Digital Box Only Software Upgrades!

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
We are currently going through yet another firmware/software upgrade in our division. This one is causing some serious problems.

All day long the auth. servers were backed up atleast 3k hits. The pioneer 1000's had to be pulled from the contractors that were not on accounts to be manually updated at the warehouse.

Our poor installers were screaming all day long!

Get ready Orlando, you guys are next!

We are currently going through yet another firmware/software upgrade in our division. This one is causing some serious problems.

All day long the auth. servers were backed up atleast 3k hits. The pioneer 1000's had to be pulled from the contractors that were not on accounts to be manually updated at the warehouse.

Our poor installers were screaming all day long!

Get ready Orlando, you guys are next!

We had an upgrade last night. It went fairly well but it was only for some of the older boxs we have.. like the first 8200 dvrs and some others, and I beleiver the sa 3250 was involved as well...

Typical problems though some boxes not taking the upgrades so a large volume of service calls are scheld. for the next few days so be patient if your customer waiting..

We had an upgrade last night. It went fairly well but it was only for some of the older boxs we have.. like the first 8200 dvrs and some others, and I beleiver the sa 3250 was involved as well...

Typical problems though some boxes not taking the upgrades so a large volume of service calls are scheld. for the next few days so be patient if your customer waiting..

what areas was this done or is being done? im in saint pete. i havent watched much tv so i havent noticed anything lol.

we're getting ours tonight...im not looking forward to tomorrow
I had a couple issues with a SA 2000 today, but all it needed was a hard boot

Pioneer Voyager 1000 and 1100 Models
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 Models

Those are the boxes affected by the upgrade. Just fyi it should finish by tonight.

Brevard county. My SA8300HD did weird reboots AM 2/14/07. when I turned system on, it was in the middle of a Passport Echo load, which froze for about 4 minutes at 75% done, then did another complete reboot, which completed successfully.

Aside: Whenever reoot happens, the sound comes back on at full volume. Annoying.

Are you sure it was only for the models you listed?

Brevard county. My SA8300HD did weird reboots AM 2/14/07. when I turned system on, it was in the middle of a Passport Echo load, which froze for about 4 minutes at 75% done, then did another complete reboot, which completed successfully.

Aside: Whenever reoot happens, the sound comes back on at full volume. Annoying.

Are you sure it was only for the models you listed?

For orlando area yes, not sure about brevard thats a differnt operating area...

and the volume thing is an easy fix change the remote to work the volume through your tv instead of the box so their isnt a differnce in the sound..

It's the same for us here in Brevard. In fact, we actually pulled all the Pioneer 1000's from all the contractors. They have to be done differently if they were not on accounts.

Most likely the reboot for your 8300 was I think, dont quote me on this, was they sent out a blank reboot to all boxes to get them to have them check to see if they needed upgrading. Just guessing on that part.

I know my dvr rebooted as well last night but I didn't pay much attention to it.

...and the volume thing is an easy fix change the remote to work the volume through your tv instead of the box so their isnt a difference in the sound..

But then, I would have to keep switching the remote's focus back and forth from CBL to TV to CBL to TV, etc. in order to control normal functions...or have both remotes in my hand all the time. Too inconvenient.

Besides, there's another reason I need it that way--but I don't recall it :) I know when I first got a box, it was set up for TV volume and I had to get the code to change it over to box control. I think it was a background hum done the other way.

Real solution would be for the cable box software to save settings and restore them after the boot. I'm sure there's some flash memory in there that could hold the data. All they have to do is put the save/restore code into the program.

Last edited:
yea...it matters on ur remote, but I think the code is 993 to change the default volume control...

it also seems that ur cable remote is not programmed to the the tv at all so you'll have to find the booklet for your specific remote. If u know the procedure for the code search, It's 991 to get into the search

Sa8300hd Problem

Last night, my SA8300HD rebooted and it apparently had a problem. When I got home from work today, I turned on my TV and DVR. The DVR had a please wait boot screen on it, then it showed channel 0 and was frozen. Then it rebooted again and when it came back up, I had lost about 15 hours of recorded programs from the last 2 weeks that I had not had a chance to watch. I can't seem to get them back and don't know if it's even possible.

I live in Brevard County and we use the Passport Echo system on our DVR's.

FireStorm69

Last night, my SA8300HD rebooted and it apparently had a problem. When I got home from work today, I turned on my TV and DVR. The DVR had a please wait boot screen on it, then it showed channel 0 and was frozen. Then it rebooted again and when it came back up, I had lost about 15 hours of recorded programs from the last 2 weeks that I had not had a chance to watch. I can't seem to get them back and don't know if it's even possible.

