direct tv's whole home dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

caesar gdi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Does anyone know if I get two HD DVRs with the whole home dvr system is it smart enough to resolve recording conflicts on both DVRs?

For example if DVR 1 has 3 recordings at the same time will DVR 2 pick up the third recording, allowing me to record 3 things at the same time?

It is not smart enough to resolve the conflicts. Each DVR is its own scheduler and you have to manage what gets recorded where. If you have 4 items set to record at the same time on one DVR it will only record the two that has the highest priority.

do you know if I will be able to set recordings on DVR1 from DVR2 and vice versa

No. You schedule from the DVR that will do the recording or you can set it from the web if you are connected.

S~

so i guess its really not a whole home dvr if you have two dvr's.

Does the play list at least show recordings from both?

I am looking to get the HR24 and H24 with MRV. MY dsl router is in the room where the HR24 will be. MY dsl has been blocked from the rest of the house due to interference with the phone. I'm not familiar with the MRV setup. Will I need to open up the dsl to the room the H24 will be setup? Or is the H24 connected through cable to achieve MRV?

tigerfan33 said:
I am looking to get the HR24 and H24 with MRV. MY dsl router is in the room where the HR24 will be. MY dsl has been blocked from the rest of the house due to interference with the phone. I'm not familiar with the MRV setup. Will I need to open up the dsl to the room the H24 will be setup? Or is the H24 connected through cable to achieve MRV?

The regular and supported MRV does the connection from box to box via coax. You can setup it via the Ethernet ports using cat5 cables but D* doesn't support it. Plus the CSR has to do something special to your account to make it work.

The regular and supported MRV does the connection from box to box via coax. You can setup it via the Ethernet ports using cat5 cables but D* doesn't support it. Plus the CSR has to do something special to your account to make it work.

Thanks. I will leave as is. I do not miss static when on the phone. :)

MRV can work without an internet connection. Internet is needed for other features though.

Yea. I figure for VOD and other Internet features. The HR24 will be connected to the Internet. is there any advantage of connecting the H24 to the net or will it feed off of the Internet connected HR24?

Yea. I figure for VOD and other Internet features. The HR24 will be connected to the Internet. is there any advantage of connecting the H24 to the net or will it feed off of the Internet connected HR24?

I don't believe that the H24 will piggyback the HR24's Internet connection. Since the H24 doesn't have a hard drive that rules out VOD. So they only thing I can't thing of the you would gained by having an Internet connection on the H24 is the TV Apps which IMO isn't worth the effort of running a new cat5 line. If cat5 is already there, sure do it, But if one isn't, I wouldn't do it.

I don't believe that the H24 will piggyback the HR24's Internet connection. Since the H24 doesn't have a hard drive that rules out VOD. So they only thing I can't thing of the you would gained by having an Internet connection on the H24 is the TV Apps which IMO isn't worth the effort of running a new cat5 line. If cat5 is already there, sure do it, But if one isn't, I wouldn't do it.

If you use the Deca modules to setup MRV and have the module for the internet, I would not see why it would not work for the internet on the H24. I agree that it is pretty worthless but some may like the features.

Yes, if you get MRV the supported way with DECA, the H24 will use the internet connection of the DECA that is connected to your router. I just went and checked my H24 and it shoes it's connected to the internet. (Not sure what it's good for, since DOD doesn't show in the menu) All my HR receivers connect to the internet via the DECA cloud. The internet connection is in my home office with my router. I don't have any receivers in that room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.