Digital Breakup on 101 C Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My v7 from China came with no keys of any kind entered. If any seller is sending out receivers pre-programmed to allow TOS, the seller or listing should reported. Has anyone considered recording a few MB of the feeds with audio/video stutter and sending to Freesat? I have no idea of their responsiveness but its probably worth seeing if we can get it fixed.

Last edited:
I am wondering if anyone is having trouble with the Grit Channel, Buzzr and Laff. The audio stutters on these channels like it locks, unlocks and so on. I have two of the V7 receivers and it does it on both receivers. The other channels like Bounce, ATV, Escape and the others are rock solid. Thought it might be a firmware problem, but I downloaded the update and installed it on one of the receivers, but it didn't help. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. I just got the 2nd receiver today, but the other V7 wasn't doing this last night. Any ideas?

I am wondering if anyone is having trouble with the Grit Channel, Buzzr and Laff. The audio stutters on these channels like it locks, unlocks and so on. I have two of the V7 receivers and it does it on both receivers. The other channels like Bounce, ATV, Escape and the others are rock solid. Thought it might be a firmware problem, but I downloaded the update and installed it on one of the receivers, but it didn't help. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. I just got the 2nd receiver today, but the other V7 wasn't doing this last night. Any ideas?
Some others have experienced this as well. More about it here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3915871/

Last edited:
The odd part of this was the fact that the older of the receivers was working great because we watched Laff all evening the day before yesterday and even recorded a couple programs. When I hooked up the new V7 that came yesterday, it went to stuttering on these channels, but the one in the living room was still working without a hitch. It started doing it when I unhooked the one in the other room, and swapped it out with the new one, and it did it there as well. Since I took it back to the living room, now both receivers stutter.

I loaded the latest firmware on the new one last night, but it didn't cure the problem, so I didn't bother updating the older receiver. I find it strange that it doesn't do it on ATV, Justice and a couple other channels in the group. It's even weirder to have the other receiver that was working properly start doing the same thing when I swapped them out. I even tried setting the receiver back to factory default, and it didn't help either. I did save the original flash just in case something went bonkers with the update.

I'm going to try unhooking one receiver on the dual output LNBF to see if it could be something feeding back across the coax. I don't really think that's the problem, but you never know. It's trial and error at this point in time.

Out of the box without any updates these V7s work OK on the Weigel channels?

My luck I'll order a V7 and the 101W issue will be resolved before it arrives.

It's kind of laughable when you think about it. I ordered the V7's to fix the problems with H&I, Movies, Decades and MeTV, only to have issues crop up on other channels. I wonder if there's a commercial receiver available to deal with all these issues at a reasonable price. I saw a receiver made by Cisco sold on Rainer Satellite's website, but a end user version cost over $500 dollars. It does subscription and FTA channels, and has a PowerVU decoder built in. I don't think I'm ready to take the $500 dollar plunge yet.

My V7 worked out of the box (after changing the resolution to 60hz) without any firmware updates.

I changed the resolution on my TV last night. Went from 1080P to 1080I, to 720, to the pan scan mode, 480I and it didn't make much difference. It may have slowed the stutter down, but it didn't stop. I've always had a problem with the picture being spread out left to right too far. It puts some of the information on the screen out of range so you can't read it all. I checked to make sure none of the modes were on wide fit mode. These receivers are strictly HDMI, so there's no way to hook it up using a coax cable to see what that does.

They don't even have RCA jacks to use the raw video (composite). I tried changing the audio settings in the receiver. Some would let you, others wouldn't. It didn't make a difference either. I'll play with it some more and see what happens. I have an HDMI to composite converter I may try tonight and see if that helps. I may try some other brand of HDMI cables. There were a lot of cables out there that were HDMI but were marginal on audio over HDMI, or didn't work at all on the audio end of it.

It does have a mini plug on the back. Maybe that will work. It's hard to believe that a video setting would affect the audio, but anything's possible with electronics. One question Titanium. Did you change the receiver to 60Hz or the television. Didn't realize it had a way to do it in the receiver, but then again, I haven't been completely through the manual.

When my V7 was delivered, the video would not display on my home television. I used a multi-standard TV at the shop to display the V7 TV Setting menu and changed the V7output resolution setting to output a 60hz video instead of the default 50hz. Sounds like some buyers are receiving the V7 with the resolution default set to a 60hz output.

On many STBs, the output selection combined with the monitor input selection to a manual setting instead of auto/handshake will often correct stutter problems. Note that it isn't always just setting the STB or the monitor, but sometimes a combination of both and with a specific resolution. I haven't experimented with the V7 settings myself to see if it has any affect.

