different satellites, different channels, d*/e*...confused

aliaga61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
:confused:
this is probably a dumb question...but i'm completely new to the whole dish system (other than helping my brother install one years back [and doing a poor job at that]), so bear with me.

i've seen talk and have read the charts about different channels being carried on different satellites, depending on where you're aiming your dish. i know that some of the locations depend on where you're located...but from what i gather from the discussions...you can be in one location (cincinnati in my case) and aim your dish at more than one satellite? if this is the case, i assume that it's not as easy as just pointing your dish elsewhere and getting different channels...you have to be signed up for them through d* or e*.

and related....if a d* and an e* dish are pointed at the same satellite (assuming they are), why can you not get some of the channels off of e* that d* can get. for example - sun dance?

DISH broadcasts its channels from various satellites. Its primary satellites are at 110 degress and 119 degrees. Some locals are broadcast on the its other satellites.

This list shows all of DISH's channels, what satellite they are being broadcast from and various other helpful information.

yeah, i read that one a little bit ago...and that's what sparked a lot of my confusion...there are many more channels there than what it shows on dish's web site for their channel lineup...is their list on their site not up to date, or does the list that you posted the link to depend on your location?

aliaga61 - The same point in the sky, aka 119, 110, etc, does not necessarily mean the same physical satellite. More than one satellite can exist at a particular slot.

And, even within the same satellite, you have different transmitters, referred to as "transponders" in satellite-speak. The different transponders, or TP's, can broadcast different channels from different providers.

Finally, the different providers, Dish, DirecTV, Voom, etc, use different methods for encoding and encrypting the signal, so only that providers receivers will work correctly with that providers signals.

The exception, I believe, is with certain channels that all providers broadcast without encryption. They are available via "free-to-air" or FTA systems. There is a list of those channels somewhere. I forget.

All of the channels in the 7000, 8000 and most of 9000 range are local channels as indicated by the city name next to them. You will only get those local channels from your local area (if available).

GaryPen said:
aliaga61 - The same point in the sky, aka 119, 110, etc, does not necessarily mean the same physical satellite. More than one satellite can exist at a particular slot.

I believe DISH has 3 satellites at 119 and two at 110.

not up to date... hell those dish channel charts you get with recievers are so outdated theres several cahnnels on 119 and 110 that arnt on there.

Part of the reason is that simply because those sats are there in the same basic location they are several miles apart at the same location. Another reason is the varianc ein the types of signal. Even more perplexing is the fact that E* cant authorize its recievers to pick up D* channels.

i think i get the gist of it now. i just figured that they'd have their channel lineup up to date so they can sell their service better to customers. that's mostly what threw me off.

thanks.

I believe the line-up from the DISH website is up-to-date. Do you have a specific channel you are referring to?

yeah...sun dance channel. on that chart that you posted a link to, it shows that it's available under the the AEP package...doesn't show it at all on dish's site

Unfortunately, that rule does not work. Let's just get RECEIVER down and we can move on to the next word. :)

chaddux said:
Unfortunately, that rule does not work. Let's just get RECEIVER down and we can move on to the next word. :)
OK. The ones that drive me crazy are people spelling definitely as "definately", lose as "loose", and voila as "walla". (WTF is a walla?) It makes me wanna smack people in the head with a dictionary. (Hard-bound.) I'm just sayin'.

Supposably those are valid spellings in some parts of the country. How rediculous! Its there way or the highway, their not gonna change. Your just wasting you're time with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)