Difference between Standard and Universal LNBs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Starzone

Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Could anybody tell me what is the differneces between the 2 type of LNB's. I just bought a new 90cm Dish that came with a standard Sat Radar SR-125 LNB. I am replacing my Bid 10 foot DISH with this smaller one for FTA. Could this LNB also be used for dishnet or BEV also?

I am using a PANSAT 2700a Recevier. Planing to point to AMC-4 to catch RTPi.

Universal has the lo and high KU band...standard is just high band

The only satellite in the US that needs low band is Cubavision at 58W (PAS9). Universals are needed in Europe due to most satellites having a low and high band

It will not get DBS satellites with it.

Something that I wish that I knew when I bought mine - Doesn't a universal have a 22khz switch built in, making it incompatible with an external switch?
If this is true, I wish that I had known when I purchased my LNB's.

A universal LNBF is incompatible with a 22khz tone switch, but will work with DiSEqC switch :)

Mark_Calgary

I having a problem with the motor that move the Dish. This was install over 10 years ago and my parents only used it for the RTPi Portuguese Channel. They Live in Toronto and a month ago the signal / DVB they used went down. I try to fine tune the dish then the motor gave out. I try to find a service company but nobody service this anymore. Therefore I decide to by a new 36inch dish and a new pansat 2700a recevier. I don't know much about the big dish and to replace the motor will cost more than just buying the new recevier and dish.

:eek:

Starzone said:
Mark_Calgary

I having a problem with the motor that move the Dish. This was install over 10 years ago and my parents only used it for the RTPi Portuguese Channel. They Live in Toronto and a month ago the signal / DVB they used went down. I try to fine tune the dish then the motor gave out. I try to find a service company but nobody service this anymore. Therefore I decide to by a new 36inch dish and a new pansat 2700a recevier. I don't know much about the big dish and to replace the motor will cost more than just buying the new recevier and dish.

Just buy a new motor? It seems that nobody want to deal with the big dishes anymore. I've had a big dish sitting in my back yard for years. I found out that I have no line of sight. I got it when I didn't know better. Seems the best spot is on the roof. Can't put a big dish up there so I used 30incher.

Starzone said:
Mark_Calgary

Certainly understandable especially if it is only RTPi they want. If you ever have an interest in trying to fix the big dish yourself there are lots of people on this forum who can give excellent advice on how to proceed.

And in the case that you want to get rid of the old dish etc. :( don't send it to the dump right away. I'm sure there are people here who could find a good home for it.

at last... the explanation of why I can't get Cubavision! :) I have an ivacom lnb and was starting to wonder what was going on. Makes perfect sense now. The LNB is standard but the channel on there is universal.

Big Dish

I know it's not Aricebo but I have heard of people using big dishes for amateur radioastronomy. Big is good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)