Direct Rain Fade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
Is Direct rain fade worse than Dish? I have been out for 30 minutes... It is raining, but I am used to 2 and 3 minute outages at the most. I see signal on 101, I was able to watch SD longer...

Which satellites am I looking at? What bands? I notice 99 has multiples.

Try going in the other room, I never lost signal on my hr22 even during hurricanes and blizzard worst case was I'd switch to SD channels, but a stiff breeze will knock out my HR34 I know it is the HR34 because if I go in the other room to the HR22 or upstairs to one of the H25s I have no problem with signal loss.I know it isn't in the wiring since the 34 is where the 22 used to be. I keep hoping one of these software updates will fix it ,but so far no luck. If it wasn't for the convenience of 5 tuners and not having to choose east/west feeds to record everything on certain nights I'd have sent the 34 back and asked to go back to a dvr that didn't keep dropping the signal.

It was gone in both for an hour... They kept rebooting too. It was irritating, as I could not watch recorded programs.

My first thought was try the HR44... It was searching too.

I never lost signal, might get a little pixelated on the HR22,never had an issue for the first 6 months with the 34, but now I'll loose signal get the dreaded "searching for signal in ...1 " with clear skies and a stiff breeze with the HR34, it got 100x worse after the March software update. I'm hoping the 5/31 update may have finally addressed the issue. If not it actually got annoying enough for me ti sign up for the service plan the end of April and my 30 day wait was up last week. So now I can call and hope that it will have one of it's fits while a tech is here . I know there is no way in H I will ever convince a phone CSR that the software update caused me to loose signal.

Last edited:
Take a look at the weather out in the gulf to your SW. + It is normal for the SD from the 101 to run longer than the HD sats at 99 & 103. If you have prolonged problems the first things to check are dish alignment and wet fittings.

Report how it goes.

Joe

I live in NW Pa, I lost signal more with Dish than with Direct. In the last week I have had more rain fade than normal, I suspect my dish is off by a degree or so ( I think my 5 yr old was hitting it ) I will have Direct come out and readjust ( it helps to have the Protection Plan in this case )

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have both Dish and DirecTV and Dish goes out faster than DirecTV here and most of the time DirecTV won't go out and Dish will and they were both just aligned!! :)

Which satellite(s) are the HD channels on?

What is the nominal signal I should expect on each?

HD channels for D* are on the 99 and 103 Sats, you should expect at least 85 and up on the majority of the transponders, with the exception to the 99(s) and 103(s) as they are spotbeams and you typically have high signal on the one that handles your area and many 0's on others.

Via the signal meter view, I have

99(c), 91%
99(s), 78%

101, 98%

103(ca), 95%
103(cb), 96%

SWM, 100%

That looks pretty good to me... Comments? I was literally off last night for 2 hours.

Is Direct rain fade worse than Dish? I have been out for 30 minutes... It is raining, but I am used to 2 and 3 minute outages at the most. I see signal on 101, I was able to watch SD longer...

Which satellites am I looking at? What bands? I notice 99 has multiples.

Nope
It's been storming none stop down
Here in south Florida for 5 days.

Direc did not go out once.
Dish on the other hand has gone
Out several times.

Those numbers are good, although you should have many for each satellite, not just one. With numbers that good, you shouldn't have been off for that long unless there was a deluge for 2 hours.

I switched it the signal meter, so it would give a composite view of each satellite. Margin on what I put on here is +5 to -5, depending on the Transponder.

Maybe I just had the first really thick, dense clouds I've had in a long time last night. I'll see how it behaves in the next rain.

Via the signal meter view, I have

99(c), 91%
99(s), 78%

101, 98%

103(ca), 95%
103(cb), 96%

SWM, 100%

That looks pretty good to me... Comments? I was literally off last night for 2 hours.

You'll want to look at the next set of Sat numbers where it shows each transponder, the one your looking at is a avg I would guess of all of them.

Depending on the type of rain, yes it can go out for a few hours. Especially a heavy, slow moving tropical type rain fall. We get it like that once a year or so here in SE FL but I've never lost signal for more than 30m to an hour. Normally its a few minutes to 20 minutes during really bad storms.

We had a constant deluge here the last month and we lost signal only a couple of times, usually for a minute or two. Once it was for around 15 minutes. We were getting 2+ inches an hour during that rain.

It happens here more than people say from other places of the country. 2 hours should be really really really rare. Not impossible in a slow moving storm but if it happens often then there is likely somethign wrong with your connections getting wet.

In addition, recorded TV should always be available.

Edit

One other thing, Directv's HD goes out before any other provider due to the bands they are using. Lets not kid ourselves.

Since having my dish re-aligned, I have have only lost HD twice and each time was less than 5 minutes. Before then, I lost HD if a bird flew by. Ironically, I have noticed that even after the HD and then 101 SD channels have gone, the HD and SD from the 119 are still coming through strong.

Depending on the type of rain, yes it can go out for a few hours. Especially a heavy, slow moving tropical type rain fall. We get it like that once a year or so here in SE FL but I've never lost signal for more than 30m to an hour. Normally its a few minutes to 20 minutes during really bad storms.

We had a constant deluge here the last month and we lost signal only a couple of times, usually for a minute or two. Once it was for around 15 minutes. We were getting 2+ inches an hour during that rain.

It happens here more than people say from other places of the country. 2 hours should be really really really rare. Not impossible in a slow moving storm but if it happens often then there is likely somethign wrong with your connections getting wet.

In addition, recorded TV should always be available.

Edit

One other thing, Directv's HD goes out before any other provider due to the bands they are using. Lets not kid ourselves.

I live In Pompano Beach..Getting the same monsoon like weather your getting.
For some reason Direc held up for me. Dish went down several times.

My Mom lived in the Bel Air section many years ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)