I live in Brevard County and we use the Passport Echo system on our DVR's.

FireStorm69

One big thing that you want to try is doing a hard boot, by unplugging the power from the back for like 5-10 secs and plugging it back in. I had alot of problems that were fixed just by doing that. Actually I had a customer who couldn't even bring up the List on his DVR it told him it was unavailable, he did a couple soft boots, one while I was there and it didn't help. After I tried the hard boot it came right up.
Usually if that doesn't help, theres not much that we can do to try and bring back those recordings. (as far as I know)

If anyone knows please post

Last night, my SA8300HD rebooted and it apparently had a problem. When I got home from work today, I turned on my TV and DVR. The DVR had a please wait boot screen on it, then it showed channel 0 and was frozen. Then it rebooted again... I live in Brevard County and we use the Passport Echo system on our DVR's.

Also in Brevard. I had exactly the same symptoms (see my earlier post), except I did not lose the recorded programs. Guess I am lucky.

You sure hear a lot about people losing the stuff on their DVRs. I don't think the industry has got these things nailed down tight yet, and don't seem to want to.

But then, I would have to keep switching the remote's focus back and forth from CBL to TV to CBL to TV, etc. in order to control normal functions...or have both remotes in my hand all the time. Too inconvenient.

Besides, there's another reason I need it that way--but I don't recall it :) I know when I first got a box, it was set up for TV volume and I had to get the code to change it over to box control. I think it was a background hum done the other way.

Real solution would be for the cable box software to save settings and restore them after the boot. I'm sure there's some flash memory in there that could hold the data. All they have to do is put the save/restore code into the program.

Nope, once you set the remote to use the TV instead of the box you dont have to hit the TV or CBL buttun again. Because once you tell it to use the TV no matter what mode TV vcr, cbl whatever it will always use the volume from the TV... it also helps prevent that static nosie you hear when yo uturn the volume of the box down.. With using the box volume and not the tv what you are doing is basicly turning your tv speakers up real loud then using the box to adjust it.. When you turn the box down your tv is still high so you hear this static/hum type noise... :)

Thanks, stevenl. That's good to know about how the setting works. But now I remember why I needed it the other way. My sound is piped thru my stereo system from outputs on the TV. Those outputs are not controlled by the TV volume control--they run at at a level proportional to the level contained in the signal coming in to the TV. So, I can't control it with the TV.

Thanks, stevenl. That's good to know about how the setting works. But now I remember why I needed it the other way. My sound is piped thru my stereo system from outputs on the TV. Those outputs are not controlled by the TV volume control--they run at at a level proportional to the level contained in the signal coming in to the TV. So, I can't control it with the TV.

You can also depending on the remote have it directly control your sound system as well. If your remote has the "AUX" buttun you should be able to program that to your audio device (works with most not all) then program the remote to use that device as its audio source :)

That may help to, Usally I only program it for the BOX if say the tv is old and doesnt work with remotes or in your case if the remote will not control the recevier..

Ok, the anticipated new code for the SA8300HD will push out on Tuesday (at least on the Pinellas/Pasco/Manatee side) - First real update really since the boxes rolled out in Tampa Bay.

Again, the only reason they are REALLY doing it is because of the new DST.

Good news, this should enable firewire. I suppose that means that many will have many dead boxes next week just like Orlando.

They are getting ready to push it out to me now - and as I have 700GB of storage on mine, if it kills it, I'm hosed, lol.

I'll report if it worked or not - and anything new I see once I play around with it.

But if Orlando is any indication, many boxes will be changed out next week - most likely because they waited so long in between firmware updates.

UPDDATE.....all SA and Pace boxes will get updated.

I was pushed out SARA 1.89.17.1 date code 12/18/2006 in the last hour. Good news is it booted and I did not loose any recorded shows.

I am about to start experimenting with it to see new features and see if IEEE 1394 to DVHS really works now.

First things I see:

OSD now has program time and rating info on titles

Fast Forward and Reverse on DVR now has 4 steps instead of 3.

All reservations APPEAR to be kept intact

Last edited:
SA3250HD updated as well. Took very long time though.

Rebooted successfully and is working.

SARA is now 1.6.0.1801 date code 11/16/06

Pinellas, Pasco, Manatee gets update on Tuesday.

If no serious problems (like what happened in Orlando apparently), Hillsborough, Polk etc get the update 1 week later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)