Direct TV Advocated Lying About Need Of Phone-Line

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is SO stupid, you didn't even read the entire thread troll. I said PAYING for the over-priced items and the $2500+ class to learn how to BBQ is a fraud. Even the person that I was talking to came back and admitted that after he re-read. My proof is I have 2 buddies that signed up and participated in this guys classes and experienced the BURN 1st hand.

As usual, you aren't on to anything; AND I still see no PROOF from you bob. The only thing you are on to bob, is YOUR agenda. AND your sue anyone and everything comments because you are the little guy and want to stick it to whomever you can that appears to be the man. IF anyone cares to go back and troll all your past posts.

Bye bob.

Yes, I did read the whole thing Charper1, and you are still the Fraud here!!! You still have no Proof, and your anti business attitude stinks!! You are nothing more than a leach, that wants everything for free!!! Blow it out your Ear Charper1... RONTGLMAO....

Doctor Bob said:
Yes, I did read the whole thing Charper1, and you are still the Fraud here!!! You still have no Proof, and your anti business attitude stinks!! You are nothing more than a leach, that wants everything for free!!! Blow it out your Ear Charper1... RONTGLMAO....

LOL! All those comments are so far from the truth as usual and were derived purely by your own imagination. You have resorted to nothing more than a typical childish personal attack which is forbidden by the rules, when called out and exposed by not helping to offer hard factual proof of the accusations, which is ALL I HAVE ASKED FOR; if you had some, you would have posted ASAP. You still have offered nothing factually to the questions at hand or to the actual conversation and are killing you own reputation (what little you may have had) by resorting to these tired and senseless acts. You are now ignored.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
What you are talking about? I have never said people aren't being back-charged. When did I say that? I also love how without knowing me personally, you know what I know & don't know.

That isn't even the point. The point is the proof everyone wants to see; the disputed point of is WHO said "LIE TO THE CUSTOMER ABOUT THE PHONE LINE". Was it DirecTV telling the contractors or was it the contractors telling their employees and now blaming DirecTV? Lets see proof as opposed to any blanket accusations without seeing some sort of documentation. Do you have the smoking gun documents?

I love how people want to throw blanket accusations (or agree to same) and then when asked to show some facts and proof they get all bent out of shape and defensive. Facts and proof allow everyone else to understand and see perfectly clear without following just for the sake of following without knowledge. Not everone wants to be a lamb or assume things; IMHO

You got to get to the source buddy. Even if the contractors started the lying, they still only do it because they have to or else they would lose the contract from Directv. Directv do enforce the phone lines, but its not documented. In the end, the installers lose.

This has turned into a blah, blah, blah topic. Bottom line if DirecTV wants my receiver plugged into a phone line, then they will have to pay for the service themselves, I use cell only.

First of all, Those Directv Technicians where driving company trucks and had no right to take company trucks on company time to the local Tv station to complain.

In addition I feel all of them deserve to be fired after talking the way they did about the company they work for on the local Tv station. If they where my employees, I would fire them also.

This has nouthing to do with Technicians lying to customers, but is simply about the Technicians being able to do an installation without getting penalized for not hooking up the phone lines

I have been a Technician and done installations and nobody likes installing phone lines, however its is and has always been part of the installation. The problem is that its never been enforced until now.

The Technicians got a choice, they either install the phone lines for FREE, figure out a way to charge the customer to run a phone line, or take a $5 pay cut per receiver.

As far as technicians telling customers their receiver will not function properly without a phone line, thats simply for the installers protection so the customer doesn't disconnect it after the installer leaves creating an un-necessary chargeback.

But like I said, the technician can install the phone line for FREE, try to charge the customer or take a $5 pay reduction.

Reguardless of the pay incentives being paid to the company they work for, its part of the Job to install the phone line!!!

One thing I do like about DISH Network, especially on the dual tuner receivers is that if the phone line is not connected the customer pays an extra $5/mo.

I had the same issues with my technicians when DISH Network started this requirement. I gave my Technicians 3 options....

A) Install the phone line for FREE (I'll supply phone wire and jacks for FREE)
B) Charge the customer to install a phone line
C) Explain to the customer there will be a $5 per month charge for not having the phone line

Customers generally will not pay to install a phone line, and my installers don't want to be the bad guy and possibly loose the Job telling customers their bill will increase $5/mo so now the install phone lines for FREE.

With over a $35 pay cut on additional receivers over the past 3 years, I simply cannot afford to pay my technicans extra to run phone lines. The dealers have been taking pay cuts for years, installing a phone line is just like an installer taking a pay cut.

My boss would fire us for something like that, no questions asked. He doesn't mind helping you out and give bonus, etc. but crap like that is unacceptable.

