DIRECTDVR-without phone-line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ssimp12626

Oct 23, 2004
Hi. I'm interested in getting DirecttvDvr however, I can't seem to get a general consensus if you indeed need a phoneline. First time I called Direct Tv they said you didn't have to have a phone that it was only for payperview. I called again today and they said you had to have a phone. They said you could use the DVR but you wouldn't be able to record anything without having a phone-line. I can't understand the logic of that as I thought phonelines were analog. I called TIVO and they said you could get an adapter instead of using phone, but needed phone the 1st time to setup. They said DirectTV DVR should work w/o phone but DTV would have to verify. Has anybody been successful of having Directtv DVR without a phone? I'd hate to order the equipment or signup for DirectTv if the DVR won't work. Thanks for any information. SS

cr0mag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 22, 2004
New Orleans, LA
I've had a directivo since they came out, and you do need to connect to a phone line for the initial set up, but after that you can run without the phone line. You will get a 'nag message' stating that the system needs to make a daily call, and you won't be able to order pay-per-view with your remote (just go to the website for it!), but I assure you the system will work fine. Mine did for over 4 months without making a phone call. You can also get a fairly inexpensive set of wireless phone jacks just about anywhere. That's what I'm using now, and my directivo seems to be quite happy with it! ;)
Happy tivoing!

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I had my second one installed yesterday. You will have use of your receiver for watching programs but you won't be able to record anything until you make the initial call.

theslag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 12, 2004
I just got my system up and running saturday, I got my wireless phone jack off of EBAY for 23 bucks and that was with shipping. They work like a champ!!

Patrick G.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 14, 2003
You do NOT need a phone line at any point in the setup or operation of the DirecTivos, aside from ordering pay-per-view via the remote.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
Patrick G. said:
You do NOT need a phone line at any point in the setup or operation of the DirecTivos, aside from ordering pay-per-view via the remote.

Correct :) Jason ... the DVR service is activated by the access card .. via satellite.

Also if you are handy with PC's there is a way around the nag screens.

DTV-T2-Tech

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 8, 2004
slacker9876 said:
Correct :) Jason ... the DVR service is activated by the access card .. via satellite.

Also if you are handy with PC's there is a way around the nag screens.

Wrong you have to have a land based phone line for setup and some software download's and disk maintance (spelling ?).

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
DTV-T2-Tech said:
Wrong you have to have a land based phone line for setup and some software download's and disk maintance (spelling ?).

I would only talk about things you are knowledgeable in. I have yet to have any phone line connected to ANY receiver in my home including either of my two DirecTV DVR's and they work great, have for a couple years!

Thanks!

DTV-T2-Tech

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 8, 2004
slacker9876 said:
I would only talk about things you are knowledgeable in. I have yet to have any phone line connected to ANY receiver in my home including either of my two DirecTV DVR's and they work great, have for a couple years!

Thanks!

I think you need to look at my screen name again and think about what you said. I deal with dvr's all day everyday. :rolleyes:

Barney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 4, 2004
Kyle in Republic of Texas
looks like the question is still waiting for an answer....me too ;)

Edit: I'm like slacker, I've had D* for almost 8 years, have never had a phone-line connected to any of my STB's.

Barney

ssimp12626

Oct 23, 2004
Thanks for the replys. I called once again to Direct Tv and they said you still have to have a phone hooked up to record and use the other features of the DVR. If I order direct tv with dvr and they come to install it will they take away the dvr if there is no phone line. ALso I'm interested initially getting 1 DVR and 2 regular receivers, and also add another DVR for a total of 4 boxes later is there a way to have that setup when they do the initial installation and then later just hook up the other DVR. If the DVR doesn't work initially without the software update if you took to a friends house to dial in how do you know that the update is complete without hooking it up to the satellite. THanks again for any information. SS

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
DTV-T2-Tech said:
I think you need to look at my screen name again and think about what you said. I deal with dvr's all day everyday. :rolleyes:

I see your name :p there are hacks out there that make it so no phone line is required. I am running them on my HDVR2 and DVR40 units. The DVR40 has never phoned home, ever, and my DVR service is fine. FYI it is called fixsub.

