Direct TV fails to provide HD " A TECHNOLOGY FAILURE"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
BrianB said:
What I can tell you is that the 622 is light years ahead of the HR10-250.

The 622 had better be light years ahead of the HR-10-250, after all its what 2-3 yrs old.
With the rate technology is advancing....

Let's just hope that D*'s HR-20-250 is much, much better than the current equipment out there, otherwise alot of people will be dissapointed.

Me included, I am waiting for this DVR to come out, before I jump into D*'s or E's all in one DVR set ups. The only real advantage it will offer me is being able to record the HD, presently, if I am not home to watch, I record and watch it in SD.

Jimbo

I had both services hook up at the same time on my 57" HD RPG and E* wasn't even close to the picture quality of D*, I even had the installer come in and look. He said he would stay with D* They also promised all my Local channels and when the guy came to install he told me to call E* they said they couldn't supply CBS. So after the wife and I saw how bad the PQ was and the Ling CSR. we removed E* the next day.
You think D* has bad customer Service wait till you have a problem with E*.

Plywodstatebum said:
I had both services hook up at the same time on my 57" HD RPG and E* wasn't even close to the picture quality of D*, I even had the installer come in and look. He said he would stay with D* They also promised all my Local channels and when the guy came to install he told me to call E* they said they couldn't supply CBS. So after the wife and I saw how bad the PQ was and the Ling CSR. we removed E* the next day.
You think D* has bad customer Service wait till you have a problem with E*.

This is interesting ......
All along for about forever, all I ever read is how E*'s PQ, is so much better...
Now I have seen several post stating otherwise, for the 1st time I see people stating positive about D*...

I know this is a blanket staement, because some have always perfered the D* , but I found it interisting.

Jimbo

vurbano said:
In how many of those markets are HD OTA viewers going to throw away their antennas for an inferior picture? Certainly someone has some screen caps by now to compare?

Currently in the Orlando market, I wouldn't think to many. Not for the PQ issue, but for the amount of HD & digital signals. Right now D* offers only 4 HD channels, E* offers none, and with an OTA antenna you can get up to 31 HD and digital channels. But I am sure that down the road, after they have the big 4 up and running, nationwide, they will add more.

Jimbos said:
All along for about forever, all I ever read is how E*'s PQ, is so much better...
Now I have seen several post stating otherwise, for the 1st time I see people stating positive about D*...

I know this is a blanket staement, because some have always perfered the D* , but I found it interisting.

Jimbo

I think the type of receiver they are using has a lot has to do with it, A family member has E*, and has that model that has two receivers in one. The second TV is fed with a coaxial cable, into the antenna connection. The picture on the primary set is not to bad but has a faint pixilation when the picture fades to black, but on the secondary TV the PQ is horrible. Pixelation looks like a low resolution Internet photo, and you see the boxes in the picture, on black or dark screens. His third receiver, a stand alone, has a better picture than the other two.

lou_do said:
Currently in the Orlando market, I wouldn't think to many. Not for the PQ issue, but for the amount of HD & digital signals. Right now D* offers only 4 HD channels, E* offers none, and with an OTA antenna you can get up to 31 HD and digital channels. But I am sure that down the road, after they have the big 4 up and running, nationwide, they will add more.
You hit on another great point. Not only does PQ have to be great but D* also has to offer every digital OTA channel in the area or the antennas will not come down. So all of these claims about HDLIL are really much ado about nothing until they offer all of the channels.

Jimbos said:

Jimbo

You are hearing a lot of cheerleading. Even as the titanic sinks these guys cheer. Ken H. over at AVS has both services. Perhaps someone should ask him, a very reputable source, why he doesnt watch his D* feed. :rolleyes:

Direct TV fails to provide HD "A TECHNOLOGY FAILURE"

vurbano said:
You are hearing a lot of cheerleading. Even as the titanic sinks these guys cheer. Ken H. over at AVS has both services. Perhaps someone should ask him, a very reputable source, why he doesnt watch his D* feed. :rolleyes:

All I can say is that, since 1997 I've had both E* and now D*. In terms of picture quality and value for the $$, they were both way ahead of our local cable company.

IMHO, D* equipment (especially the Tivo based units) are much more stable and reliable than E*'s. I haven't had a chance to sample E*'s newer DVR and receivers so I cannot comment on them. Judging from the amount of posts about them and the fact that specific sub-sites have been set up for complaints about them, they're obviously not trouble free.

As to HD offerings, right now E* seems to have the lead. By sometime next year D* may have the lead, nobody can predict for sure.

Many who post here will never be satisfied with anything D* offers, but refuse to switch because they enjoy "bitchin" sooooo much.

As for my Wife and I, we've got way more TV than we've got time to watch right now, especially during the summer re-runs and we'd rather be outside or doing something we enjoy more anyway.

That's just my opinion!

Agree or disagree, that's your option.

tds4182 said:
As to HD offerings, right now E* seems to have the lead. By sometime next year D* may have the lead, nobody can predict for sure.

Many who post here will never be satisfied with anything D* offers, but refuse to switch because they enjoy "bitchin" sooooo much.

That's just my opinion!

Agree or disagree, that's your option.

I agree,
When D* comes out with a better product than E* all the talk will go the other way, and the cycle will continue as technology changes, each comany will continue to progress and come up with newer technologies.
Peoples opinion will change accordingly.

Those that run to the other provider and back when it's convenient, will continue to do so..... I do not like to bounce around.
IF E* had the ST, I would not change., I chose D* for the programming I wanted. For the most part I am happy with the programming provided.

I will continue to look forward to the time when D* gets control of there other sats and have them up and running.

Most people (95%) of subs from either company knows anything about what the companies are doing, they pay thier bill each month and watch thier shows.
They are not informed of new products until they are at the retailors and have no ideas about how many sat's are up there and what thier perticular company is doing to advance.

Jimbo

vurbano said:

Its one source and is his opinion. I have had both E* and D* both are good but I prefer D* just because of the user interfaces.

I was with E* for 7 years and switched about 2 months ago when I brought my 42" HDTV. First, I switched because E*'s customer no service was just that, (of course who really has good customer service these days) and second they had absolutely no retention plan or offers. When I told them I wanted to add HD to my service, they wanted to charge me ridiculous fees. On the day the D* installer completed his great install, I called E* to cancel and they kept asking what could they do to keep me. I told them they should have asked that question the last time I called and it was too late for that. So far, despite the small number of HD channels, I’m very pleased with, D*. Less rain fade, to my old eyes, better PQ, and I got a great deal with D*, even though I had to agree to a 2 year commitment. All equipment was free, Premium channels (which I really don’t need or use that much) and HD free for 90 days and a $5 bundle discount through Bell South. I’m not a sports person, so I’m not interested in RSN’s but do look forward to National Geographic and other national HD channels.

cbeckner80 said:
Less rain fade,

Just to let you know, he rain fade had nothing to do with either service...

IF you have not had rain fade since D* was out, it was because one of two things have happened.

1. Either you have not had a bad enough storm yet, rain fade is caused by severe storm clouds being between the providers sat's and your dish... nothing else. ( keep in mind all the sat's D* and E* use are relativly close to one another)
You will get rain fade IF the storm is bad enough regardless.

2. You D* installer did a better job aligning and fine tuning your dish than the last person. The better the fine tuning is, the worse the storm can get before you loose your signal.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)