DirectTV OTA Frustrations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alag8r

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Frisco, TX
I have had Direct TV with the OTA batwing antenna for locals since March, but am getting frustrated and looking for suggestions.

I live in a bedroom community of Dallas called Frisco. The best I can tell, I am somewhere around 45 miles from the local stations. When the installer left, I had good OTA pictures on Fox, CBS, NBC, and PBS. I got ABC too, but with some dropouts.

About three days after the install, I lost ABC completely and have not seen it since. I still had my "big" selection of HD sat channels plus the other four networks, so I just figured oh well.

About a month and a half ago, I lost the NBC OTA signal and about a month ago I lost all the rest. Nothing but black screen on all my OTA stations. We have some big storms from time to time, so I figured I'd had some movement in the batwing from a storm and that I may be able to aim the signal back in, but the antenna was tight and I can't see that there was any movement.

At that point, I decided that I was over my head and called Direct since they sold and installed my antenna. The guy on the phone said check my connections (which I had already done). Other than that, he said I was on my own and that they didn't send technicians out for OTA problems. Dang! Any regular company that didn't stand behind something they sold and installed like this would soon be out of business.

I have wondered if I should try some kind of signal booster, since it is a fairly long run from the antenna/dish, or if I should try a different antenna, but hate to spend a lot of money if its not going to do any good. (especially since I live in Dallas and hopefully we will have the locals via Sat some day). I also wonder about the location the antenna was installed in. My house is basically a one story with a second floor media room. The dish and antenna are both installed right at the bottom of the first floor roof line. Would it work to put an antenna inside the house, but on the second floor.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Rick

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

I'm just to the south of you. Have you checked out antennaweb.org to see where the towers are pointing?

Also, did you know that you can get the national feeds of CBS, NBC, and FOX since the affiliates in the DFW market are owned by their respective networks?

by bat wing, are you talking about the winegard sensar???

if so is it amped or not?

Holy smokes! If it's true that I can get national feeds, then this board is already worth the price of admission. How do I go about getting them? I assume you have to apply for a waiver or something.

I did check out the antenna site (interface thinks i'm trying to post a link and I'm not authorized for that) before I got the antenna and it looked like I would be able to receive channels. I'm not really sure of how the bat wing should be oriented, but if I remember right, it is pointing nearly due south. Maybe just a little west of due south. When I lost signal, I got on a ladder to see if I could figure out if it had moved. It seemed pretty solid and didn't have any marks that indicated that it had been moved. I actually didn't see any adjustments for side to side movement.

I THINK it is a winegard and I THINK it is amped, but I do know why I think that. Maybe something I saw when I was looking at it. I'll look again when I go home tonight. Does Direct TV use the same antenna all the time? If so, it's whatever they normally use I think. Also, I was getting a great picture on most of the networks for a while.

Thanks for your quick responses by the way. I've lurked here every once in a while since before I got my equipment and have really learned a lot.

rick

You will need to call Directv and speak to the HD dept (can't think of the exact name) but they deal strictly in qualifications for the national HD feeds.

I know that ABC isn't owned and operated by ABC in the DFW market. I know for a fact that FOX and NBC are, and I'm almost certain that CBS is too. Since these are owned and operated you don't need to have a waiver sent.

Starting next month Directv is going to roll out HD locals in the top 12 markets, which Dallas is in. We will have our locals in HD from the satellite.

update

I called DirectTV to ask about getting the national feeds. They were really friendly on the phone and I talked to about four different people. Each one would say that we had to request a waiver, but they would be happy to transfer me to the next person up the chain. I finally ended up with what I think was the right department. It was their highest level of customer support and they were supposedly the HD gurus. The guy said that with network owned stations that didn't require waivers, there was a special indication on their computer screen and they could go ahead and immediately authorize. However, he said that none of the stations in Dallas had the special indicator attached to them so I couldn't get them without the waivers. The first person I talked to had already submitted my waiver applications, so I guess we'll see what happens. Not holding my breath though.

I also looked again at the antenna on the roof and it is the Wingard and it says amplified under it. The picture did pop in on a couple of stations over the weekend, but last I looked, I had lost them again. I think the problem is that I am right on the fringe to get them using this antenna. I actually seem to get them if it is a cloudy day, but no clouds, no signal. I'm guessing I must be getting some reflection off the clouds?

Rick

It might be that the power to the amplifier is not on. I would check the power supply to make sure it's plugged in.

hmmm

you're probably right about the amplifier. There is no power going to the antenna. Is the amplifier usually downstream from the antenna, like in the attic. If it is on or in the antenna, I'm sure there is no power going to it.

I wonder if I should try spending $25 and putting another amplifier on it. If so, would it make more sense to put it right beside the directtv receiver or in the attic?

rick

He didn't exactly say that they weren't owned by the networks. What he said was that the stations that were owned by the networks AND that could be approved automatically had some kind of indicator on his computer screen and the dallas stations didn't have it. I wonder if the rule doesn't always apply.

The sad thing is I would gladly take them over the air if I could get them that way.

If they are owned and operated Directv has to allow for the distant networks. That's the rule. I don't know why they are playing hardball about it. I'll find out for myself here in a few weeks once we get everything moved and installed.

A couple of them mentioned something about things changing in November, 2004 with some new law. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

ABC in Dallas is owned by Belo.

Good links Tonedeaf!! I didn't even think of looking there.

Those links pretty much make it cut and dried. I'm going to try again and will let you know how it goes. Thanks for everyone being so patient with me on this.

rick

Well - just got off the phone with direct tv again and they are still saying I have to have a waiver. I gave the guy the web site and he read it and said, where does it say you can have these stations without a waiver. I told him it was in method #1, but he said you still have to apply for and get a waiver before they can turn on the national feed. He said all #1 says is you may be eligible for a waiver if you live in one of those markets.

I guess it isn't as cut and dried as I thought. I still think I'm getting the wrong answer from DirectTV, but what can you do.

rick

Maybe Robert can help shed some light on this.

My understanding is if you live in a DMA who's station(s) is owned and operated by their respective network, then you can get the national feed without a waiver. A waiver is designed to allow someone in a non owned an operated network area to get the national feeds if the local station deems that they cannot get a good enough reliable signal.

I thought about whether is was because of another station being close enough to require a waiver and I don't think it's that because in the first conversations, they specifically said I had to have a waiver from the dallas stations and even gave me their call letters. Also, they have never mentioned that I was close to any other city.

I did try a signal amplifier last night and got Fox, NBC, and PBS with signal strengths ranging from 60-80%. Without the amp, they were all 0%. I still can't get anything at all on ABC or CBS. Maybe it won't be too long before they start sending the locals via sat and this whole thing becomes moot.

thanks again for all of the advice, support, and sympathy.

rick

Status
Please reply by conversation.