Example: If both are set to auto, the stutter may be present.
If both are set to 1080p, the stutter may be present.
If one is set to 720p and the other to auto the stutter may be present.
If both are set to 720p, the stutter may be gone.

The V7 has composite AV output via the 3.5mm rear panel jack. This output is only available in 480i/60hz or 576i/50hz resolutions. The tip/ring/shank order of the TRRS plug is the same as the microHD. Here is a diagram I made for the microHD a few years back:

Attachments

• microHD AV Plug.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: Babadem
When my V7 was delivered, the video would not display on my home television. I used a multi-standard TV at the shop to display the V7 TV Setting menu and changed the V7output resolution setting to output a 60hz video instead of the default 50hz. Sounds like some buyers are receiving the V7 with the resolution default set to a 60hz output.

On many STBs, the output selection combined with the monitor input selection to a manual setting instead of auto/handshake will often correct stutter problems. Note that it isn't always just setting the STB or the monitor, but sometimes a combination of both and with a specific resolution. I haven't experimented with the V7 settings myself to see if it has any affect.

Example: If both are set to auto, the stutter may be present.
If both are set to 1080p, the stutter may be present.
If one is set to 720p and the other to auto the stutter may be present.
If both are set to 720p, the stutter may be gone.

The V7 has composite AV output via the 3.5mm rear panel jack. This output is only available in 480i/60hz or 576i/50hz resolutions. The tip/ring/shank order of the TRRS plug is the same as the microHD. Here is a diagram I made for the microHD a few years back:

I have a LG 55 inch television that's a couple years old, and I have been in every menu I can find and can't find anywhere in them an option to change the cycle rate from 120hz to 60hz or any other setting. I didn't see such a menu in the V7 either. It would allow me to change the video quality from 720P to another resolution, but not the cycle rate. I also sent an email to Freesat explaining the problem.

Did they remove some channels from Galaxy 16? I can't get MeTV, Movies or Fox 5 Osage Beach. It's missing on both of my receivers. Re-scanned and still not there. :( Still have MeTV and Movies on SES-1.

no there there just weak. others having problems also. talked about here http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/kbrk-no-signal.361951/

I was wondering what was going on. A few months ago, I had a good signal on these channels, and over time, they progressively got worse, but even then, I had a good signal on these channels on SES-1 so I didn't think much about it. Now, I can't get enough signal on this satellite to lock MeTV 1&2 SD, and barely enough to lock MeTV HD, about 52% on the signal quality. Like some others in here, I am having audio stutter on Laff, Grit and the Buzzr, channel.

My wife and I sat down last night and weighed the issue and decided to hook up our old receivers, the HDVR 3500's. Of course we lost H&I, Decades and Movies, but we were able to gain Laff and Grit on Galaxy 19, which we like just as well as the others and there's no stutter in the audio. For some reason, I had to manually add Grit and Laff because even after adding one, the receiver would not find the others during a scan of that transponder. In fact, it deleted the other, so I re-entered them again and it worked with one little hitch.

When I go to one or the other of these channels, it will change channels showing the other channels information, but it failed to switch to the other channel. If I go to a different channel and back to that one, it will work. I tried to enter the transponder, symbol rate and polarity. When I tried to save it, it came up with a transponder conflict error code, even though that transponder isn't in the list. I'm going to try adding some more of the channels tonight and see what happens. There are two more of those channels, I'd like to get working if possible, but if not, we'll be satisfied with the two we have. They were stuttering bad on the Freesat V7 receiver, so it's a plus we can watch them now.

My old receiver with the motor drive in it is a Uniden Ultra. Can't see where the dish is going since the display only shows up when the receiver is hooked to the TV.

I have a Harmon Kardon stereo receiver that needs a display for the treble, bass and most settings. It's on a shelf above the computer and I ended up needing a small screen. I had an old portable DVD player and it works great. It won't play DVD's anymore but I plugged it into the switched power on the back of the stereo so when you turn on the stereo the display comes on. It's a Apex 7" and color too! Ask your friends (with kids) if they have a broken one or pick up a cheap one up at a yard sale. They make great small monitors, just make sure it has the 3.5mm A/V input.

All channels have very good SNR and almost error free BER when analyzed on the AI S2 meter and with the TBS6983. The AI S2 meter, the GEOSATpro HDVR3500 STB and the TBS 6983 PCIe are locking the channels without error. I agree that there does not seem to be any problems related to the frequency.

The GEOSATpro microHD is not reliably locking and only will show a SQ reading every few seconds and programming intermittently. The signal type reads as a CCM DVBS QPSK, but the intermittent lock almost looks like it does on an service with ACM coding.

