Status
Please reply by conversation.

PundaSmith

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hello,

I am interested in switching from Comcast TV to either Dish or Direct.

I have 2 HD TVs, and would need DVR on the main (living) room TV. Basically, I need Fox Soccer TV HD and MSNBCHD.

Below are the estimates of my preferred packages from both carriers. I would be very grateful if someone could guide me in terms of which would be a better choice.

Thanks - PS

------------------------->

DISH PACKAGE:

America's Top 250 $64.99
12 Mo Promo Cr $-15.00

ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING:
Philadelphia, PA Local Channels: Included
HD 250 Free $0.00
Service Plan (15/0) $6.00
Service Plan CR $-6.00

HARDWARE:
RCVR 612 HD SOLO DVR Included
RCVR 211/411 HD SOLO Included
DVR Service: $6.00
HD Solo Receiver: $7.00

MONTHLY TOTAL: $62.99 + $1.54 tax = $64.53. (After 12 months, this increases to about $90.00

DIRECT TV PACKAGE:

CHOICE ULTIMATE: $68.99
$24 Bill Credit for Months 1-12: $-24.00
$5 Bill Credit for Months 1-12: $-05.00
HD Access: $10.00
DIRECTV DVR Service: $7.00
Fees
Receiver Lease Fee (2 receivers): $10.00
Lease Fee Discount (1st receiver) $-5.00

MONTHLY TOTAL: $61.99 (After 12 months, this increases to $90.99

Not sure exactly what your asking for, your pricing you have outlined above (if it is correct is pretty much the same). Direct (after all discounts are removed) historically runs about $15. more a month than dish for the same type of packages, but I think Dish is probably closing the gap on that one lately.

I personally would not go with Dish specifically for the fact that you will be using a solo HDDVR 612 receiver. That receiver is the worst receiver you could possible want to have. Slow/Freezes up/Electricity Hog, you name it its got it.

Direct: If your not a big movie kind of person, you could probably save a bit of money by just going with Direct Choice Extra. Also if you sign up for direct bill they will give you free HD for life (or at least they did me). Your Picture quality will be better than with dish and the equipment better as well, especially if you can get their new HR24 and H24 receivers.

Is Fox Soccer Really Important?

Direct does not offer Fox Soccer in HD, but they do have Gol HD. For both channels you will need to add the sports pack or upgrade to the Premier pack.

Sports pack with Direct is an extra $12.99.

Dish offers Fox Soccer in their 250 and higher package. They also offer it in HD, unlike Direct for now. No need to order the sports pack or move up the the Everything package. If you really want this channel, Dish will be a lot less expensive.

I personally would not go with Dish specifically for the fact that you will be using a solo HDDVR 612 receiver. That receiver is the worst receiver you could possible want to have. Slow/Freezes up/Electricity Hog, you name it its got it.

I would agree with this statement. Our first 612 locked up and froze all the time. The second one did it for a while then stopped. Was very loud and would sometimes reboot on its own. The 722 is a much better machine, but we still had to replace that one due to a bad HDD.

FSC and GolTV are in the Spanish packages too. These packages have the majority of the channels that the English packages have. Take a look at the channels in the Directv site and see what's best for you. You can block the Spanish channels if you wish to do so.

Or you can add the Sports pack and that will give you Gol TV and FSC.

I would not base the decision on price alone. I was previously with Dish for five years and switched to DTV three weeks ago. Many issues at Dish in the last year over deals the CSRs offered over the phone that did not translate to their billing. Messed up installs because CSRs didn't properly analyze issues on the front end. Then Charlie decided to get into a war with Disney/ESPN over HD content.

Direct does not offer Fox Soccer in HD, but they do have Gol HD. For both channels you will need to add the sports pack or upgrade to the Premier pack.

Sports pack with Direct is an extra $12.99.

Dish offers Fox Soccer in their 250 and higher package. They also offer it in HD, unlike Direct for now. No need to order the sports pack or move up the the Everything package. If you really want this channel, Dish will be a lot less expensive.

Fox Soccer in HD is coming to DirecTV next week.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts