Direct will pay my cancellation fee if I quit DISH!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dsclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
That's what the mailer said- three free months of Starz/Showtime, some other discount which I forgot and they'll pay the cancellation penalty, up to $200. Send in the invoice and they will give a visa debit card equal to the penalty for leaving Dish early. Could be good for me as I think my free movie channels is almost up.
QUestion- does direct have a HD pvr that allows commercial skipping, or do they still only just allow fast forwarding?
Do they offer ota tuner? If so, is it any good?

hmm i would call d* just to confirm thats the case with the debit card, as far as your questions go, the HDDVR cannot skip comercials specifically, but it can skip 30sec, slp30sec, or ffd. There is an OTA Tuner built into 1 model of hddvr, but it is an older one, and you may or may not receive it. it all depends on luck and what the tech happens to have on his truck at the given moment of your install and nothing else. You could do 1 of 2 things about ota. 1 (recommended) prior to signing up, in your phone call, make them give you an AM21 for free, (they will mail it to you, techs dont have them) this is basically a usb external tuner that will plug into the dvr (also hd boxes with new software) or option 2. After you sign up, you could request the name of the Home Service Providor local to you, and get a phone number for them. Call in and say hi im mr. dsclark and i just signed up for service, my install is scheduled for xxxxxxx, i was wondering if you had any HR20s in the warehouse, and if you could make sure the tech has one with him if so. Get names, if the local office promises it to you, then refuse the install if the tech doesnt bring it, ask to speak with whoever you talked to that told you about the HR20.

The HR20 is the only receiver that has an OTA turner built in natively.

Good luck

I remember when comcast said something to effect of - we'll buy your dish for $300.
In the fine print it said $3 off your comcast bill each month for 100 months.

There is a valid directv will pay your etf up to 200 dollars via pre paid debit card. Which is different then the 100 dollar debit card.

Basically we need a copy of your dish network bill showing your cancelation fee you mail it off to an address ( sorry no online submission for this one ) and we send you a 200 dollar card.
Which is a different promotion then the advertised promo with the 100 dollar card good for anyone.

So basically, you gain $100, not $200 from that deal. If your ETF is over $100 then you are still out of pocket. One could wait until their ETF would end up being $100 or less before switching. I imagine a lot of Dish subscribers will take this deal once they find their bills will be going up.

The skip works the same as it does on the dish dvr but you need to do a simple command to enable it. Go to search and enter 30skip as the keyword. There are a lot of other things that you can do using boolean commands to narrow searches. Check out the Edgecutter threads.

Overall there are some things better about the dish dvrs but that doesn't mean the dtv dvrs are horrible (IMHO). If I were to switch back to Dish I'm sure there would be some things I'd miss about the DTV dvr.

when you work for a company as long as i have, you tend to know your corp office and how they function. for the first time in 3 years. i feel free.

I didn't realize you had worked for DIRECTV for as long as you had(approx. 4 years 2006-2010).

You must know everything by now.

What's their master plan with this offer ?

I bet they get a person to jump ship from DISH network, give the person a $100 or $200 card, then lock them into a 2 year plan, add 100 more HD PPV channels, convert all the shopping channels and religious channels to HD, double the prices of everything. :eek:

I didn't realize you had worked for DIRECTV for as long as you had(approx. 4 years 2006-2010).

You must know everything by now.

What's their master plan with this offer ?

I bet they get a person to jump ship from DISH network, give the person a $100 or $200 card, then lock them into a 2 year plan, add 100 more HD PPV channels, convert all the shopping channels and religious channels to HD, double the prices of everything. :eek:

who said i knew everything? i just know how they function.

given an example.. this i hear far to often..

say you picked out Total choice extra

been on it for a year.. Dtv does re do their packages..

one day u turn on the tv and it says channel not purchase.

you call in and say hey whats going on?

they say we'll get it back on. give me a few minutes.

then they say they cant find the programming you had...

they said they can set you with a new programming.

you refuse, they turn it over to a supervisor.

they said theres nothign they can do,

then you said fine, give me the package.

you find a boost in prices, and youre up to date on your programming... AND an extended 2 year contract.

believe me. this happens FAR to often about this.

OR:

you want to upgrade bc you want locals or update your RCA reciever.

once you get your new upgrade, you are now a new 2 year contract.

DTV will give a 200 visa to anyone switching from Dish if they mail in a copy of the bill showing the etf.

This is not to be confused with the 100 dollar visa that is a different offer.

So you get 200 on top of the 100 offer?

no it one or the other. if Your a dish customer you get 200 but they have to put you down for the right order.

I heard conflicting reports about sales being able to stack the 100 visa card on top of the 200

So going to play it safe and say it one or the other with the 200 vs 100 ... but the 200 does require that you show proof that you had a dish etf of any size

What will direcTV give me not to go to Dish though. My contract is up in 10 days.
$84.99 is tempting for Dish's America's Everything Pak.

That's what the mailer said- three free months of Starz/Showtime, some other discount which I forgot and they'll pay the cancellation penalty, up to $200. Send in the invoice and they will give a visa debit card equal to the penalty for leaving Dish early. Could be good for me as I think my free movie channels is almost up.
QUestion- does direct have a HD pvr that allows commercial skipping, or do they still only just allow fast forwarding?
Do they offer ota tuner? If so, is it any good?

New Direc HDDVRs do not have an off air tuner. But they do make an additional unit that plugs into the DVR that provides OTA stations into the system. The unit works with the DVR so you can record and performs just like the older units with tuners built in. The add on unit's model # is AM21 and they retail for around $60.

As far as your other question. There are two ways to ffwd through commercials on the remote. There is a ffwd button that has 4 speeds. I would recommend using the 30 sec advance button instead. It jumps 30 seconds then starts playing again. Hit it about 6 times and you compress 3 mins into about 30 secs. Not enough pop it 1 more time. too far hit replay button opposite of it which goes back 6 secons than starts playing(maybe a couple times if advanced to far). The reason I don't recommend ffwd it's hard to control the speed and easier to lose your place. Remember trying to ffwd casssete or vcr tapes(too far/not far enough). same thing. Once you get in the habit it becomes second nature when a comm. comes on to zipp right through it.

Oh yeah IMO all subscription Tv services are EVIL! When picking one it's kinda like voting..choosing the lesser of the evils!;)

1 (recommended) prior to signing up, in your phone call, make them give you an AM21 for free, (they will mail it to you, techs dont have them) this is basically a usb external tuner that will plug into the dvr (also hd boxes with new software)
stonecold recently confirmed that a gratis AM21 is no longer an option.

stonecold recently confirmed that a gratis AM21 is no longer an option.

But if you dont have your order installed or confirmed some sales people will add it to the order for you and then give you a 50 dollar cash back credit 10 dollars x 5 months

Remember haggle with sales if your order is not placed yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)