DirectTV LA (Puerto Rico) STB replacement campaign

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

elcano

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Caribbean
During the past year I have received some calls from DirecTV LA in Puerto Rico offering to replace my Hughes STB free of charge for a more modern one. I have both a Hughes and a Thomson box, but the Hughes (the older one) is my favorite. It is much faster switching channels and the EPG is color coded by programming type (movies, sports, etc.). In addition, it does not waste real state of my TV screen on banners and ads as the Thomson box does. They say that the replacement box is better technology, but nobody can support that statetement with hard specifications.

Obviously, I always rejected the offer. However the last month the frequency of calls increased, and instead of offering a better box they threatened that my Hughes STB would stop working on February 2009. When I asked explanation I got a customer service rep explaining that this is related to the technology changes mandated by the goverment to be effective on that date. I obvously didn't buy it. Not only I know that this is not true, but also DirecTV LA has a page explaining how the transition does not affect their customers.

So from my point of view, they are using FUD techniques (fear, uncertainty, doubt) to force me into a box full of ads. May be they expect to use to transition point to convince me into a more expensive package. I don't know. I just know that they are disinforming.

Do anybody at this forum knows what is this about? Is this true? How is that my 9 years Hughes received will stop working but my 7 year Thomson receiver will continue working without problems? As far as I know, none of them is HD, so what is the difference?

My other question is, what I have to loose if I wait until February to see of their argument is true? Well, they can certainly turn my box off remotely. They could also discontinue the free replacement STB offer too. That should work as the excuse that I'm looking for to ditch them at all. My wife prefers them, but I just too unhappy with the lastest price increases.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts