Direct Reception in Mexico?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

richard davison

Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
I'm taking our RV on a Caravan Tour through Mexico, down as far as the Yucatan for a 45 day tour in January.

Will I be able to tune into the Direct Satellite(s) in such a southernly position?

I called Direct and they were quick to say it is illegal for them to broadcast outside the US borders.... Yeah, but can I tune in?

Thanks!

Richard Davison
Full time RV'er

Yes, core satellite reception worked fine via normal 18" dish in Guadalajara (Jalisco) and Merida (Yucatan) with my US service. It worked like a charm.

Great! It will work...But where to point the dish?

sampatterson said:
Yes, core satellite reception worked fine via normal 18" dish in Guadalajara (Jalisco) and Merida (Yucatan) with my US service. It worked like a charm.

Thanks! Moving around the country, any suggestions as how to know where to point the dish? I do have the 'finder' gizmo that goes inline on the coax, but it finds lots of 'other' sattelites and it sure helps to narrow the search.

R

No sweat just point towards Houston as you know with compass or your ability,make sure transponder 31 and 32 are getting signals and enjoy. I made as far as El Salvador and couldn't tell the diff.......

what about conecting the directv unit to a phone line? How do you get around that while traveling in an RV? Don't you need to have your STB make a daily call to Directv to keep the card working?

Update!

I got back from Baja April 11. I rec'd Direct easily in Southern US and way into Baja. As soon as I crossed the political line from Baja Norte to Baja Sur (Baja has 2 states) I couldn't pick up the signal. 'Know it alls' told me I needed a 30' dish to receive..... Lot's of big 30 inchers on rooftops picking up spanish digital signal.

I was suspicious that it was more of a political thing versus a technical alignment. I tried over and over to tune in at different locations as far south as Cabo San Lucas and finally gave up. On the way back going northward, as soon as I got back into Baja Norte, I was receiving Direct tv again! Go figure.... :confused:

Rich

Direct on the roll, without a phone....

Sory58 said:
what about conecting the directv unit to a phone line? How do you get around that while traveling in an RV? Don't you need to have your STB make a daily call to Directv to keep the card working?

For what it's worth, I haven't been plugged into the phone jack for over 8 years. Direct used to get huffy about plugging it in, but they've given up. I should add though that I don't get pay per view by just clicking! I have to dial up and call in. Guess how often I do that? ;)

Maybe it has something to do with being registered with them as a 'full time RV'er' Call them and ask for it. They'll want you to send copies of your RV registration(s) and a statement to that effect. Doesn't really matter if you really are full time or not, because the numbskulls still insist on a physical address from you for your "service". I told them I was "a full time rv'er and didn't HAVE a home address" but they weren't happy until I gave them one, and then I gave them a 'mailing address' where they could send the bill.

One thing to note: When giving an address (home) do some research on the internet and find an area where direct does not have local tv coverage. Then you can get the national east and west coast feeds. Also noteworthy, if you WANT local channels from certain cities for any reason, make up a service address in that locale and give them a legit address to mail the monthly bills to. :yes

good luck!

Rich

update too

At my condo in Cabo San Lucas, I am able to pick up and receive Directv service with the "west coast feed" for the network television stations. What does not work is to attempt to use your home address for the service address because it is a spot feed. Kinda like the Directv signal is like a big floodlight aimed at the entire Contential US, while the locals are like a pen light aimed at your city. I can't say exactly how big our dish is at the complex, but I'd imagine it being at least 30 inches and probably more.

If you have a "RV" account you are not required to have a phone line. I know of some people with "RV" accounts who stayed at a trailer park south of the border in Baja California who got a signal just fine. I think getting the national network feeds is an option with most "RV" accounts as well.

How far south can you receive a signal? I guess if you plan on going farther south get a 36" or bigger dish. I've heard of some people in the southern portion of Central America using 8' and bigger dishes to receive Dishnetwork, I dunno about DirecTV though....

No phone line requiured for an RV account eh? I wish I would have signed up this way so I wouldn't have had to go through all the mess I did with my Vonage line. Do the RV account receivers still get new firmware updates though?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problem DSR704

What's the best universal remote control?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)