Claude Greiner said:
First of all, Those Directv Technicians where driving company trucks and had no right to take company trucks on company time to the local Tv station to complain.

In addition I feel all of them deserve to be fired after talking the way they did about the company they work for on the local Tv station. If they where my employees, I would fire them also.

This has nouthing to do with Technicians lying to customers, but is simply about the Technicians being able to do an installation without getting penalized for not hooking up the phone lines

I have been a Technician and done installations and nobody likes installing phone lines, however its is and has always been part of the installation. The problem is that its never been enforced until now.

The Technicians got a choice, they either install the phone lines for FREE, figure out a way to charge the customer to run a phone line, or take a $5 pay cut per receiver.

As far as technicians telling customers their receiver will not function properly without a phone line, thats simply for the installers protection so the customer doesn't disconnect it after the installer leaves creating an un-necessary chargeback.

But like I said, the technician can install the phone line for FREE, try to charge the customer or take a $5 pay reduction.

Reguardless of the pay incentives being paid to the company they work for, its part of the Job to install the phone line!!!

One thing I do like about DISH Network, especially on the dual tuner receivers is that if the phone line is not connected the customer pays an extra $5/mo.

I had the same issues with my technicians when DISH Network started this requirement. I gave my Technicians 3 options....

A) Install the phone line for FREE (I'll supply phone wire and jacks for FREE)
B) Charge the customer to install a phone line
C) Explain to the customer there will be a $5 per month charge for not having the phone line

Customers generally will not pay to install a phone line, and my installers don't want to be the bad guy and possibly loose the Job telling customers their bill will increase $5/mo so now the install phone lines for FREE.

With over a $35 pay cut on additional receivers over the past 3 years, I simply cannot afford to pay my technicans extra to run phone lines. The dealers have been taking pay cuts for years, installing a phone line is just like an installer taking a pay cut.

Phone lines in for free, you are a funny guy.:D
If you are in the retail side of buisness, then you are lying about paycuts.
You are probably getting chargebacks (not paycuts) due to having poor installers, (no good tec puts phones in for free).:D
You also sound like one of those retailers who lie to customers.:eek:
You being on the dishnet side still does not require phone lines for the 311 recievers.Thank goodness for your technicians sake (poor bast#$ds).
I myself install for dishnetwork and the retailer i put dish in for, tells the customer the truth from the start. If phone lines are needed the customer will pay for it. If customer has cell phone house ,then they will pay the $5/mo fee for each dual tuner.
I also use to work for MASTEC ,and they are notorious for lying. and not paying their employees on time (if they decide to pay). They will also find ways for bogus chargebacks.:mad:

If you truly believe in what you say, then as a customer i would be concerned about doing buisness with you.:eek:
Knowing how you treat your techs, me being a tech, definately would not waste my time with you.:p

Last edited:
cablewithaview said:
My boss would fire us for something like that, no questions asked. He doesn't mind helping you out and give bonus, etc. but crap like that is unacceptable.
I use to be a cable guy making hourly rates and driving company vehicles, all materials ,tools, ect. paid for by the company. Also contracted as a cable guy as well ,but not once did the cable companies that i have worked for ,tell their tecs to lie to the customers.
You being on the cable side know foward and reverse stream is a big advantage over what you can do as to what you can not with a one way stream.:(
Now as a customer who only uses a cell phone orders Directv , will not be penalized for not having phone line ( hard line). The tech who puts in the Directv system for an HSP (mastec) will. ($5 a reciever) . Now weather you make hourly or you get paid per job, do you think it is still right to be charged back for something that is out of your control? Kind of communist dont you think? All those techs felt that way, so they did a brave thing by speaking up and letting the public know what kind of communism is taking place. And they lost their jobs for it. and they all said they would do it again. God Bless Them :up

Last edited:
Poke said:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060502/2248208.shtml

DirecTV Install Techs Claim They Were Forced To Lie To Customers
from the what-a-nice-company dept
While so much attention is paid to the recording industry for its sleazy practices, it's surprising that DirecTV doesn't get more attention for its practices. You may recall a few years ago when they (before the RIAA figured out a similar scheme) sent around letters to anyone they suspected of using a smartcard reader (they got a list of buyers) demanding $3,500 or promising a lawsuit -- even if there was no evidence that the smartcard reader was used to illegally access DirecTV signals. It was a similar plan to the RIAA, where they made it clear that it was much cheaper to just pay up, rather than go to court and prove your innocence (even if you were innocent). Eventually, the company was forced to stop the program, as a court found obvious problems with the practice. Just a few months ago, though, we noted that the company was being fined for two different violations. First, they were telemarketing to people on the Do Not Call list. Second, they were fined for their advertising, which didn't make clear certain blackout info and (of course) additional unexpected fees that subscribers would get.