The Manhattan 1997 and GEOSATpro HDVR1200 do not display any signal quality or signal lock.

wvman - Replicated SIDs on any satellite does not necessarily cause a problem. Multiple transponders on a satellite can share the same Service IDs without any problem as long as the services are not within the AFT range of the receiver. The SID confusion that many receivers have on this satellite is caused by the transponders being within the tuners automatic tracking range.

Brian,

As you know I've been having problems with these channels that I've thought was wind, then temp and now I don't know. A while back I had a thought...what if it is the temp in Chicago that is the problem? I started checking the weather up there and sure enough, when it was cool there it worked here, but it was cool here too. Only one time I caught it cooler (70 or so) up there and warmer down here and it was almost watchable. Also, cooler weather here doesn't guarantee it's going to work. But tonight, right now, it's 65F in Chicago and Decades looks better than I have seen it in months, watchable but a little irritating with an audio skip now and then and a picture freeze for a split second at times. But, it's 65F here too! I'm in southwest Missouri.

In the heat of the day it's dead around here anymore. I can't get a blip out of it most of the time. So what do you think? It's possible heat up there is causing drift, right? Oh, and I have a feeling if I tweaked this new LNBF a little better it may lock solid. I'm sure it is off but not by much. My wife and I used the cordless phones in intercom mode to tune it and I usually go wire up to it and get it dead on but it was raining off and on so I just got it really really close. I've been reading here for awhile and something fishy is going on if all of you experts can't figure it out (and I mean that seriously)!

Temperatures affecting a LNB performance is different than the temperature affecting signal transmissions. LNBs are designed to provide similar performance within the operating temperature range that exceeds all but the most extreme climates in the harshest regions. Daily and seasonal temperature changes within the LNB's operational range should not have significant performance changes if the LNB is working properly. The major issue with DRO LNBs is the frequency drift. The transponders that we are talking about are not skinny, so receivers should be able to track typical 3 MHz stability of a DRO. The problem with some receivers is of course that these transponders are only separated by 4MHz, so combined with frequency drift, this can cause problems locking.

Other than weeding out defective and poor performance LNBs and misaligned feeds, I do not believe that reception issues with these channels are related to the type of feed or LNB used.

Temperatures, exposure to the sun's heat and solar rf radiation do affect the earth's atmosphere and the ability for signals to pass through. This affects signals traveling up to the satellite from an uplink and down from the satellite to your dish.

Heat plays an important role in the RF transparency and concentration of gases and contaminants. Contaminants in the lower atmosphere greatly affect the signals. For example, during fire season, the light smoke in the air will reduce my satellite signals by 10-15%.. Temperature inversions trap and concentrate this particulate matter and increase the attenuation.

Signals pass through these lower layers with the least attenuation when the gases (such as water vapor), precipitation and cloud cover are minimal. For example, rain is often thought to attenuate by absorption, but most signal losses are due to the droplet surface reflection causing the signal to be depolarized. This will attenuate the signal presented at either the satellite input antenna or the downlink station receiving antenna.

The ionosphere layers have the greatest effect on RF. The radiation from the sun charges the particles and the interaction can can absorb, defuse refract the signals. The less exposure to the sun, the less the effect. These layers are in constant change throughout the daily and seasonal cycles. The cold winter months (with the least exposure to the sun), provides the least disturbance to the satellite signals passing through these layers. This is why we observe better satellite reception in the cold winter months.

Typically the uplink centers have monitoring gear that automatically adjusts the transmitter to compensate for these changes as well as for movement of the satellite within "the box". Some uplinks do not have this automation and the station operator manually adjusts to maintain the target power levels. The uplinker has a responsibility to not exceed the maximum power level negotiated with the satellite owner in their link budget. This power level takes into consideration the onboard capabilities of the satellite (including longevity) and interference with adjacent satellites. There is no requirement to maintain a minimum uplink signal level.

The satellite usually is operated to downlink the signal according to the levels presented on the received signal from the uplink. The satellite transponder typically is operated with an AGC circuit to assist with providing a stable output if presented with an input within a specified range. It does not typically adjust or correct for poor uplink signal management. There are many variables that a satellite operator can make during the turn, but typically it is simply operated as a repeater by outputting an image of what is received.

I haven't scanned SES 1 in about 3 weeks. I assume problems still persist on the troubled 3 transponders? How is Decades doing? There are some programs I want to record on July 18th and I hope the signal dropouts aren't too bad. I have a MicroHD. At last check, Decades and Movies! we're coming in wonderful, with a dropout or two every few minutes. H&I was just plain unwatchable.

Decades, Movies!, H&I and METV all continue to lock without any break-up on channels are playing fine without any break-up on these receivers:
FreeSat V7
HDVR3500
TBS6983
K1+

What firmware version are you using?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)