HMO is coming too, there is a bounty on another site to publicly release 4.0 for RID units with HMO enabled. Normally I would consider this service theft (and not even talk about it) but can you really steal something that is not and will not ever be offered?

DTV-T2-Tech ... I am not disrespecting you or your position at D*, but there are many things that you can do with D* TiVo units that are not factory options. No phone line is one of them. You should check it out, some of the things are pretty cool. As long as you kep them in the realm of personal use there is no infringement.

cr0mag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 22, 2004
New Orleans, LA
I agree w/ everyone! lol.... but for a new user, the simplest option is a pair of wireless phone jacks. Remember, some of the folks who come here have no interest in hacking their box or rigging special configs. Some folks just want to watch tv. Get the wireless phone jacks, Ssimp12626.... they'll make life a lot easier.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
cr0mag said:
I agree w/ everyone! lol.... but for a new user, the simplest option is a pair of wireless phone jacks. Remember, some of the folks who come here have no interest in hacking their box or rigging special configs. Some folks just want to watch tv. Get the wireless phone jacks, Ssimp12626.... they'll make life a lot easier.

Good point! Most folks who are seeking the no phone line option do not have land lines. This is pretty common in this day and age with the cellular networks being more reliable and companies like Vonage offering 29.99 for unlimited phone usage period!

Wireless in the wonderful world we live in is almost always and option. If Ssimp12626 does not want to hack his unit I should offer that you can take the unit to the neighbors house, plug it in, make the call to get your local numbers and then make the test call. Done. You will get nag screens everyday after 3 weeks, but you will not need a phone line.

You will be able to get PPV if you order on the Internet too.

stevesmall

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 17, 2004
South Jersey
I for one spoke witha dtv tech 2 support person the other night , what a waste of time that was. He told me you couldnt block out pay per views in profiles and you never could, i asked for his supervisor and told him what he said, his supervisor pretty much called him an idiot and agreed i had an issue with my receiver, he is sending me a new receiver

ssimp12626

Oct 23, 2004
cr0mag said:

Hi. I'm a bit confused on the wireless phone jack. If you don't have a landbase phone how would you use a wireless phone jacks. I only use cellphones and don't want to get a phone line just to use Tivo. Thanks

numb nutz2010

Nov 9, 2004
Tivo without a phone?

Hmm, it sounds to me like the only ones who claim to have tivo and have NEVER had it make a call are older tivo subs.
Looks like they may have had the OBSR tivos back in the day when tivo provided the service for like 12.95/ month or lifetime sub. If this is so the tivo's were uploaded with 72 hrs of data out of box so that D* would have time to make the tivo call. This was done b/c D* had to activate the tivo, schedule the tivo service to add ( behind the set this added the customer to a batch file that was transmitted to Tivo at 3:00 AM EST to have a service update preformed ) until Tivo was able to recognize the sub.
It's called Out of Box Subscriber Ready Tivos.
Ever since D* took over tivo service they are required to make an initial service update call before all tivo functions will be available.
As stated previously... take it to a friend's house... hook it to the TV and phone line, let it make the call.... and have fun.

Tech Tier 2 is a great idea. Have the 1st tier solve all the simple problems so people don't have to wait 45 minutes to have a service call scheduled. They don't know everything though. It's like what you guys call " CSR roulette " . I hate that term because it indicates you get different info from different EC's.... but it's true.

~ Just wanna get the correct info out ~

< edited for s/p >

stevesmall

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 17, 2004
South Jersey
Tech Tier 2 is a great idea. Have the 1st tier solve all the simple problems so people don't have to wait 45 minutes to have a service call scheduled. They don't know everything though. It's like what you guys call " CSR roulette " . I hate that term because it indicates you get different info from different EC's.... but it's true.

~ Just wanna get the correct info out ~

< edited for s/p >[/QUOTE]
CSR roulette, I call it CSR RUSSIAN ROULETTE, because after im done talking to one of them i feel like pulling the trigger and hoping for the bullet.!!!!!!!!!! man i hate csr that pretend to know what they are talking about and then insist they are right when you tell them they are giving you wrong info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts