Did you get the Windows 10 upgrade notice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I got my notice to reserve Windows 10. I'm running Windows 7. I did read an article that Windows 10 will be the last version of windows.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/05/08/windows-10-to-be-last-version-of-window

It will constantly update.

Windows 10 Home: The consumer-focused desktop edition.
Windows 10 Mobile: The re-branded Windows Phone for smartphones and tablets.
Windows 10 Pro: A desktop edition for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s aimed at small businesses.
Windows 10 Enterprise: Builds on Windows 10 Pro with added advanced features designed to meet the demands of medium and large sized organisations.
Windows 10 Education: Designed to meet the needs of schools with academic Volume Licensing.
Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise: Designed to deliver the best customer experience to business customers on smartphones and small tablets.
Windows 10 IoT Core: Windows 10 for other devices and machines such as ATMs and handheld terminals.​

So I take it that their server will be able to somehow detect your machine when you need to reinstall Windows 10 to it?
They've been doing this for some time with their "Windows Genuine Advantage" wondertool. The thing you have to be careful about is making wholesale hardware changes before the reinstall as it isn't the same computer any more.

I do not think so... MS has finally realized (after XP) that businesses flatly will not pay to upgrade old systems. Consumers do not do so either. So, by giving up a minimal upgrade revenue stream they can save a lot of money by retiring old versions of OSes earlier. They know that motherboards will eventually fail and a new machine (and new windows license) will be purchased.

You could be right but their press releases never quite say that. I suspect that they want to leave the option open.

I'm not sure enterprises and institutions are going to be able to get their head around the concept of "ongoing upgrades" (versus new Windows versions) that Microsoft is peddling. If they can't have a "corporate stable" or LTS version, they may go elsewhere.

Reactions: StevenD
I'm not sure enterprises and institutions are going to be able to get their head around the concept of "ongoing upgrades" (versus new Windows versions) that Microsoft is peddling. If they can't have a "corporate stable" or LTS version, they may go elsewhere.

I work for very large company, and we now use SUSE as a base OS, and if you require it, you get a Windows VM or Windows apps published via Citrix.

Reactions: TheKrell
I currently have Windows 7 and did receive the upgrade offer. Suppose I do the install and do not like it---would I be able to go back to 7 with "system restore"?

The pro version can be set not to auto update for controlled roll outs in companies.

The pro version can be set not to auto update for controlled roll outs in companies.
That probably applies to the Enterprise version.

The issue is that with holding back updates, you're holding back new features that may or may not be important to the Windows experience. Planning when to upgrade becomes a "wait for it and see if it works" proposition.

Our Corporate IT has said "NO" to Windows 10 for now. If we want to play with it on our own that's fine, but it will not be tolerated on company assets.

We have a WSUS and SCCM environment for OS and Software deployment so it won't be available to our users and the pop-up wasn't approved to be deployed in the first place, so the good news is we haven't been getting any phone calls from concerned users.

Enterprise Editions will not get free upgrades to 10. A lot of this are stripped out of 10, I am currently running it in my office. Still think 7 is better. Windows 8 is a disaster.

Our Corporate IT has said "NO" to Windows 10 for now. If we want to play with it on our own that's fine, but it will not be tolerated on company assets.

We have a WSUS and SCCM environment for OS and Software deployment so it won't be available to our users and the pop-up wasn't approved to be deployed in the first place, so the good news is we haven't been getting any phone calls from concerned users.
As they should, it's not even released yet and usually need to be out for some time to be vetted.
I currently have Windows 7 and did receive the upgrade offer. Suppose I do the install and do not like it---would I be able to go back to 7 with "system restore"?
Took me about 2 minutes to revert to my previous OS from the technical preview the other night.

I realized yesterday why I had not received any notifications...all of my computers at home are members of a domain. I deployed a new Windows 7 VM, and after patching, but before it joined the domain, I got the notification.

Me as well, but I wonder if that will be an option with the fully baked OS

There is plenty of software to make an image backup before performing the upgrade. I recommend Acronis Disk Image...super cheap and easy to use. You can backup to another hard drive, internal or USB, or over the network to a share.

You can also use CloneZilla, its free, but only for advanced users.

I'll be waiting a little while until I know it's not causing issues for games and Nvidia's GPU drivers. Until some DirectX 12 games start hitting the market I have little reason to upgrade anyways.

At work we aren't even thinking about upgrading from Windows 7 Professional yet. The notifications aren't showing up on our machines even if we wanted to.

I haven't researched this at all but I haven't heard whether you stay at your level of Windows when you take the upgrade either. For example, we use Windows 7 Professional at work. If we took the free upgrade would they give us Windows 10 Professional or does everyone just get Windows 10 Home? If it's Windows 10 Home only we would pass on the free upgrade and not do anything until Windows 7 is no longer getting software updates.

I got the free notice and decided to give it a try from win 7 professional 64 bit. As I understand Windows Media Center is not supported but I don't use that anyway. They are supposed to supply a DVD player software.

I'm more interested in this if it will support that Virtual Machine mode to run Windows XP mode. I need this on one machine to run some really old software that doesn't have a modern day equivalent.

Anyway, I will only do the upgrade after maintaining a clone C drive with my win7 OS as my alternate boot up drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts