pressing OK when flipping the switch, I did download the software into it but that didnt help. I tried to load a channel list that way and it wont acknowledge it :(

If the force loading does not work. Not sure but i would think you could jtag it.
how would you go about doing that?

I guess someone was card sharing on it?
no it worked fine yesterday after I flashed it with the "cleaner" file, then the factory. I loaded a "blank" channel list in it that had just the KU sats from 72-125 but that list didnt have any transponders loaded on the sats so I loaded a different list that had some TP's on it and thats when it got bricked (the power cycling that it shows now)

More force loading

Iceberg, did more digging & found these files which you may already have but others might want.
Couple weeks ago had to force load a cnx duo with factory FW for a friend using the null modem cable & it took many tries to get to load. The bootloader had become corrupted, was about to pronounce the stb un-redeemable.
Using the factory loader & FW the progress seem to go in increasing increments with each try. Persistence & patience was the answer.:)

Again, good luck to you!

Attachments

• SV-360Premier _factory bin_V110.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 292
  • Downloader_v1.1.zip
    200.6 KB · Views: 228
  • SV360_Premier_Factory_V0105.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 295
  • SV360Premier_SysCleanFile.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 240
brex
Tried that and still same issue. I was able to load (via the "ok" button while turning switch on) version 1.05, then 1.10 then my "factory" latest (that is how its labelled)

same problem...keeps rebooting. :(

I think its bricked

IMO, If it was bricked, you would not be able to load anything.

You mention trying to use channel master to load a sat file. Are you using the SV channel master program or are you using Channel Master from SharpC?

SharpC Discussion Forum

I don't have any pics of the interior of that stb. Did a quick search for pics but did not venture too far into dark waters to find one.;)
The CNX stb had a 20 pin jtag header, but I didn't have a compatible jtag cable, so I stuck with the null modem serial cable.
Have you tried leaving it off & unplugged for a day, then load it with factory FW?
Maybe open it up & shoot a pic of the mainboard & then post it to see if someone here has an idea for jtagging?

IMO, If it was bricked, you would not be able to load anything.

You mention trying to use channel master to load a sat file. Are you using the SV channel master program or are you using Channel Master from SharpC?

SharpC Discussion Forum

using the actual ChannelMaster program. When I say "write to STB" under sonicview is just 1000 & 4000

Have you tried leaving it off & unplugged for a day, then load it with factory FW?
I did that yesterday. Unplugged it and left it unplugged all night and tried this morning and nothing. Well it "claims" it takes the software using the "switch off/on while pressing OK" button but it still keeps cycling through 88:88 to "main" to "n" back to 88:88 etc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts