direct tv internal installers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

donb

Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
Does direct tv have any internal installers like dish network has with DNS.

Close

An HSP is as close to an in house as you will find. These are an elite group of companies that contract to DTV but use hourly employees for their work(as well as some sub work). There's only a handful of companies with the HSP designation. They differ from most in that they handle work directly from DTV and do service and upgrade work as well.

Most likely he worked for an HSP. The HSP I worked for, would identify themselves to customers as Directv, as opposed to the name of the HSP.

I have been told that DTV is in the process of weeding out retailers and making the shift to a completely HSP installation market.

Need Info on HSP for DTV

Where do I get info on "how to become an HSP for DTV". I am looking to start a company with about 8 techs. Where do I go for the info...

-T

You could contact DirecTV some how, but to be a HSP you'll need to be a very large organization with a very large checkbook. The HSP that I worked for here in Omaha had the contract with DirecTV to cover a 4 state area. Do yourself a favor and do some heavy research.

skid_129 said:
I have been told that DTV is in the process of weeding out retailers and making the shift to a completely HSP installation market.
That's what i've heard from a couple of my supervisors, the biggest complaint from the tech reps, was that there were way too many installers doing everything from opening the equipment and leaving, to pounding gaping holes into the customer's walls. So we bitched enough to get some changes made hopefully.

(Every tech Ive met on this site I would gladly invite into my own home or recomend to another, for an installation)

An 8 tech crew is not going to get you HSP status. Try more like...800.

I work for one of DirecTV's largest HSPs. Our techs are paid piece rate, not hourly. We do still provide company vehicles, benefits, 401K, etc. Most of our guys make 40K - 50K a year. I myself was making closer $63K before I became salaried supervisor.

Every DTV HSP is large sir.....And for those shotty installations,They are caused by HSP's sub training bozo's to install satellites..Most contractors are a class act. What has happened is that everyone tells their buddy, hey I make alot of money doing sats..I don't know daylight from dark , but boy the money is good.Then they work for a little while then boom out into the contracting world they come to mess things up. Most HSP's are there to make the all mighty dollar, and they does this mostly by overcharging their bread and butter for supplies. When a newb comes into a HSP, he is usually out $1,000 for supplies that he has no earthly idea what most of those parts do?
If a HSP sends a tech to a person's house who is in need of a service call...whatever the problem may be, and I mean whatever..You will fix that or you will be back-charged for the job.. I have had to re-wire entire houses with up to 6 drops because, believe it or not, shotty installs over 6, 7, even 10 years ago. Now come on ! I have worked for 3 HSP's with all them those HSP's having a screw you attitude, we will hire another when you leave. I will also say that when I was a QC tech for Comm Craft, now DirecTech Southwest...and I was releived of that position and thrown back to installer for not failing enough techs on Qc's...Now I fixed all shotty installs and brought up to spec and the next morning I would say hey guys, lets not let this happen again, They said no, that is not the way it works,u gotta bust them so we have the money to pay you...Now, that is horse hockey and why I left.

I was driving from Los Angeles to Palm Springs 4 weeks ago and there was an automobile dealership East of LA that had at least 80 new white vans with directv logos on the side.

There is another report on another forum of the same sitting in Philadelphia - both markets first to install HD LIL.

Are you saying that these are subcontractors buying these vans?

DIRECT TECH Southwest out of Winnfield, LA is the HSP giving all those new vans to their contractors, making all of them employees..They are all over Memphis also...I seen a truck load also heading to Little Rock...They have a now hiring sign with no phone number listed as of yet of any of the vans.

skid_129 said:
Most likely he worked for an HSP. The HSP I worked for, would identify themselves to customers as Directv, as opposed to the name of the HSP.

I have also heard rumors about this.

cant be done

hsp can not service every square inch of all 50 states.

as big as comcast is (22m subs) they only do 75% of the work , you have baker and PCS in at least 8 states doing the rest.

the hsp cant do it all , hell the hsp and msp combined CANT do it all

Status
Please reply by conversation.