The latest news story represents even more fun for the company. Apparently, a group of DirecTV technicians in Florida (who work for an outside contractor) have blown the whistle on the fact that the company set up incentives that forced them to lie to customers, in order to get people to hook their telephone lines up to the DirecTV boxes. Technicians were told to tell users that it was required, or the device wouldn't work -- even though that's false. In order to enforce this, the company would fine installers any time a box was set up without a phone line connected. Unfortunately, the article isn't entirely clear whether it's the contracting firm or DirecTV who was directly responsible for the fines or the directives to lie to customers. DirecTV was contacted by the reporter doing the story, and they made it clear they plan to continue the practice of pushing installers to hook up phone lines, because users who do so are more likely to order fee-based content and can be more easily tracked by DirecTV. It's easy to see why DirecTV would want this -- and they could obviously turn around and say it wasn't about "fining" the installers, but simply paying them extra if they hooked up a phone line -- but, the fact that installers were encouraged to lie to customers and "do whatever it takes" to get phone lines hooked up is a problem. Especially from a consumer standpoint, it doesn't make DirecTV look very trustworthy -- even if the ultimate fault is with the contractor.

DTV used to require a land based phone conn for every receiver if there were two or more on an account..In fact the CSR would not activate the receivers if there was no phone line...That requirement is no longer valid..I imagine this is due to the fact that many subs no longer have a land based ph line in their home..The thing that bugged the crap out of us was the fact that DTV insisted we install hardwire phone lines not only free to the customer but we did not get paid for the extra work by DTV either..DTV viewed the hardwire phone line as part of the job....That is why I won't work for a DTV HSP..There is one in the area that I could get a position with in a snap..But I would have to work 6 days a week and maybe 12 hrs a day to make the same $$ as I make working 30- 40hrs in 5 days installing Dish...No thanks..
I don't want to make this about me though..The fact that those techs were required to lie to the custs makes me sick. There's one thing I cannot stand is when I have to apologize or make excuses for deceptive or otherwise inaccurate claims by the sales partner....

cablewithaview said:
My installer insisted I had to have the phone line hooked up. I told him, I'm cell based only, no land line. Then I had to talk w/ DirecTV and sign a statement that I wasn't basically BSing them about not having a phone line. I have only one receiver active at the moment and they just thought it was horrible I didn't have a land line. If they want a land line, then pay for it yourself.
That's strange..They don't even bat an eye..They ask if the phone line are connected..
I will connect them if there is jack available in the room..But since this is a retailer I can charge to run the hdwire...but the HSP's and contractors cannot charge..at least to my knowledge..

Raydr said:
Guys, keep this in mind:

1.) Installers have always been contractually required to install and connect a phone line to each IRD.
2.) The pay that installers got was under the assumptions that they were connecting a phone line.
3.) The installers were warned for MONTHS that if they did not connect phone lines, it would mean less money.
4.) The installers got paid for YEARS at "IRD Installed + Phone Line connected" rates. Now after months of warnings, they started getting "not paid" for each one they did not connect...after years of getting paid for ones they did not connect.

Come on - you're doing less work when you do not connect a phone line. Why should you get paid the same amount as someone who DOES go through the trouble of running and installing a phone line?
Not doing less work..We are satellite installers not telco technicians....let it be known that if a customer needed the telco to install a phone line in their home tat homeowner would be writing a check in excess of $135 to my local telco..Based on that the customer and TV are both getting a huge bargain ..on the backs of the techs..Based on that I disagree with your premise that a phone line is "part of the job"..To me it is extra materials and time..That should be compensated ..We are like any other trade..If an electrician comes to your home to hang a ceiling fan and finds he has to run extra wire to complete the job, he is going to charge you accordingly.....
I have made a choice..I refuse to work for a contractor or DTV HSP that refuses to pay for all work performed...I stand firm on that....

Poke said:
Here is where they used the word "Advocated Lying" came from. So sorry if some of you did not like the subject line but either way "Misleading or Lying" in some cases can be the same.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/74092

DirecTV Advocated Lying
Urged techs to lie: DVR's need a phone-line

Posted on 2006-05-03 08:57:59

Whether or not a DirecTV/Tivo DVR needed a phone line is a common question that springs up in our forum, particular as users migrate to VoIP. The reality is that the phone-line is not absolutely necessary, but some DirecTV technicians in Florida are saying they were forced to lie and tell customers it was, or face having money subtracted from their paycheck (Local6 via Techdirt). "Tell the customer whatever you have to tell them," technician Frank Martinez says he was told by management. "Tell them if these phone lines are not connected, the receiver will blow up."

