Direct TV odd transponders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lindamayfield

Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
new mexico
I recently added a third receiver to my direct tv satellite. I am using a 2x4 multiswitch and after connecting the third receiver things have gone bad. You can watch local channels on all of the tvs at the same time but when one changes to a cable channel then you can get the voice of the local channel but the picture of another channel on the other tv. One tv gets all 4 transponders while the other two are not getting the 101 odd but are receiving the others. I have switched receivers and cables. It is a new multiswitch so I am really confused as to the problem. Someone Please help.

Do you have 2 live feeds from the dish going in to the switch? Also, if you do have 2 live feeds try barreling the lines and by pass the switch and see if the odds come back. The 3rd receiver you hooked up needs to have a solid line from switch to IRD. No cable splitters

Odd transponders

I do have 2 live feeds from the dish, there are no splitters any where. What do you mean by barreling the lines?
Do you have 2 live feeds from the dish going in to the switch? Also, if you do have 2 live feeds try barreling the lines and by pass the switch and see if the odds come back. The 3rd receiver you hooked up needs to have a solid line from switch to IRD. No cable splitters

I recently added a third receiver to my direct tv satellite. I am using a 2x4 multiswitch and after connecting the third receiver things have gone bad. You can watch local channels on all of the tvs at the same time but when one changes to a cable channel then you can get the voice of the local channel but the picture of another channel on the other tv. One tv gets all 4 transponders while the other two are not getting the 101 odd but are receiving the others. I have switched receivers and cables. It is a new multiswitch so I am really confused as to the problem. Someone Please help.

I do have 2 live feeds from the dish, there are no splitters any where. What do you mean by barreling the lines?

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

A barrel connector joins two cables together. I'm assuming that you have an sd setup and not hd, yes? If it's hd, you can't use a 2x4 switch, it has to be a 6x8 and you need four lines coming in from the dish.

What type of dish is this? How many outputs from the dish? And what is your zip code?

If its not a SD system a 2X4 won't work. You'll need 4 lines from the dish and either you only need 4 lines from the dish or you need a 6X8 multi-switch

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

A barrel connector joins two cables together. I'm assuming that you have an sd setup and not hd, yes? If it's hd, you can't use a 2x4 switch, it has to be a 6x8 and you need four lines coming in from the dish.

I do have an sd setup and I will try the barrel connect, thank you so much, I hope this works.

If its not a SD system a 2X4 won't work. You'll need 4 lines from the dish and either you only need 4 lines from the dish or you need a 6X8 multi-switch

:eek: :D

Even if it is an SD system, if it is a Phase III dish with the locals coming from 119, then a 2x4 won't work. You need a 4x8 (or just cable all three receivers directly to the dish)
That's why I asked about the dish type, and the zip code (so we can see which satellite delivers locals)

So the 2x4 was only used for the Phase II dishes or single lnb?

A 2x4 has two inputs from the dish - one carries even numbered transponders from 101, the other carries the odds. That means as long as 101 is the only satellite you need, the 2x4 will work, with either an 18in round dish or the Phase III. But if you have a Phase III dish and need 119 for locals, the 2x4 won't work, you need a multiswitch with four inputs. But I don't know for certain that is the problem, because the OP hasn't posted the information.

A 2x4 has two inputs from the dish - one carries even numbered transponders from 101, the other carries the odds. That means as long as 101 is the only satellite you need, the 2x4 will work, with either an 18in round dish or the Phase III. But if you have a Phase III dish and need 119 for locals, the 2x4 won't work, you need a multiswitch with four inputs. But I don't know for certain that is the problem, because the OP hasn't posted the information.

Very good! I didn't know that. Thanks for the lesson. Who says an old dog can't learn a new trick! :)

Even if it is an SD system, if it is a Phase III dish with the locals coming from 119, then a 2x4 won't work. You need a 4x8 (or just cable all three receivers directly to the dish)
That's why I asked about the dish type, and the zip code (so we can see which satellite delivers locals)

If you hook up a 2x4 to a Phase III then you'd only get 101

yup. OP's loc says New Mexico and there is only one NM market (Albuquerque) and those are on 119 for SD

CALL SIGN/CHANNEL NUMBER/TRANSPONDER/SATELLITE
KASA 2 25 D7S @119W
KENW 3 25 D7S @119W
KOB 4 25 D7S @119W
KNME 5 25 D7S @119W
KOAT 7 25 D7S @119W
KCHF 11 25 D7S @119W
KRQE 13 25 D7S @119W
KTFQ 14 25 D7S @119W
KWBQ 19 25 D7S @119W
KTEL 25 25 D7S @119W
KAZQ 32 25 D7S @119W
KRTN 33 25 D7S @119W
KLUZ 41 25 D7S @119W
KASY 50 25 D7S @119W

I have a 3-LNB"18x20" it had two inputs and 2 outputs to the switch then I added another receiver and switch, a 2X4 Multiswitch with 950-1450 MHz. My zip code is 87035. All tv's need to either watch local channels or cable channels. When the tv in the first receiver out put changes from local channels to cable then the other tv's switch from local ABC turns into VH1, CBS goes to GSN and NBC goes to Direct TV Cinema, but once all tv's are on cable they can all watch different channels. Very frustrating and confusing as to the problem. Do I need to add a special ground wire?

Last edited:

I have a 3-LNB 18"x20" dish. The connection had two cables from the dish to the switch and two cables from the switch to the two receivers. I got another receiver and wanted to add that receiver to my satellite so I purchased a 2x4 Multiswith, 950-1450 MHz. My zip code is 87035. When all the tv's are watching local channels things are great, or when all the tv's are on cable channels things are also ok. When the receiver that is connected to the r-1 spot changes channels from local to cable and the other tv's are on local then things go funny. If you are watching ABC it has the picture and sound of of VH1, if you are on NBC, you get the picture and sound of Direct TV Cinema and if you are on CBS you get the picture of GSN and sometimes the sound of the local channel. If all the tv's are on cable channels then they all can watch whatever cable channel they want without any problem. This is very frustrating and confusing, I was wondering if I needed a different switch. Please help with a solution.

OK...on the dish itself...more specifically the LNB (eyeballs)
is it one giant piece of plastic with 3 eyeballs on it or can you take them off separately?

If it looks like the pic below that is a Phase III dish. The 4 coax on the LNB you can hook each receiver directly to it. You do not need a switch.

Attachments

• PICT0051.JPG
    PICT0051.JPG
    768.1 KB · Views: 185
Unless you have one of the older Phase II dishes that had a external switch all you need to do is remove the switch from the setup and hook the 3 cables from the receivers to the LNB

It looks just like the picture, but it only has two cables coming out. Do I neet to remove the eyeballs and add another cable for my third tv?

OK...on the dish itself...more specifically the LNB (eyeballs)
is it one giant piece of plastic with 3 eyeballs on it or can you take them off separately?

If it looks like the pic below that is a Phase III dish. The 4 coax on the LNB you can hook each receiver directly to it. You do not need a switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)