Direct Tv qusestion ( receivers )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yel-mel

Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
I am thinking of ordering Diect tv with a four room set up . Who is the best palce to deal with. Some offer a choice of receivers. Can anyone give me advice on what receiver works best, hughes , DTV..D-10 , samsumg ,RCA.
My bigg issue is the speed of channel changing.

Thanks for any info :)

Well... this is a VERY loaded question as most people will have different opinions.

That said...

The Directv D-10 works great. Downside is that the Menu is a bit small.

The hughes Receivers work good but are being phased out.

If you want a DVR go with the R10 its much improved over its predacessors.

As For dealing with... there are 3 good routes IMO
1. ValueElectronics (10% Satelliteguys Discount) Link at top of every page
2. Local Dealer Some are good some are bad, most will sell you what you need
3. Direct From D* they will send you whatever they feel like.

Ive dealt with VE several times and every time they have been respectable and have dne what is needed to get the job done.

Now as for speed in channel changing. You really wont find much difference in the basic receivers (new ones) because it takes a coupel of seconds for the receiver to send out the signal and locate the correct frequency then start decoding it. Average Channel change time is 2 seconds. This is why the EPG is there.

If you want a DVR expect Channel change times of up to 5 seconds. this is so the DVR can start buffering the signal.

hope this helps.

I have a pioneer DVR 520h-s dvd recorder with tivo.....I have never hooked it up. What DTV receiver would be best with this unit ? Can the basic Tivo features be used without a phone line ? Do you normally change channels with the DTV remote , or like I do know for surround sound use the vcr/dvd remote......

Thanks if anyone knows.......

You have very little choice in basic receivers the Directv D-10 is what you will mostly find. All other models are discontinued and production was stopped about a year ago. Most dealers have sold out their inventory of older models. You will probably change channels with the D-10 remote it will depend on the capabilities of your other remote wether it can control the satellite receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts