Did I just "brick" a Sonicview 360 Premium??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
other side of the coin

Well, even more importantly, now we can get a proper review of a receiver I'd previously never consider!
Not even as a door stop. :eek:

Some more to add ...

I have a similar problem with my SV360-P but this one uses a security chip on Smart Card PCB connector (J7) to act as a SKS dongle.
Also Version is diferent from Iceberg photos "SV360 Premier / Rev0.8 / Mar.06.2009"
Unit boot ok, main start ok , but can not upgrade.
Fails:
RCU dont work even activating it from OK button on front pannel.
Rs232 loader dont work, keeps waiting for STB reset forever.
Tryed everything here in this post without success, also removed security chip.
Force USB loader keep black screen ... My TV connected with component AV.
Changed to CVBS and voila !! USB loader menu on screen.
Updated with factory firmware and unit is responsive again.
Thanks for this usefull thread!!

well I started playing with this a little more and have some good and bad (I'll do more trials and testing later today). This is in no way a "review" but a quick "good and bad" of it :)

Good
-motor control is spot on for Diseqc 1.2 (I refuse to use USALS...force of habit)
-multiple step fine tuning (can step 1,2,3,4,5 or continuous)...made setting up satellites a snap. Set to "5" and press west 4 times...boom you're pretty much honed in on the next satellite 2 degrees away
-adding TP's is a breeze (I'll get to the reason why I'm happy its a breeze)
-press a button while watching TV and the motor option shows up to fine tune if need be
-one button scans from main menu makes it very easy to scan
-simple yet effective menus
-front and back USB ports
-with a hard drive hooked up, one of the options is to have folders set up to put programs in.
-quick access to sat list
-when playing back a program you can change audio settings if need be (this is good when you record a channel that has only one side of audio)
-Works directly with Channelmaster

The not so good
-blind scan is PAINFULLY slow. I have a feeling it scans 10700-12900. Issue is you cant change it. Its one button to scan so you can't change. Basically I load TP's in after scanning them in the Coolsat 5000
-When you press "play" to bring up the hard drive list, it can take 15-20 seconds to bring up the list depending on how full the drive is. I only have a couple GB on it and it took 20 seconds. Even when empty its 10-12 seconds. I shutter to think what happens when its 1/2 to 2/3 full.
-some transponders will either not scan in at all or take 2-3 scans to log the channel. This is annoying as heck. A couple channels that will not log at all (even though have excellent signal) are the Macy's channel on 105W and the "Mexico" one on 93W. Have 70+ quality and neither scan in. A few news feeds took 2 times to log properly and KTEL took 3 times. Pentagon channel took 2 times and only logged one version. A 3rd scan brought in the other feed (one has normal audio, one AC-3)
-The meter in some cases is real spazzy. It will show a legit number (like 55) then spike to 99 then back to original number then back to 99. There is no rhyme or reason. Some TP's show it just fine
-If you the "sat" button to show the satellite list, it shows it as you scanned in satellites and not in clarke belt order. So if you scan say 93, then 72, then 123, then 91 that is how it shows...not 72,91,93,123. Minor quirk but had to note it (other receivers show them in order regardless)
-There is always power going to the hard drive. The Visionsat cuts power to the hard drive when off (the green "O" ring on the HDD goes off)...SV keeps it on all the time.
-If you add a satellite, you cant put the orbital slot in there. Must use Channelmaster to edit the sat.

Quirks
-For some reason when I plugged in my Hard drive (320GB drive) I had to have something recorded on it already or the SV wouldnt acknowledge it. If I plugged it in clean it says "must be in DOS format" and cant do anything. I recorded 30 seconds of programming from the Visionsat then hooked it up to the Sonicview. While it wont play that program, it allowed the drive to be shown and able to record now
-The satellite at 91W. I dont get this one. The channel numbering starts at 4000 (which is fine) but if I scan in 91W it puts the channels at 2001 and labels them "service 1". So I scanned 4 or 5 news feeds today and all said "Service 1" and was channel 2001. When I scanned on Coolsat 5000 it had different names (and one with no name). I am going to try using Channelmaster to edit the sat and see if that fixes it.
-When recording when you hit record it shows 0:00:00 and the picture freezes. The pic comes back after 5 seconds but sometimes the audio is out of sync. I press the "I" button (info) then exit and the audio usually catches up. This is only one some recordings
-when playing back a program if you fast forward and hit play again, it can take 5 seconds for the audio to come back while video plays fine. The audio plays fine if you dont fast forward.

