Use of old DirecTV receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drogers100

Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
My sons apartment complex at college has switched from cable to direcTV service. They really don't want to enter into a 24 month contract but would like to signup for directTV. I have spoken to a few CSR at direcTV but am not confident all the answers are correct. My question is what will they be lacking if they use any of the following receivers.

HR10-250
H10
SD DVR80
SD DVR40

According to the rep by using my old equipment they do not have to enter into a contract with DTV.

Thanks

It's highly likely none of that equipment will work with the college installation. If it's a new installation, it will almost certainly be an MDU (MultiDwelling Unit) using SWM technology. I would have expected the equipment to be available through the MDU management at the college without the two-year commitment.

:welcome to Satelliteguys drogers100!

I agree with texasbrit, the system is likely the swm type, meaning none of the receivers/dvrs you have will work with it. I'm not familiar with mdu commitments, but since it's at a college it seems like there shouldn't be a two year commitment.

According to the rep by using my old equipment they do not have to enter into a contract with DTV.
Directv wont activate old equipment on a new account
there would be a $20 fee for a new card

If it is a MDU there is probably some contract between Directv and the MDU so the end use (the college kid) doesnt get a 2 year agreement.

Unless something has changed an H10 won't work for OTA if it isn't subscribed.:(

The HR10-250 works like this: Go to settings, channels, off-air channels, scan for off-air channels. After you do that, you should be able to press live tv and see your ota channels. That method may work with the H10 also, but I'm not sure.

The HR10-250 works like this: Go to settings, channels, off-air channels, scan for off-air channels. After you do that, you should be able to press live tv and see your ota channels. That method may work with the H10 also, but I'm not sure.
Well just for grins I dug the thing out and surprisingly it works!Back when I first got it,years ago,I could not get it to work for OTA,which is what I bought it for(ebay cheap).It does need to be hooked to a dish,at least for initial set up to get the OTA to work.Gonna leave it unplugged for awhile and see if it remembers or if it wants to see the sat again.

You're right waylew, it does need to be connected to a dish during the initial setup. I should have mentioned that.

Just plugged it back in and it won't do anything till it finds a sat,but it did remember the scanned in OTAs.Overall a real pain to use as a tv tuner,but at least it could be used if needed.I'm definitely sticking with my HTL-HD's for my tv tuning needs,they just work,and they do analog too!

You may still be able to find owned hr20 's on eBay. that's how I got my old hr20. Always get the receiver id# first before making a purchase to confirm its an owned and not a leased unit.

Is the apartment complex part of the college or privately owned? That might make a difference about a commitment. If it's owned or operated by the college, it would seem highly unlikely to have a two-year commitment especially since they're just changing to DirecTV. I just can't imagine that say a senior with only a semester or two left would be required to commit for two-years. What's he going to do live in the place after he graduates? On the other hand, If it's privately owned, the landlord may just not give a rat's behind if they have to commit for two years or not.

I agree with everyone posting you should not be required to enter commitment if he is just a college student living them x months a year ( x<12) but If really need be, there are a great many d12s on ebay that are listed as owned, also some r16s at that, just remember to call in with the RIDs and verify your not buying a paperweight, I got myself an r22 that i use as hd an hd dvr because of the extra components, and get charged for just a dvr :) saves me 2 bucks lol.

*edit*
Just want to throw in there I also have an HDDVR and HD box leased for MRV and HD services, if you go the R22 route, they will not activate HD without an HDDVR on the account first, and altho it is capable of MRV, it will not authorize it until there are two HD devices on the account, since the r22 is considered a standard dvr (with hd) not an hddvr. So you would need a 3rd hd device to be able to have 2 dvrs. Not sure what your aiming for with package or what not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.