Here the link to Local6 on the issue which I would take a look at.

http://www.local6.com/problemsolvers/9142100/detail.html

Last year, DirectTV paid out a $5 million settlement with Florida and 21 other states for deceptive practices.

Read more in the link listed above.

I like the craftily worded response by th DTV spokes person that indicates techinicinas not connecting the phone line were denying full use oif the features....What crap...

Hooking up a phone line to the phone block, with a splitter, is a whole lot different than running a new phone line from the demarc... So who ever is promoting putting in that phone line for free, is a "FOOL"....

Running phone lines has never been a requirement, and the Attorney's have proof of that... When they show that in court, D* will be cured of "Sucking Eggs"...

These guys that stood up in MasTec's face, were right in what they did!!! Let it be a lesson to those people who think the Techs should be slaves....

I can't wait to see the next "News Clip", showing more Techs standing up to these ruthless bas*tards.... They need to put a lot of these folks in jail, so that they can get a taste of their own ruthlessness.... LOL

lou_do said:
Their cable connected to the DVR is two way and their to and from line to their transmission center. It replaces the phone line, used by satellite DVRs, which creates the two way communications for them. Satellite reception is one way, from the transmission site to the receiver and the phone line creates the return back to the transmission site.
Dish's DVR is fully functional w/o a phone line...

Doctor Bob said:
[

HTML:
Running phone lines has never been a requirement, and the Attorney's have proof of that... When they show that in court, D* will be cured of "Sucking Eggs"...

now that would be a great day in America .:up :D

dishcomm said:
Dish's DVR is fully functional w/o a phone line...

So is D*'s - what's your point??? :confused: Have several customers who's D-Tivo's work just fine w/out a phone, thank you very much.

Oh, you DID forget to add that E* will charge you an extra $5 to make the 2nd tuner work in their newer DVR's, if you don't have that phone line, while D*'s is ZERO! ;) :p

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
Hmm then why is every other HSP telling there Installers the same thing starting about the same time. Something came down from D* about phonelines.

Have to disagree. If they suddenly mandate phone lines to every receiver instead of the main which is what it was originally and are going to start reducing pay based on all receivers when it was originally just the main, I can see them being partily responcible for this mess. Heck they were stupid enough to market to do not call list (herd E* is in hot water for this now to)

Because D* docks HSP's who in turn dock the installer. Simple as that.

To answer your question. Yes when a receiver doesn't phone home at the scheduled time it becomes non-responsive and a modified programming hit is sent to the receiver telling it to not allow PVP via remote. The PVP authorization has to then come from the satellite just like the original programming authorization did.

Non-Responders are a rolling average and D* sends the report to each HSP. I know for a fact Apex and Premier both base there 3 tier pay scale off this average. The lower the average, the higher the pay. In the area where I work most are going to cell phones. I know I'm at about 45% non-responder because of it, which is bull and keeps me in the base pay scale. Tier 1 pay is 30% or less. Tier 2 is 40% or less and over 40% is base. My area has an unusually high number of cell phone only house holds because of Alltel’s family plan is real big out here (lots of farmer families switching). The only plus to this is my cell phone bill is cheaper because most of the calls are to another Alltel customer.

What it sounds like is Mastec was paying top pay (maybe) to there techs for each install and D* finally cracked down and laid there foot down about the phone line and started docking pay and Mastec's response was to start charging back there techs for each non-responder instead of absorbing the charge backs from D*.

This phone line requirement to every receiver is honestly BS period. What’s sad is D* is taking all this flak because the push for every receiver. Yet no one is crying foul with E*. They require phone lines to, they just aren't putting there foot down yet and are only requiring it on there Dual Tuners and DVR's. I'm willing to bet E*'s lack of enforcement of the phone line is why they’ve created an audit team that’s been compared to the Nazis because of there deception and attitude.

So which is the lesser evil of the two? Phone lines or an audit team that deactivates your service till you put up with them calling you a thief for an hour.

(Typos)

What I don't understand is why this is completely arbirtary..
I a logical world the deduction( which should be a violaton of labor law) should only apply if the cust has a land based ph line..If theyre are cell only why does the tech get smacked?..This is a load of crap..And as i previously stated is thre main reson why I will not work for a DTV HSP...That and the low pay rates....

stevo/65 said:

Union, mmmmm, Yes, that would be a Fantastic Idea... that would force the issue of low pay, and get the price of the installation back up where it should be!!! It would also increase the cost of the overall system.

This would also improve the cash flow, in the Little Guy's pocket, so he will spend more, which is good for the economy...

That seems like a Win / Win situation to me!!! Kick it up a noch...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts