DirecTivo? When?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davidness

Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Florida
I have been a very long time user of DirecTV/DirecTivo (Standard Definition still... yikes!) and I love it. I have been waiting, and waiting for a HD DirecTivo. I see announcements every couple of years indicating that it'll be out soon, but I've been waiting now for several years, reading that it'll be available in just a couple of months. This has been going on for years (I feel like a sucker).

I am a newbie here, but I searched this forum and didn't see any discussion of this topic.

Does anybody really know what the latest news is as of July 2011? (Please, only solid news). I really need to move to a HD DVR, and I can't wait too much longer.

I dont think there is any recent news on it other than it is most likely still coming. Id say just go ahead and move up to the HR series HD DVRs and quit waiting. But thats just me.

In any case, welcome to the forum.

There is no hard news. Some think it may never come about. Now that TiVO & Dish have settled, maybe they can put some resources into it.

I agree with the previous statement. Take a look at the 25.

I don't see the draw to the Tivo brand. I had a Tivo years ago and I wasn't a fan. All it really gives you is a cute UI and "thumbs up/down" buttons, a feature that is wasted on me because it rarely recommended anything I was interested in (Netflix recommendations don't work for me either). To me Tivo is to DVR what AOL was to the internet: training wheels and fluff.

And navy, there is no '25' DVR. There's only the H25 receiver. The HR24 is the top DVR right now (aside from the HR34 server, but that's not being actively installed yet).

If I were him, I would wait for the HR34. At least we know that's coming out for sure and that it's going to be awesome, unlike the Directivo where after 3 years, we still don't know much about it.

I don't see the draw to the Tivo brand. I had a Tivo years ago and I wasn't a fan. All it really gives you is a cute UI and "thumbs up/down" buttons, a feature that is wasted on me because it rarely recommended anything I was interested in (Netflix recommendations don't work for me either). To me Tivo is to DVR what AOL was to the internet: training wheels and fluff.

And navy, there is no '25' DVR. There's only the H25 receiver. The HR24 is the top DVR right now (aside from the HR34 server, but that's not being actively installed yet).

Finger fumble. I meant the 24, as in HR24.

TiVo has missed every date they have promised, I think the box is about three years late now. Most people don't care anymore.

This again? I wonder when that new Model T will come out as well. LOL

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

DirecTV is working on a major update to their on screen guide that should be out this fall. The new HD user interface is rewritten to better use the capabilities of our current generation receivers to deliver an upscale look and feel, while providing much faster performance. It should be out this fall, and if it's anything like the slick iPad app, who the hell needs Tivo's last generation SDUI on an older, slower HR22.

DirecTivo is DOA. It could possibly be a different story if it was all new gear (perhaps a new dual core cpu Intel CE3100 or better, 4 tuners, a full HDUI like their Virgin Media UK custom implementation). But they didn't go that route so I'll pass. DirecTV's new UI update will run circles around anything Tivo can produce.

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't really kept up with what's going on in the world with DirecTV (life getting in the way and all). I know that when the original DirecTivo on the standard definition Phillips (DSR6000) box came out, I really liked it. That's what I'm still using! (updated capacity & added Ethernet.) I seem to remember that when DirecTV originally came out with with their own DVR's, there were complaints. So I decided to wait on the announced DirecTivo HD DVR.

Skip to today.

I haven't been keeping up with how people feel about their DirecTV DVR's, but I take it most people are now happy with the current HR24 offering and are anticipating the HR34 server. That looks like what I'll do; wait and get the HR34 server when available. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)