The one thing I want to try tonight is how it handles sports feeds. My Visionsat seems to choke when I record 4:2:0 sports feeds with symbol rate above 10000. Its weird. When I play it back they will stutter. I want to see if the Sonicview has that issue or not.

ICE,

A very good report of your findings so far. You have REALLY been doing your homework on this receiver! I understand that you don't wish to call it a complete review, but you are covering a lot of ground with it so far.

I am nearly opposite from you on the motor fence (USALS vs DiSEqC 1.2). I know you don't care to use USALS, but if you ever get around to trying it with the 360, let me know. This is where I got really frustrated with the 360. I almost bricked it with a REAL brick! LOL

I have not yet hooked up the VisionSat. I am still troubled with one of my AZBoxes that I blew up. Trying to resolve that issue first. If I get that corrected, then my mind will be free to play with other things.

RADAR

I've never owned any other receivers...what is considered a fast blind scan? Mine varies but it's usually less than 5 minutes.

well I bricked it again.....and resurrected it

something with a channelmaster channel list it doesnt like. I loaded CM up and uploaded the list via USB. Made changes and saved as a different name. Loaded back in the SV and it bricked. Recleaned it out and then I had the 200 sat list back. Reloaded my original channel list and the channels showed but the sat list was still whacked.

Loaded my original "factory" file and that allowed me to reload my channel list that I had saved from the box before so the sats are back to normal

Ice

Commenting the problems you described above, just wanted to share some of my experience with SV STBs:

- converting Channel List in ChannelMaster from other receiver models may lead to trouble. Before exporting from Channel Master, always double check what changes were actually made - at times they are not what was intended
- TP & Channel params in SV STBs may differ from same Channel params in another STB model. Try to change freq, SR and other data a bit to lock the channel
- format your HD in SV to get better file system operations read & write speed
- legit SV FW may not being updated for a long time. The latest hackware may have old bugs fixed, while they're not in the legit one
- cleaning the STB involves using several different cleaning files in a certain order (you need to look through certain sites for instructions). One cleaner file can't clean it properly
- when signal Q jumps, bump the motor a bit towards lower Q reading - the signal reception will stabilize
- use Green HD models that are able to stop spinning when not in use to avoid drive overheating and decrease SV Power Supply load
- improper channel naming on FTA sats is frequent issue in SV STBs
- syncing video and audio may indeed take time that appears to be FW issue that was never fixed
- no need to use Serial port instead of USB for STB update etc, unless for network devices if any

- converting Channel List in ChannelMaster from other receiver models may lead to trouble. Before exporting from Channel Master, always double check what changes were actually made - at times they are not what was intended
the last time I bricked it that was from a SV list. I dumped it on the USB drive from the SV, changed it Channelmaster, dumped it back to the USB and reloaded it on the SV....and it died. Wasnt from another model
- TP & Channel params in SV STBs may differ from same Channel params in another STB model. Try to change freq, SR and other data a bit to lock the channel
been there tried that....some channels it will not lock

- legit SV FW may not being updated for a long time. The latest hackware may have old bugs fixed, while they're not in the legit one
eh its no biggie. The factory stuff seems to work for the most part
- cleaning the STB involves using several different cleaning files in a certain order (you need to look through certain sites for instructions). One cleaner file can't clean it properly
I've tried 3 cleaner files and the only one that worked was the one in the post before I got happy :)
- when signal Q jumps, bump the motor a bit towards lower Q reading - the signal reception will stabilize
actually it doesn't in some cases. I know when I'm on the sweet spot of the dish ;)
- improper channel naming on FTA sats is frequent issue in SV STBs
actually other than the 91W issue the other sats name the channels the same as the Coolsat does. For some reason the 91W satellite in the factory is whacked with the KU name but 11250 as the LNB LO and it ALWAYS put those channels 1st in the list. The workaround is to not use that sat, create a new sat for 91W and it works fine then

Xmm... I'm getting similar wrong name issue on 97W, where Al Jazeera etc are coming as Service Channel 1, 2... Same channels on another STB are coming properly named. Of course, I can rename them, but couldn't figure out, why it happens.

I'll try 97W and see. I didnt do that much at the time since I kept having issues. I usually scanned in one TP on each sat to test

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)