Did you get the Windows 10 upgrade notice?

Hyper-V in Windows 8 is very different from the Virtual PC (XP mode) in Windows 7: USB and other resource redirection doesn't work the same way, sharing the Wi-Fi connection is a challenge, etc.

So, if you are significantly relying on XP Mode you may want to try the Hyper-V somewhere first before upgrading to Windows 10. Certainly make a backup of your virtual machines!

Last edited:
I haven't got the upgrade offer yet on any of the three Windows 7 systems in this household. It's almost the 29th, is this normal?

Last edited:
Search on "Softpedia download win 10 rtm clean iso". There are also instructions out there how to use SLMGR to activate your copy. Pretty cool, but if you use Firefox, Win10 makes it hard to change your default browser.

Will Hyper-V run 16 bit programs like the real XP will?

DRCars

It will. Hyper-V is just a virtual environment. You can run any OS in it, including Windows XP. However, there is a licensing question. The XP mode in Windows 7 included a license to use XP. Doesn't seem to be the case with Hyper-V...

Last edited:
By the way, if for some reason you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10, and you don't want to see that upgrade prompt, make sure to uninstall KB3035583 and then hide it from the list of pending Windows updates.
I have one computer that I want to keep Windows 7 on, precisely because of the XP Mode vs. Hyper-V concerns. So, I have uninstalled the KB3035583 update and I am no longer getting any Windows Upgrade prompts.

I haven't got it on my main Dell Desktop with 8.1. My Dell tablet with 8.1 got it. My HP laptop with Win7 finally got a notice from HP, but nothing in the Windows Update. The only thing I haven't installed on the HP is IE 11.

I'm in the same boat. I run three copies of W7 Home Premium. Two are in VM's on different Macs. One is a standalone Windows machine. The only one to get the Win 10 notice is the VM on my iMac. The others are up to date with patches. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Do you have Service Pack 1 installed? Are you running Windows Update? Check if you have these particular updates installed: KB3035583 and KB2952664.

For some reason, I just got 2952664 today on one of my systems. Haven't checked the other two. I haven't installed it yet though. Can't remember if I might have rejected it at some point in the past for some reason.

Yes, it does!

Well, good! I upgraded an XP computer to W8, and it generated an unbootable disk. Apparently this old computer was lacking some security feature in the P4 that was required by W8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts